Interesting US Passport Statistics...

Old September 11th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Miguel Cruz

Default Interesting US Passport Statistics...

Simon Elliott wrote:
Blatt writes
(other than the anti-Israel boycott of
Arab and Muslim countries, as to which there is a US legal impediment)

I've not heard about this. Care to elaborate?

If you have evidence of travel to Israel (Israeli stamps, Egyptian or
Jordanian land entry stamps) in your passports then there are several
countries that will not let you in. My personal experience on this is with
Syria (I did get in eventually; they thought my Thai stamp was Israeli) but
I am sure there are others.

miguel
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Blatt

Simon Elliott wrote in message ...
Blatt writes
(other than the anti-Israel boycott of
Arab and Muslim countries, as to which there is a US legal impediment)

I've not heard about this. Care to elaborate?

To start with:

22 CFR 51.4

(g) Cancellation of passport endorsed as valid only for travel to
Israel. The validity of any passport which has been issued and
endorsed as valid only for travel to Israel is cancelled effective
April 25, 1992. Where it is determined that its continued use is
warranted, the validity of such passport may be renewed or extended
for additional periods of two years upon cancellation of the
Israel-only endorsement. In no event may the validity of such passport
be extended beyond the normal period of validity prescribed for such
passport by paragraphs (b) through (e) of this section.

(Sec. 1, 44 Stat. 887; sec. 1, 41 Stat. 750; sec. 2, 44 Stat. 887;
sec. 4, 63 Stat. 111, as amended (22 U.S.C. 211a, 214, 217a, 2658);
E.O. 11295, 36 FR 10603; 3 CFR 1966-70 Comp. p. 507)

[31 FR 13540, Oct. 20, 1966, as amended at 33 FR 12042, Aug. 24, 1968;
42 FR 17869, Apr. 4, 1977; 47 FR 56329, Dec. 16, 1982; 57 FR 3282,
Jan. 29, 1992; 63 FR 7285, Feb. 13, 1998]

http://frwebgate4.access.gpo.gov/cgi...ion =retrieve

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2.../22cfr51.6.pdf
Old September 11th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Simon Elliott

Miguel Cruz writes
(other than the anti-Israel boycott of
Arab and Muslim countries, as to which there is a US legal impediment)

I've not heard about this. Care to elaborate?

If you have evidence of travel to Israel (Israeli stamps, Egyptian or
Jordanian land entry stamps) in your passports then there are several
countries that will not let you in. My personal experience on this is with
Syria (I did get in eventually; they thought my Thai stamp was Israeli) but
I am sure there are others.

I'm painfully aware of this, having needed to obtain a second passport
for this very reason.

I was intrigued by the inference that the US won't issue a second
passport if the intent is to travel both to Israel and to various other
middle eastern countries.
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old September 11th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Simon Elliott

Blatt writes
[snip]

If I've understood your reference, it seems that at one time the US
issued passports endorsed solely for travel to Israel, but in general
won't do this any more.

But if a business traveller who was a US national regularly visited
Israel and Iran (or any other pair of incompatible destinations) could
they be issued with two unrestricted US passports to facilitate this?
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old September 11th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Andrew Perrin

Simon Elliott writes:

Blatt writes
[snip]

If I've understood your reference, it seems that at one time the US
issued passports endorsed solely for travel to Israel, but in general
won't do this any more.

Interesting... when I lived in Namibia in the early '90s, I had a
separate US passport issued for travel only into/out of South Africa,
because many African states treated an SA stamp in much the same
way. It got a little embarrassing one time, though, when I pulled out
my "South Africa-clean" passport in a Zimbabwean government office
building and accidentally spilled a pocket full of Rands!

Led to an interesting souvenir too, though: a (now expired) passport
valid only for travel to South Africa, issued at the US Embassy, Windhoek.

* andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu
Old September 11th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Blatt

Simon Elliott wrote in message ...

For reasons I won't go into on a public newsgroup I was aware of the
change in policy (i.e., that based either on a statute -- which I
couldn't find this morning but which I seem to remember having read --
or an executive order or Congressional pressure), State discontinued
issuing passports valid "only for Israel". There has always been a
reluctance -- indeed a hostility -- to issue second passports to US
citizens, although it has been done when circumstances required. The
usual instances were where a passport showed a stamp of Israel or
South Africa. But both Israel and the Turkish Republic of Northern
Cyprus will stamp a separate piece of paper, so there's no excuse
really for a traveller to require a second passport. A citizen can
always apply for a replacement (or renewal) passport to get rid of an
unwanted stamp.

I used to know a diplomatic courier who had lots of diplomatic
passports; and any diplomat or quasi-diplomat will have a diplomatic
(or official/service) passport as well as a regular one (if s/he cares
to pay for the latter). A few countries (Greece, Spain?) used to
demand visas of US dip ppts but not ordinary ones.
Old September 11th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Simon Elliott

Blatt writes
The
usual instances were where a passport showed a stamp of Israel or
South Africa. But both Israel and the Turkish Republic of Northern
Cyprus will stamp a separate piece of paper, so there's no excuse
really for a traveller to require a second passport.

I didn't realise that a Northern Cyprus stamp in one's passport would
cause problems.

For Israel the separate piece of paper is at the discretion of the
immigration officer. I once got an uncooperative one who quite
deliberately lifted the piece of paper and stamped my passport.

For UK citizens, a visit to Libya requires a business visa stamped into
one's passport. One other middle eastern state I've visited (IIRC Oman)
used to jail visitors as a matter of routine if they turned up at the
airport with a Libyan visa.

A citizen can
always apply for a replacement (or renewal) passport to get rid of an
unwanted stamp.

.... although this would get a bit tedious, not to mention expensive, if
one had to travel on business every couple of months to, for example,
Libya and Oman.
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old September 11th, 2003, 03:18 PM
S Viemeister

Simon Elliott wrote:

Blatt writes
The
usual instances were where a passport showed a stamp of Israel or
South Africa. But both Israel and the Turkish Republic of Northern
Cyprus will stamp a separate piece of paper, so there's no excuse
really for a traveller to require a second passport.

I didn't realise that a Northern Cyprus stamp in one's passport would
cause problems.

I believe this is no longer true.
Old September 11th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Simon Elliott

S Viemeister writes
I didn't realise that a Northern Cyprus stamp in one's passport would
cause problems.

I believe this is no longer true.

Visitors used to have to sign a statement recognising the legitimacy of
Northern Cyprus. I can see where this would **** off the Greeks and the
"real" Cypriots.

Back to air travel for a moment: I once travelled from Sanaa to LHR on
an ancient Yemenia 727. We refuelled in Cyprus. Unless my navigation was
way off, it seemed that the airport was somewhere in Northern Cyprus.
Does this seem likely to anyone?
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old September 11th, 2003, 05:44 PM
TMOliver

Simon Elliott vented spleen or mostly mumbled...

S Viemeister writes
I didn't realise that a Northern Cyprus stamp in one's passport would
cause problems.

I believe this is no longer true.

Visitors used to have to sign a statement recognising the legitimacy of
Northern Cyprus. I can see where this would **** off the Greeks and the
"real" Cypriots.

Back to air travel for a moment: I once travelled from Sanaa to LHR on
an ancient Yemenia 727. We refuelled in Cyprus. Unless my navigation was
way off, it seemed that the airport was somewhere in Northern Cyprus.
Does this seem likely to anyone?

Back in the "Good Old Days" , the Turks did not permit Turks or foreigners
to bring Turkish Lira (other than a few) into the country, and lia in
Turkey were only legally exchanged at the government-maintained rate (9 to
the dollar, IIRC).

The cause was a tacky Greek custom, peddling Turkish lira on the street at
their "real" value, substantially more than 9 to the buck. Entering Turkey
with a Greek stamp as your last entry was a good way to get your back or
person searched. The flow of lira across the truce line in Cyprus was
amazing....(and the occasional NATO military traveler "visiting" a Turkish
base might arrange for a little 'early exchange").