Ground Stop if flying to Southern California

Old October 26th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Mike Cordelli

Default Ground Stop if flying to Southern California

The fires are causing the evacuation of the Air Traffic Control Center in
that area.

Hopefully anybody going or coming is already on their way, or there already.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Great link by the way if you ever fly domestic.

Old October 27th, 2003, 05:35 AM
JLP20

Were about 40 miles from the big fires, big time ash everywhere today. Kept the
house closed and sealed all day to keep the junk out of our lungs.

Just had a news flash on the tube, 850 homes burned to the ground, 13 deaths
linked to the fires. Four big fires West, East and South of Los Angeles.

I may have an interesting day to look forward to. I work in the hills above
UCLA.
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Old October 27th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Cal Ford

Could you clarify. As Los Angeles is on the Pacific then West, East, and South
pretty much surrounds the town .....

Cal Ford
Got a lot of relatives and friends in and around Los Angeles.........

In article , JLP20 says...

Old October 27th, 2003, 07:25 AM
JLP20

Default So Cal Fires Ground Stop if flying to Southern California

Could you clarify. As Los Angeles is on the Pacific then West, East, and
South
pretty much surrounds the town ....

Actually, Los Angeles City has less than 15 miles of coastline with the
Pacific. These fires are in rural areas where there are hundreds of acres of
brush between fingers of tract housing. When I say West, I mean the area near
the Los Angeles County and Ventura County border, called Chatsworth. One of the
fires is about 30 miles Northwest of downtown Los Angeles, but is still within
the city limits of Los Angeles.

A second large fire is Northeast of Los Angeles by another 30-40 miles. Earlier
this week this was two fires that joined. This fire is to blame for the ash
covering my house.

To the East, another two large fire is in San Bernardino area. This is called
the Waterman fire where 300 homes went up. Arson is suspected and two died
during this fire. The Clairmont fire, the second fire, took 50 more houses.

To the South another fire continues to burn from last week. Marines at camp
Pendelton started this fire by using live ammo during training. Another fire in
this part of the state was started by a lost hiker shooting off a flair gun,
Over 200 homes destroyed here and 9 killed.

Bur you are correct, as of this hour, Los Angeles has a ring of fires maybe 80
miles between the flames East to West and 250 miles North to South. Over
300,000 acres blackened. The Red Cross has over 5000 people in their shelters
tonight.

"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Jay

It's pretty bad, Cal. Two large fires in San Bernardino County (east of
LA) have merged into one enormous blaze & many, many people have lost
their homes. Another fire south of LA (nearer to San Diego) is
responsible for the air traffic control center being shut down. Now
there's another large fire in Simi Valley (west-north-west) of LA which
could potentially burn into the hills of Chatsworth, in the San Fernando
Valley. (About five miles north of where we are.)

The main highway and railway between LA & Las Vegas is shut down, the
airports, numerous freeways in the San Diego area are shut down, the
airports are all but shut down, and now the main rail line between LA &
Santa Barbara and one of the freeways are shut down.

At times today (and for the past couple of days, actually) there has
been so much ash falling, it looks like it's snowing.

Jay---looking out at an orange colored sky

Old October 27th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Cal Ford

Thanks for the update. Our son lives near the Santa Monica pier and we have an
Aunt in Pacific Pallisades. Looks like they should be fine. He works for the Red
Cross so I am sure he is busy right now.

Cal Ford

In article . net, Jay says...

Old October 27th, 2003, 09:10 PM
villa deauville

Spoke to BIL in San Diego and he reports the smoke can be smelled there.
He and many others are housebound, especially seniors, the very young
and those prone to breathing problems
Terrible destruction and loss of lives.
In our area there are interfaith services being held for the end of this
catastrophe

SUNNY

S'nd I