French banking system - saved by incompetence

Old June 1st, 2004, 07:50 PM
Jeremy Henderson

Default French banking system - saved by incompetence

As a followup to the discussion of my impending trial and conviction on
fraud charges as a result of writing a bum cheque, I can reassure readers
that I am still at large: it turned out that the cheque I wrote which
grossly exceeded my ability to pay had not been processed yet, giving me
the opportunity to rush into my bank loaded with cash and deposit
sufficient to avoid disaster.

Of course the event was not without French-style drama. The first was, as
expected, the bank where I went to get the cash told me that they don't
have any cash due to the risk of robbery. Of course it's pleasant to meet
the cashier across an open desk - but I'd be happy to forgo the social
aspects in favour of a bank that actually has some money - I thought that
was the basic function of banks? The solution ("systeme D" deserves
one of Earl's postings!) )was that they gave me a number of cards that I
could use in the ATM to obtain money in excess of my daily limit.

Secondly, when paying the money in a large and irate queue formed when
they insisted that I fill in a form showing the exact denomination of the
bills I was depositing. To tell the truth, i quite enjoyed that - the
biter bit.

So, in conclusion, I'M FREE!!

I know that will be a relief to everybody ;-)

J;

--
Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG

Old June 1st, 2004, 10:37 PM
Donna Evleth

Dans l'article , Jeremy
Henderson a écrit :

[...]

It is to me, but then I rather expected this sort of outcome. We have a
friend who is a doctor in Philadelphia who owned a small apartment here, and
maintained a bank account here so as to pay his charges and taxes. He
forgot to feed the account properly, and ran into your sort of situation. A
similar outcome occurred for him.

Donna Evleth

Old June 1st, 2004, 11:32 PM
Alan Harrison

Delighted by the outcome, Jeremy!

English banks can be similarly incompetent. A few weeks ago, I paid in a
cheque for £70.50 at my bank, and was amazed to see a few days later that I
was remarkably prosperous. The clerk had entered £7050!

Alan Harrison

Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:28 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:50:57 +0200, Jeremy Henderson wrote:

but I'd be happy to forgo the social
aspects in favour of a bank that actually has some money - I thought that
was the basic function of banks?

nah, they are there to take your money, not give it back.
--
Tim C.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:01 AM
szozu

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:50:57 +0200, Jeremy Henderson wrote:

but I'd be happy to forgo the social
aspects in favour of a bank that actually has some money - I thought

that
was the basic function of banks?

French banks exist to charge you for every single thing imaginable, actually
giving you money--even your own--goes against the grain!

Lana

Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM
Peter File

but I'd be happy to forgo the social
aspects in favour of a bank that actually has some money - I thought

that
was the basic function of banks?

French banks exist to charge you for every single thing imaginable,

actually
giving you money--even your own--goes against the grain!

You could say the same about the British Banking System.
I recently wrote a check to my carpenter, planning for it to hit my account
on the same day my Salary is paid in.
Now in the 3 nanoseconds between the check being presented and my salary
being paid in, my bank thought it reasonable to bounce the check. Although
who can blame them, I have only had my salary paid in on the 28th of each
month for 6 years. And I also have a large amount of cash in a savings
account with them.
Result, 30 pound fine, a ****ed off carpenter, and a lot of apologies.
I'm tempted to go back to a biscuit tin under the bed.