US airports: 'menacing, cramped and devoid of humanity'

Old June 6th, 2014, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default US airports: 'menacing, cramped and devoid of humanity'

Surreyman wrote:
On Friday, June 6, 2014 8:45:21 AM UTC+1, Tim C. wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 11:34:26 +0200, Martin wrote in post :

:

The queues aren't unique to the

USA. We took a charter flight from Schiphol where queues extended outside the

airport building, in this case there were not enough check in staff.

Trying to get through Passport control at Stansted is a pain.

--

Tim C. Linz, Austria.

We use smaller provincial airports wherever possible these days, such as
Southampton - they often have extensive itineraries and queues are virtually non-existent!

If I ever visit the UK again, I'll use anything but LHR! I hear Manchester
is civilized.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 6th, 2014, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

"JohnT" wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 20:48:57 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

Dan Leifker wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-humanity.html

Depends on the airport, but in general I agree with this article.

Not all U.S. airports are wastelands. Portland (Oregon) has one of the
nicest airports I've ever visited, and San Francisco's airport is going
through a very slow remodeling that may be a sign of things to come in
21st-century U.S. airports. The new Terminal 2 at San Francisco
(domestic travel only, sadly) is spectacular, with lots of restaurants,
work desks, shops, and seating galore.

But the article is spot on with respect to passport control at U.S.
airports, which approaches something from Dante's Inferno. When I fly
into Frankfurt or Munich, I spend maybe 5 minutes in the Passkontrolle
line. When I return to the U.S., I deplane and literally run as fast as
I can to get to U.S. passport control before the lines start to mass.

Thanks for link to article.

I find it harder by far to get back into the US at O'Hare than into any
other country

Even France?

I think that you and I have convinced her of the error of her ways and
she is now a Francophile.

I no longer have a problem with French airports, as I don't have any
interest in visiting France again.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 6th, 2014, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:

.

I find it harder by far to get back into the US at O'Hare than into any
other country

Even France?

I think that you and I have convinced her of the error of her ways and she
is now a Francophile.

I convinced myself that she was deported via CdeG and declared persona non
grata.

No, I declared France something similar.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 6th, 2014, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 6/6/2014 11:10 AM, Erilar wrote:

If I ever visit the UK again, I'll use anything but LHR! I hear Manchester
is civilized.

I find Edinburgh and Glasgow _much_ less unpleasant than Heathrow.
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Fri, 6 Jun 2014 15:10:27 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

Surreyman wrote:
On Friday, June 6, 2014 8:45:21 AM UTC+1, Tim C. wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 11:34:26 +0200, Martin wrote in post :

:

The queues aren't unique to the

USA. We took a charter flight from Schiphol where queues extended outside the

airport building, in this case there were not enough check in staff.

Trying to get through Passport control at Stansted is a pain.

--

Tim C. Linz, Austria.

We use smaller provincial airports wherever possible these days, such as
Southampton - they often have extensive itineraries and queues are virtually non-existent!

If I ever visit the UK again, I'll use anything but LHR! I hear Manchester
is civilized.

Heathrow is a lot better these days, especially if you fly with BA
and use terminal 5...

Manchester is nice, clean but busy with holiday charters. So it gets
noisy and full of people.

The best provincial airport we've flown from is Leeds/Bradford.

BA have a Heathrow shuttle flying into there several times a day.
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike O'Sullivan[_2_]

On 06/06/2014 09:56, Martin wrote:

It varies at both ends from trip to trip. In UK they are looking for and
catching illegal immigrants with forged/stolen passports; and for drugs. The
Dutch don't have a problem because their land borders are open to everybody, and
are exporters of drugs. We've never had a problem or delays entering via
Newcastle.

Flying back from Amsterdam Schipol to Gatwick I remember they used a
friendly sniffer dog. he just made a walk past of the line of entering
passengers. Didn't cause a delay.

Old June 7th, 2014, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

wrote:

Surreyman wrote:
[...]

But I doubt you find many opportunities to use it as an entry point for
transatlantic travel

tim

Old June 7th, 2014, 11:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_10_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Jun 2014 15:10:28 +0000 (UTC), Erilar

wrote:

wrote:

Dan Leifker wrote:
[...]

Your loss.

We failed, John.

She obviously doesn't have our level of sophistication! She wasn't even
convinced by my revelation a few months back that there is a McDonalds at
CDG. And it has free wifi for her Mediaeval iPad. I think that really she
should be categorised in the same way as Cathy and Bill.

As you say, we failed.

--
JohnT

Old June 7th, 2014, 11:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_10_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 06:25:42 +0100, Mike O'Sullivan
wrote:

On 06/06/2014 09:56, Martin wrote:

It varies at both ends from trip to trip. In UK they are looking for and
catching illegal immigrants with forged/stolen passports; and for
drugs. The
Dutch don't have a problem because their land borders are open to
everybody, and
are exporters of drugs. We've never had a problem or delays entering
via
Newcastle.

Flying back from Amsterdam Schipol to Gatwick I remember they used a
friendly sniffer dog. he just made a walk past of the line of entering
passengers. Didn't cause a delay.

Far too friendly, how did it check that passports weren't forged? :-)

I have travelled into Newcastle airport many times, connecting at Schiphol,
and I know that the security at the arrival airport isn't all visible. All
luggage is scanned before being placed on the delivery carousel and passport
examination nowadays is quite rigorous. Passengers originating in Amsterdam
tend to get more attention from the UK Border Agency than do transfer
passengers.
--
JohnT

Old June 7th, 2014, 11:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 09:09:23 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .

The best provincial airport we've flown from is Leeds/Bradford.

BA have a Heathrow shuttle flying into there several times a day.

But I doubt you find many opportunities to use it as an entry point for
transatlantic travel

We come in via Heathrow.

PoE into the UK is Heathrow, customs check at LBA.

No problems so far.