Hurricane Season 2004--please read

Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:59 PM
Greg Mossman

Default Hurricane Season 2004--please read

"Reef Fish" wrote in message
m...

BTW, he has not posted anything in any newsgroup before April 7, 2004.

Skip, you don't have to be a Sherlock Holmes to find out information
about newsgroup posters. The above was the result of just a few
minutes of search in google newsgroups about .

The problem with amateur dicks is that they spend even a few minutes getting
it wrong. A few seconds searching for "William Boyd" turns up the e-mail
address " which leads to almost a thousand hits dating back
to 2003. I could research further but I don't want to spend more than a few
seconds proving wrong that which took you a few minutes.

Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:04 PM
Greg Mossman

"Reef Fish" wrote in message
om...

http://www.dsiinsurance.com/programs.asp?subNav=oneTime

One question: how does the price of shipping insurance at all relate to the
cost of Chris's extended warranty?

Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:46 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

Hi Greg,

Just for the record, I didn't make this query. People's history on Usenet
doesn't interest me. We're drifting off topic anyway.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:37 PM
Jan

(Reef Fish) wrote in message . com...
(Jan) wrote in message om...

imo, medical problems are generally the main issue. So if I have an
accident in the Caribbean and need to go to Miami or similar, it'd be
more than a few holidays' insurance to equal the amount I'd pay for
treatment.

Good point to consider on two counts:

1. This has little or nothing to do with Trip Cancellation policies,
such as trips cancelled because of hurricanes, e.g.

yes, I'll be checking out hurricane type cancellations in a couple of
weeks. But I was saying I get insurance especially for the medical
coverage. All those I have bought do cover a variety of cancellation
reasons, but nowadays NOT all things to do with terrorism.

2. This can be just a secondary Travel insurance to cover MEDICAL
expenses outside of the USA that is not covered by your primary
medical insurance. It covers domestic travel as well.

I don't live in the US. My home coverage (paid with my taxes, I don't
have private cover) doesn't cover me for anything to do with the US or
a lot of other places. The policy you quote below is pretty awful
compared to the ones I buy in Australia, eg medical for US is
unlimited, allegedly because of the US' high bills. That trip I
mentioned before was one I had to have scuba diving & emergency
evacuation coverage, and it was hard to find. Most didn't cover
those. The one I got did cover, but I had to fight from the word go
to get them to spend money - and it was an American company.

Here's an Actual policy that may suit your needs (DISCLAIMER: I am
NOT selling this or any other insurance nor have any business
affiliation with the company, directly or indirectly!!)

Access America BASIC Annual Travel Protection

Benefits and maximum coverage amounts PER INDIVIDUAL:

Medical Expense Coverage $ 10,000
Medical Transportation $ 25,000
Travel Accident Insurance $ 25,000
Accidemt Death Insurance $100.000

Total package price: $124.
For details, call 1-866-455-6110.

For scuba divers who carry the DAN (Divers Alert Network) insurance,
for diving related accidents and medical costs throughout the world,
Access America's Emergency Evacuation costs used to be part of the
DAN insurance benefits. No longer.

-- Bob.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:57 PM
Jan

Dillon Pyron wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:13:42 -0500, William Boyd
wrote:

have you ever had to make a claim against the insurance policy?

Yes. $118 insurance on a $1600 cruise.

Yes, quite a few grand, about 3 or 4 I think it was. Plus small
medical bills, + a few months of not being able to work (income
replacement).

The main refund was my trip expenses. I went on a volunteer type
holiday and had to have coverage for scuba diving & emergency
evacuation. I didn't get as far as the first and nearly needed the
second because I was stuck on a remote island in the middle of
nowhere. The volunteer co. could have refunded my unused tour money
but chose to pocket it instead :-(

The insurance company fought constantly from the beginning about
paying anything, and their responsibility ended the second I arrived
back home, because we have tax-funded health cover here.

That compared to a couple of earlier claims for US medical bills &
lost items, which other companies (English & Austrlian) never quibbled
about. A lot of claims? Not really, 3 in over 30 years of foreign
travelling, visiting some rough places.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:45 PM
Reef Fish

"Reef Fish" wrote in message
m...

BTW, he has not posted anything in any newsgroup before April 7, 2004.

Skip, you don't have to be a Sherlock Holmes to find out information
about newsgroup posters. The above was the result of just a few
minutes of search in google newsgroups about .

The problem with amateur dicks is that they spend even a few minutes getting
it wrong.

Are you saying you are a professional dick? I thought you are only a
semi-professional shark.

A few seconds searching for "William Boyd" turns up the e-mail
address " which leads to almost a thousand hits dating
back to 2003.

" never posted anything in newsgroups. You meant
", don't you?

Greg, may I call you sloppy dick? :-)

Furthermore, the William Boyd in question is ", not
hoppy. How do you know they are the same WIlliam Boyd?

Even if they WERE the same (I was questioning cowboy BILL of
's experience about the "cruise INDUSTRY" based
on his single anecdotal account which he generalized to indict the
entire cruise INDUSTRY, and the fact that he only posted ONCE,
up to that time (May 20, 2004), through cross-posting with
rec.travel.caribbean)), you should have found that your
had also a LIFE TIME posting history of ONE day
in rec.travel.cruises, (February 5. 2004).

I could research further but I don't want to spend more than a few
seconds proving wrong that which took you a few minutes.

Greg, that only showed that I am a more careful researcher than you.
It took me only a few seconds to find your errors and omissions above.

-- Bob.
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Reef Fish

"Reef Fish" wrote in message
om...

http://www.dsiinsurance.com/programs.asp?subNav=oneTime

One question: how does the price of shipping insurance at all relate to the
cost of Chris's extended warranty?

Why don't YOU tell us, Greg?

I was commenting on Chris's willingness (and Dr. Yak's apparent
willingness) to pay $10 for the parcel SHIPPING insurance, when such
insurance could be free for an item of $100 declared value; and the
insurance cost no more than $3.60 for an item of $400 declared value.

They were taking sucker bets in SHIPPING insurance.

What's your point, Greg?

-- Bob.
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Greg Mossman

"Reef Fish" wrote in message
m...

Furthermore, the William Boyd in question is ", not
hoppy. How do you know they are the same WIlliam Boyd?

How many William Boyds do you believe post to newsgroups from cowboy.net?

Even if they WERE the same (I was questioning cowboy BILL of
's experience about the "cruise INDUSTRY" based
on his single anecdotal account which he generalized to indict the
entire cruise INDUSTRY, and the fact that he only posted ONCE,
up to that time (May 20, 2004), through cross-posting with
rec.travel.caribbean)), you should have found that your
had also a LIFE TIME posting history of ONE day
in rec.travel.cruises, (February 5. 2004).

Once is enough to prove "never" wrong.

Greg, that only showed that I am a more careful researcher than you.
It took me only a few seconds to find your errors and omissions above.

More careful? You spend longer to find the wrong answer and that makes you
more careful? I'd say it just makes you a slower and less accurate
researcher. As for errors and omissions, I believe you found one typo.
Good for you. I can find grammatical and spelling errors in just about
every post you make if you really want to play that game.

Old May 24th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Greg Mossman

"Reef Fish" wrote in message
om...

They were taking sucker bets in SHIPPING insurance.

What's your point, Greg?

Really?

This is what Chris said:

I recently purchased a $400 open box camera from Best Buy for $100 and had
the camera insured for about $10. If it breaks, they'll probably give me

brand new one (comparable or better), so it was well worth the risk (I've
actually thought about breaking it on purpose :-).

"Open box" and Best Buy (instead of bestbuy.com) imply that Chris was
shopping at the physical retail outlet, shipping not necessary. The obvious
implication is that the $10 was "insurance" in the form of an extended
warranty, the sort that Best Buy and other electronic big-box stores push on
their customers at every single purchase.

But since you're a betting man, let's bet. I'll put $100 against your $10
that my interpretation of Chris's statement is the correct one. Care to
wager?