Airline Packing rules

Old November 27th, 2003, 06:09 PM
karl

Default Airline Packing rules

Hi friends,
I have a few things which are easier packed in cartons than in
suitcases owing to their awkward size, is there any restriction on
carrying one's stuff in cartons, strong packing and all. Also any
advice/tips on suitcases or packing.
Karl
Old November 27th, 2003, 10:14 PM
4000 psi

make sure that the boxes are not sealed permanently and can be opened and
re-sealed easily as all luggage is subject to open-and-inspect if something
questionable shows up on the X-ray machine ...

om...

Old November 27th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Keith Willshaw

"karl" wrote in message
om...
Hi friends,
I have a few things which are easier packed in cartons than in
suitcases owing to their awkward size, is there any restriction on
carrying one's stuff in cartons, strong packing and all. Also any
advice/tips on suitcases or packing.
Karl

I've seen plenty of crates and cardboard boxes on luggage carousels
but be aware of the airline limits on number of pieces of baggage and
weight. Excess baggage is a LOT more expensive than air freight.

Personally I have had too may cases ripped up by baggage handlers
and so either use a soft holdall when all I need is a change of clothes
or hard shelled samsonite case if anything even remotely fragile is
packed away. One case turned up at JFK with tyre tracks across it
so go figure.

Keith

Old November 28th, 2003, 08:38 AM
karl

Thanks guys,
I guess cartons are OK as long as well packed and opened/closed easily.
karl
Old November 28th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Paul O

Dear Friend,
If you're for real - which I sincerely doubt - you'd understand that
airlines allow a very limited weight free - anything over the allowed limit
is charged at a rate that makes a scrub bull in rut look wimpish!! By all
means pack your cartons - but be prepared to pay serious money to have them
go anywhere!!!!

******!!!!

Old November 29th, 2003, 03:36 AM

On 27 Nov 2003 10:09:56 -0800, (karl) wrote:

Hi friends,
I have a few things which are easier packed in cartons than in
suitcases owing to their awkward size, is there any restriction on
carrying one's stuff in cartons, strong packing and all. Also any
advice/tips on suitcases or packing.
Karl

Check with the airline you are flying with as in most cases, cartons
and contents are *not* covered for damage and/or loss.
Believe me, cartons do tend to crush badly in transit due to the
forces during takeoff, turbulence and landing; and having weighty bags
on top and beside them. No matter how strong the box and packing
may be, there is every chance it will get damaged!

Many have a link to baggage policies on their websites - please check
these out so you are fully conversant with the airline/s policy/ies
before you use a carton or two. If there is no mention of cartons, do
call the airline and talk to them.

Some airlines are more specific than others when it comes to baggage
policies online i.e.: Continental states:
Fragile Items
Continental shall not be liable for loss, damage or delay in delivery
of fragile items included in customer's baggage with or without the
knowledge of Continental Airlines.
Examples of Fragile and Perishable Items include, but are not limited
to:
[included in the list}
checked in corrugated/cardboard boxes, including cardboard boxes
provided by CO, except for items that otherwise would be suitable for
transportation without the cardboard box (e.g., bicycle, garment bag)

Baggage Liability
In the course of normal handling, your baggage may show evidence of
use. Continental is not liable for minor cuts, scratches, scuffs,
dents and soil. Continental is not responsible for conditions that
result from normal wear and tear or the following:

Damage to wheels, feet, extending handles, over-packed bag and items
of fragile or perishable nature
Loss of external locks, pull straps or security straps
Manufacturer's defects
...........end

Advice on packing:
Include on the bottom of your suitcase [and preferably on the top as
well], a list containing your name, your phone number, a list of your
airline flights/dates and if you like, the name and phone number of
your hotel or where you are staying.

Some airlines still give out little sticky labels that you can stick
to the bottom as well [but you need to get this in advance].

After you have finished packing your bags, take a piece of paper and
draw the shape of your bag on it, noting where the handle/s are, if it
has a pop up handle, any outside pockets, wheels etc, and the brand
name and most importantly the colour! Before you shut said bag,
note what is packed on the top ie: red sweater, black & white cap etc.

Keep this piece of paper [or more if you need], with your tickets so
in the event of a bag not arriving on the same flight, you have the
details to give to a baggage services agent - you have no idea how
many people do not know the shape or colour of their bag/s nor what is
on the top!

I plait several lengths of the same coloured ribbon and then tie to
the handle - this way it's easier for me to id my bags when they come
down plus we used to id many a bag when the passenger had stated it
had for example red and purple ribbons tied to the handle.

If your travelling within the US, do not lock your bags due to the
possible need to be searched by the TSA. Check the regulations
wherever you are departing from!

I used to also use wide stretchy 'bands' around my bags however since
the new regulations came into effect, I can no longer use these.
I have seen people with their names stencilled directly onto the bag -
probably a regular craft paint would do this!

Handles do get ripped off and with that, often the only piece of id -
sometimes we were lucky enough to be able to match bags through sheer
luck such as a report stating cans of x brand baby food; a letter
addressed to someone. In other cases, we would empty the whole
bag and find nothing that matched a report.

Liquids. If you are carrying anything fluid or tubes of cream, it
pays to double ziplock bag it as even things such as shampoo may
leak.

Most of all, be aware of what you can and cannot pack.
Not knowing where you are or where you are going, be aware that all
bags in the US are subject to search - do not lock your bags as they
will be opened. The TSA accepts no responsiblity for damages to
your bag/s if they have to cut a lock however in the many times I have
had to cut a lock, there is no reason why the TSA cannot do it without
damaging a bag!

If the TSA has searched your bag, they will put a plastic seal on it
and you should find a note inside stating that they have searched your
bag. I saw mine being done earlier this year and felt totally
violated at the way it was done [complaints don't get you anywhere
with the TSA]. As soon as I got home, I opened it and took
everything washable out and threw it in the washing machine!

And I think it goes without saying, do not pack sharp items such as
nail clippers, nail files, pocket knives, knitting needles etc in
your carryon luggage. Again, check the airline/s websites as most
do carry a notice regarding prohibited items.

Please do not pack hazardous goods which should be declared.
You have no idea of how many people violate this law and in doing so,
place the aircraft and everyone on board' s lives at risk.

Cath

Old November 29th, 2003, 03:47 AM

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:33:08 -0000, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"karl" wrote in message
. com...
Hi friends,
I have a few things which are easier packed in cartons than in
suitcases owing to their awkward size, is there any restriction on
carrying one's stuff in cartons, strong packing and all. Also any
advice/tips on suitcases or packing.
Karl

I've seen plenty of crates and cardboard boxes on luggage carousels
but be aware of the airline limits on number of pieces of baggage and
weight. Excess baggage is a LOT more expensive than air freight.

Personally I have had too may cases ripped up by baggage handlers
and so either use a soft holdall when all I need is a change of clothes
or hard shelled samsonite case if anything even remotely fragile is
packed away. One case turned up at JFK with tyre tracks across it
so go figure.

Keith

Does anyone ever stop to think that baggage handlers may *not* be
responsible for damage to bags?

In the case of the above tire tracks over a bag - I only hope you took
the time to contact the baggage services office immediately you
claimed your bag and noticed it.

Most of the time, passengers have absolutely no idea of what people
use as bags. For instance cardboard boxes; plastic boxes;
footlockers and other wooden boxes with metal corners which are more
often than not, very caple of catching a fabric bag/ripping it.
You may also have a hardside gun case tucked in there.
The list goes on and on!

Hardsides such as Samsonite generally stand up well however they can
still crack given the wrong situation in an aircraft belly.

Handles and wheels break off more than many realise which are often
the cause of other bags being ripped. Push down handles get bent
and sometime broken [which puncture through to other bags] because of
other bags being placed on top of them but do passengers realise for
one minute how wheeled bags came about? Probably not. They were
used by cabin crews who have stowage on board. The general public
saw them and wanted and of course, the manufacturers were very eager
to satisfy the demand.

Most airlines will *not* cover wheels or pull up handles or even
damage to outside pockets. Ditto for zip pulls, pull straps, name
brand badges.

People pack sharp items that poke through a carton or bag and
puncture/rip another bag; people pack liquids such as booze and
non-disclosed hazardous goods such as brass cleaner [which leaks
through other passengers' bags].

I even had a lady laugh about how her bottles of bbq sauce got broken
whilst there were IIRC, some 4 other passengers filing damages claims
ie: drycleaning of garments possible replacement of some because of
staining, cleaning of the bag etc [these incidents cost the airlines
big $$] - the lady whose bottles broke then got nasty because we
refused all claims - ditto to the guy who put two bottles of booze in
the outer pockets of a checked backpack which again, went through many
other bags/many claims.

How do people think bags travel? All cushioned in the hold - *not*!
People forget:
when you are thrust forward in your seat at takeoff, ALL items in the
hold are thrust forward in the same way = movement and then settling
down/bags will have moved;
when your bumped around as in turbulence, ALL items in the hold are
also bumped around = movement then settling down/bags will have moved;
when your landing and your pushed back into your seat; ALL items in
the hold are also pushed backward = movement once again, more settling
down and more moving.

Depending on the aircraft, some permit luggage to be put in containers
however many aircraft still require manual loading - and bellies
believe me, are not 'square'

Is *every* bag loaded in the hold the same size, shape and weight -
like heck they are!

I am not defending all baggage handlers et al but many a time, without
thinking, people were all to quick to blame baggage handlers for
damage/s without thinking of other possible causes.

And don't forget, many airlines rent space from the airport in which
case, baggage service offices are 'private property'. Agents have
the right to call airport police/security and have an individual
removed or if the case warrants it, arrested.

Every agent or his/her supervisor has the right to enter into a
passengers record, comments regarding the passenger's behaviour
[physical and/or verbal] - this record is a legal document and can be
used in a court of law. When a complaint is made to the airline, this
is the first thing they pull.

Cath
Old November 29th, 2003, 03:51 AM

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:06:30 +1000, "Paul O"
wrote:
[msge snipped]

Dear Friend,
If you're for real - which I sincerely doubt - you'd understand that
airlines allow a very limited weight free - anything over the allowed limit
is charged at a rate that makes a scrub bull in rut look wimpish!! By all
means pack your cartons - but be prepared to pay serious money to have them
go anywhere!!!!

W*****!!!!

Paul,
This poster did not deserve being called such.
If you had bothered to check his posting history, you would have noted
he has in the past posted queries in another newsgroup regarding using
cardboard boxes for his upcoming move to Australia.

Cath

Old November 29th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Keith Willshaw

wrote:

Does anyone ever stop to think that baggage handlers may *not* be
responsible for damage to bags?

I dont think the tooth fairy did it

In the case of the above tire tracks over a bag - I only hope you took
the time to contact the baggage services office immediately you
claimed your bag and noticed it.

Yes and got a replacement as it was split

Keith

Old November 29th, 2003, 07:10 PM
karl

Thanks Cath,
For helping me out there.
Paul, I don't know what I asked wrong. Anyways I guess cartons are out then.

Thanks again,
Karl