Nationwide to charge for Euro transactions

Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andy Pandy

Default Nationwide to charge for Euro transactions

Well after (correctly) telling us for years that other banks rip us
off with foreign exchange loading fees and foreign cash withdrawal
fees, Nationwide are jumping on the bandwagon and imposing a 2%
foreign exchange loading plus a £1 cash withdrawal fee on their debit
card. A bit cheaper than most banks but not much.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/mediacen...is.asp?ID=1590

Their credit card is still fee-free in the Euro zone for purchases,
though for how long?

Seems the Halifax Clarity credit card is the best bet for foreign cash
withdrawals now.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...p-travel-money

--
Andy

Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message
Well after (correctly) telling us for years that other banks rip us off
with foreign exchange loading fees and foreign cash withdrawal fees,
Nationwide are jumping on the bandwagon and imposing a 2% foreign exchange

Hardly surprising given the number of people who have opened account just
for this purpose - *******s!

tim

Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andy Pandy

"tim...." wrote in message

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message
Well after (correctly) telling us for years that other banks rip us
off with foreign exchange loading fees and foreign cash withdrawal
fees, Nationwide are jumping on the bandwagon and imposing a 2%
foreign exchange loading plus a £1 cash withdrawal fee on their
debit card.

Hardly surprising given the number of people who have opened account
just for this purpose - *******s!

If that was really the reason they'd retain fee-free withdrawals but
just for people who use the flex account as their main account (like
with their free travel insurance offer).

--
Andy

Old August 4th, 2010, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

tim.... wrote:

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message
Well after (correctly) telling us for years that other banks rip us off
with foreign exchange loading fees and foreign cash withdrawal fees,
Nationwide are jumping on the bandwagon and imposing a 2% foreign exchange

Hardly surprising given the number of people who have opened account just
for this purpose - *******s!

The banks, yes indeed- of course they are. I wouldn't blame shrewd
consumers for taking advantage of the system, and in any case Nationwide
could clearly have retained the current system for people who _were_
using the bank for their main accounts (or otherwise putting enough
money in to them).

The main reason, I would venture, that Nationwide have decided to charge
for this now is that they reckon they can get away with it. And they're
probably right. But do go ahead and blame anyone else but the banks if
you like.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Andy Pandy wrote:

Well after (correctly) telling us for years that other banks rip us
off with foreign exchange loading fees and foreign cash withdrawal
fees, Nationwide are jumping on the bandwagon and imposing a 2%
foreign exchange loading plus a £1 cash withdrawal fee on their debit
card. A bit cheaper than most banks but not much.

I will miss the ATM card for the flex account- I used it all over the
world for cash, but never worried about it being stolen in the same way
I would any kind of debit/credit card. I actually lost it this week in
Tarragona (I don't think it was stolen- I was just a clot!)- and still
haven't reported it lost. Indeed, probably won't- I'll just transfer the
money out of the account and close it.

Old August 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

David Horne wrote on Aug 5, 2010:

Andy Pandy wrote:

Well after (correctly) telling us for years that other banks rip us
off with foreign exchange loading fees and foreign cash withdrawal
fees, Nationwide are jumping on the bandwagon and imposing a 2%
foreign exchange loading plus a £1 cash withdrawal fee on their debit
card. A bit cheaper than most banks but not much.

I will miss the ATM card for the flex account- I used it all over the
world for cash

[snip]

Same here!
What will you use instead?

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old August 5th, 2010, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andy Pandy

dia.com...

Andy Pandy wrote:

Well after (correctly) telling us for years that other banks rip
us
off with foreign exchange loading fees and foreign cash withdrawal
fees, Nationwide are jumping on the bandwagon and imposing a 2%
foreign exchange loading plus a £1 cash withdrawal fee on their
debit
card. A bit cheaper than most banks but not much.

I will miss the ATM card for the flex account- I used it all over
the
world for cash

[snip]

Same here!
What will you use instead?

I'll probably get a Halifax Clarity credit card for ATM withdrawals,
and carry on using Nationwide credit card for purchases.

If Nationwide decide to start charging on their credit card I might
get my wife a Clarity card and use one for purchases and the other for
ATMs.

--
Andy

Old August 5th, 2010, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Andy Pandy wrote:

Well after (correctly) telling us for years that other banks rip us
off with foreign exchange loading fees and foreign cash withdrawal
fees, Nationwide are jumping on the bandwagon and imposing a 2%
foreign exchange loading plus a £1 cash withdrawal fee on their debit
card. A bit cheaper than most banks but not much.

I will miss the ATM card for the flex account- I used it all over the
world for cash

[snip]

Same here!
What will you use instead?

As Andy, probably the Halifax Clarity credit card. But, when travelling
on holiday with my partner, I'll get him to withdraw money from his
Boston bank account, which only adds Visa's 1%. At least for the time
being, with current exchange rates.

Old August 5th, 2010, 11:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

Andy Pandy wrote:

Well after (correctly) telling us for years that other banks rip us
off with foreign exchange loading fees and foreign cash withdrawal
fees, Nationwide are jumping on the bandwagon and imposing a 2%
foreign exchange loading plus a £1 cash withdrawal fee on their debit
card. A bit cheaper than most banks but not much.

I will miss the ATM card for the flex account- I used it all over the
world for cash

[snip]

Same here!
What will you use instead?

As Andy, probably the Halifax Clarity credit card. But, when travelling
on holiday with my partner, I'll get him to withdraw money from his
Boston bank account, which only adds Visa's 1%. At least for the time
being, with current exchange rates.

I see, thanks. But what an absolute PITA. I find all this swapping accounts,
credit cards and all financial stuff tedious beyond belief. I'd almost rather
pay the extra 1% or whatever

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old August 6th, 2010, 09:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

Andy wrote:

[...]

If you are frequently abroad open a bank account in the EU.