Going to Wal-Mart while in Port

Old March 28th, 2005, 05:58 PM
LeeNY

Karen Segboer wrote:

I agree! 'Was just at Target on Friday with Hans. I really do like
that store. I think maybe I was putting Wal-Mart in the same

category
with Target and it's clearly not at all the same.

Not at all the same animal. WalMart sells poor quality for low prices
while Target sells good quality for low prices. Target is owned by
Federated, if I'm not mistaken. Same company that owns Marshall Fields
and I think Dayton Hudson - a very nice department store chain. You'll
find many of the same items at a Target that you'll find in Federated's
nicer stores.

Lee

Old March 28th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:16:37 -0500, E.k.R. wrote:

Ernie, next to million dollar homes are million dollar homes. But all I
have to do is to take you to Shallowford and Johnson Ferry, go one block
past toward Fulton Cty and you will see $750,000 homes who can through
baseballs and hit shopping centers. The WalMart SuperStore there is less
than 1/2 mile away, walking distance.

I pity them having a Wal-mart SuperStore so close to their $750,000 home. I
would choose to live elsewhere. In general people view a Wal-mart too close
to their home as something that will bring down property values. That is
one reason my area of Cobb fought so vigorously and succeeded to keep
Wal-mart out.

It is amazing, Ernie, but land is getting scarce.

I take no offence except when a poster is blatantly not telling the Truth
as truth is. This isn't an EOTB situation, Ernie. You bet I don't like
WalMart for other reasons but the truth is that they are well situated in
expensive areas, have million dollar households as customers and very
clean
stores, not all, but most.

I hardly consider myself a "blatant liar" but if that is how you see me,
fine. My experience with Wal-Mart and where they are located may be
different than yours, so certainly it could be an EOTB situation IMO.

I don't consider you a blatant liar but if you post a vitriolic put down of
anyone or thing, best have enough experience with the whole of your target.

travel all over the country every week, read local papers in many cities,
etc. I am out of the Atlanta area as much as I am in it. I see things
from a different perspective rather than just a local one. Different cities
react to issues in different ways. Atlanta is all about unrestricted growth
for the most part. They are making many of the same mistakes that cities
like LA made.

Sure are and with a smaller road structure.

Expanding outward instead of upward .... creating urban
sprawl and all the problems that come with it. I think Atlanta has been
more sympathetic towards retail growth like Wal-mart, and has taken longer
than other areas to realize the negative aspects. In other cities I often
read about local governments and citizens doing their best to stop Wal-marts
from coming in. Not just in the expensive areas but middle class as well.
I was very informed in my own Cobb neighborhood that kept Wal-mart out, and
there are others going through the same process now locally (one in the Town
Center area that lost, another up in Acworth). I also don't see Wal-mart's
when I drive around in million dollar neighborhoods like Beverly Hills,
Buckhead, Ansley Park, etc. They are just not there and never will be. The
suburbs are a different story.

That is as much about land prices and development costs as potential
political issues. They do not have a store inside the Perimeter (I-285
circumferential expressway for Non Atlantans)at all. It is not their market
and historically never has been. Remember, Walton started out NOT going
into the cities and when he finally did, he chose exurban, then suburban
locations. It's the WMart culture.

As much as I detest Sam Walton, he did give new life and development,
shopping, jobs and products to rural Southern America, later elsewhere,
when time were in recession and in the pits. That also is the truth albeit
I say so grudgingly.

I don't know the history of Walton but I do know I don't like many practices
of his current mega-corporation. Wal-mart might be good in some areas but
it has been damaging to many others. Whenever Wal-mart builds a
Super-Wal-mart, there is usually an old Wal-mart nearby that gets closed.
It becomes an eyesore and once again devalues the local real-estate market.
I won't even get into the employment issues as well as those of small
business owners.

Ernie

All that is true but all that could be said of many retailers, Ernie. It is
an adjustment in the way retailing works. Ultimately, it is consumers who
embrace these changes and it is chicken and egg as to who is most to blame.

Old March 28th, 2005, 06:09 PM
villa deauville

Ah yes. K-Mart. Our area had a very large, clean, loads of parking space
K-Mart.
Their employess were far and few and were not very knowlegable,
Understaffed, not helpful. It didn't last. Poof. Gone.
SUNNY

S'nd I
XXX

(* _ *)

Old March 28th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:38:53 GMT, Karen Segboer wrote:

From theHans: http://www.zug.com/pranks/walmart/index.html

LOL LOL Hilarious.

We built this WalMart in Podunk Senatobia Mississippi, one of the first
outside of Arkansas. We had finished the store and Walton, back then,
always did the final inspection. We knew it had to be hospital clean and it
was. Even the Manager pitched in to wax it out.

Next day or so, Walton shows up and we open the doors to find a layer of
fine dust on the floor. What?? He blew a fuse. We cleaned it up, brought
him back in a week, same thing.

This went on for three weeks or so and we badly needed to close the
property and shut off the interest clock. One of partners decided to find
out what was happening and lo and behold, the Manager was hauling dust into
the HVAC blowing it all over the place at night. The night before Walton
would show.

When he caught him, we called Walton who denied that it was happening. Two
and two = 4 so it was apparent Walton wanted to string out the opening for
whatever reason. That reason, later we were to find out, was nothing more
than plain meanness. It was a power game and he wanted to exert his
control.

Oh, btw, our partner did not let us know about all this until after we
closed. He became one of the "haves" and now is a full fledged zillionaire,
one of Forbes America's Most Powerful People. He ought to be. He is Fred
Smith's (FedEx), Walton, Clinton and Kemmons Wilson's (Holiday Inn) lackey.
All Arkansas Boys.

http://tinyurl.com/46qb8

The Mid South (Tenn/Ark/Miss) was a very small, small, small world of haves
and never haves back then. Hubby and I were newly married and we got
introduced into this Den Of Vipers by Webster Hubbell who was my next door
neighbor growing up.

Ah, Webby, you did us dirty, you filthy pig. You shamed all of us who knew
and loved you.

http://tinyurl.com/4xsov

Complete sellouts, moral despots.

Old March 28th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:24:45 -0500, E.k.R. wrote:

"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote in message
No one labeled you. And even if I had, so what? Why would it make any
difference in the world to you?

It shouldn't, but it does. I think it's only natural to react when someone
implies something about you that is not true. It doesn't matter if it's a
complete stranger on the internet or your best friend, it's human nature.
We have all risen to the occasion, and I've seen many examples right here on
r.t.c. from all the regular posters including you.

Ernie

Fair enough. I apologize if I implied something incorrectly.
Old March 28th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Danni

"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote in message
Look, if Danni-Stephanie Troll doesn't understand the basics of her own
disabilities, and isn't willing to stand tall on her own legal status, no
one else will. You're preaching to a stump. A retired one at that.

Still got your underwear in a bunch over that, don't you?

Considering the amount of work I did to get the law passed in the first
place, I seriously doubt I need help from either one of you in order to
defend my position.