MOAGC CELEBRITY INFINITY REVIEW 2/5/2006 - 2/12/2006

Old February 18th, 2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default MOAGC CELEBRITY INFINITY REVIEW 2/5/2006 - 2/12/2006

"Richard Whitlock" wrote in message
Hi:

We sure didn't give him an "excellent" rating and did mention in the
comment section the times he came to the table we felt his motives were
trolling for tips rather than offering any service.
Tucker in Texas

Good for you, Tucker! I hope that you were not the only one.

--Jean

Old February 21st, 2006, 02:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Tom K" wrote in message
Nice review Jean,

Thanks, Tom.

So I take it you liked Infinity better than Zenith? Ben may be
disappointed
to hear that... since he doesn't care for the Millie class ships. VBG

Much better...but I like the size of the Zenith better.

Did you see the 2 statues of the kid, lying in bed, eating a chocolate
bar,
up in the buffet dining room?

No, I must have missed that one..but I did see the house made of chocolate
in a glass case there.

--Jean

--Tom

Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

On the vanity, was a tubular vase of pink alstroemeria..the vase was made up
of about eight tubular sections that you could shape into a semi-circle,
zig-zag or just a straight line...lovely touch. .

I loved the fresh flowers, but didn't know what they were called. Here
is a picture of them, the ones in my cabin, not in Jeans(grin).
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...14545039ZxjGyS

The bathroom was enormous---about 7x 8 ft. with a shower 3' x 5' that had a
hand held shower head, two wire shelves and a vinyl covered seat that you
could fold down if you wished...typical of a handicapped bathroom I
guess..The only downfall was that the lip around the shower stall was very
low...water sloshed out whenever we took showers while ship was moving...the
drain was in the wrong corner...back against the wall instead of the front
where all the water ran..Some water escaped even when the ship was not
moving!

The other reason you had a problem with the water escaping, was that
being a handicapped shower it didn't have the large lip that our
shower had. That is one downside of having a handicapped cabin if you
don't need it.

Concierge Class passengers had lovely large peach towels and bath mats (2)
alternating with mint green ones every few days..The washcloths were rolled
and placed in an X position on the sink..reminding you that you were on
Celebrity!

These were the best towels we had on any cruise so far.

I must say that the food was quite good..almost as good as on our last
Conquest cruise! Seriously, we had no complaints in this area..Even found
the chocolate croissants that Tom is always talking about! The coffee on
this ship was very much to my liking.

I agree with you about the food being "almost" as good as on the
Conquest, but not quite there. All of the beef was very good, but some
of it could of been a little more tender.

Room service was very good..prompt and the menu choices were far more
extensive than on the Opera. What I especially liked was that they phoned
just before delivery to tell you it was on the way...Had scrambled eggs with
fresh asparagus tips one morning... We enjoyed eating out on that huge
balcony..We had a large, round, white metal table, two small round metal
tables, 2 navy padded chaise lounges and two navy padded chairs..

Those scrambled eggs with asparagus were very, very good. We loved
having breakfast on our aft balcony and being in CC like you were, we
had a wonderful breakfast menu to choose from. The only problem with
our breakfasts was that the food wasn't always hot.

...Some one
mentioned that the ship was due to go into dry-dock next month...maybe that
is why I did not see any painting or maintenance, even while we were in
port.

Yes, the Infinity is going into dry dock mid march.

The begging for *Excellent* on the comment cards..This was from the
assistant maitre d's on down.. The waiter told us that the cruise line did
not accept anything less than excellent as suitable and it determined their
chances to continue employment and promotional opportunities.. This was very
uncomfortable for me to witness...Not only did the CD give his usual spiel
as to how hard they worked to get that *excellent* but to have that appeal
made to you by the waiters and crew that seated you in the dining room at
lunch and dinner time was a bit much.

Funny, but Kevin and I commented to each other that our wait-staff and
Assistant Maitre'd did NOT do the normal begging. My guess is that
you were in a different part of the dining room and had a different
staff. The CD I never pay any attention to, so I can't say if he
begged or not.

The Thalassotherapy Pool:
What a wonderful pool! It was all adult and soooo peaceful..How I wish the
cough that I had at the time, had not prevented me from going into it...The
whirlpools were wild with water tumbling vigorously ...Some nooks in the
pool itself had whirlpool jets..Everyone seemed to be having a ball when we
were there...I know George, Sue, Kevin, Becca sure enjoyed frolicking in it
while we watched. ;-(

I also wish you could of joined us in the T-pool. I loved the it, but
didn't care for those metal tubes that you were supposed to lay on. I
did enjoy being in the water, it reminded me of the time we spent in
the ocean in Montego Bay. Just floating in the water and talking. My
only problem with the whirlpools is that they were not hot enough, but
this seems to be a common problem on ships these days.

Jean, thanks again for a very good review!

sue
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Tom K wrote:

Did you at least go to the High Tea there for Captain's Club members?

The problem with this is that it was sometime in the afternoon and
required you to be dressed up. As I recall they wanted the guys in a
jacket. As much as it would of been nice to go to, the timing/dress
code was the pits.

sue
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I loved having the stairs into the T-pool and wish all pools were
built that way.

sue

Don & Lynn wrote:

We did the Southern Caribbean about 3 years ago on the Infinity and really
enjoyed that swimming pool. We are about to take our 29th cruise(Island
Princess to Hawaii) One of the great mysteries of life to me is: Since
cruise ships are full of old folks, why is it that all but the newest ships
have pools with difficult ladders? The Infinity has steps that go past the
shower and into the pool. The way it should be.
Smooth Sailing
Don

"Tom K" wrote in message

Nice review Jean,

So I take it you liked Infinity better than Zenith? Ben may be
disappointed
to hear that... since he doesn't care for the Millie class ships. VBG

Printing your boarding passes at home has made the embarkation process go
MUCH smoother. We were on Mariner OTS in about 3 minute from being
dropped
off by bus last December.

I loved those lounge chairs in the AquaSpa too... especially on the sea
days
when we were sailing up to Quebec and back to NYC. The background music
is
kind or relaxing too... lots of Enya, and stuff like that. And the light
fare breakfasts and lunches there seem to be better quality - since they
are
trying for healthier. I remember a fig dessert, and a fruit gnache that
were wonderful. They have the chilled soups there all afternoon too (I
think Monday is strawberry soup day).

Too bad you didn't get to try the goat cheese soufflé at SS United States.
Did you at least go to the High Tea there for Captain's Club members?

As to the carpeting, I think they probably will replace carpeting with the
same pattern. The Infinity has a "United States" theme (with even the
fancy
dining room called SS United States)... so you see lots of stars and
stripes, with a predominant red, white and blue palette. Connie, on the
other hand, has more purples and golds in her carpeting... more of a
"congressional" type feel, at least to me.

As to the begging for excellent marks... it's not something I've seen that
often on Celebrity, but I'm not sure what the solution is. When you have
cruise line punishing people if they get as many as 1 mark below
excellent... and that can occur by one person not seeing much difference
between very good and excellent on a piece of paper... you easily end up
with people trying to avoid getting punished, by begging for excellent
scores. The golf pro on Zenith was telling us that they even do that to
him... and often it's from someone who never even went on a golf excursion
who marks a box on the form with something other than excellent. Then
they
bang him for it. I find it even more disturbing when lines like Royal
Caribbean hold their waiters responsible for the food. They buy cheap
ingredients, serve lousy food, and then punish waiters (taking away their
days-off) when food scores don't come up as excellent. To me, that's
REALLY
not fair.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Richard Whitlock wrote:
Hi:

Hopefully I will start working on my review soon. I had other pressing
matters to attend to when I got back.

I agree with you, Jean, about the Assistant Maitre 'd. I believe
Richard's description was "swarmy." We were tempted not to give him the
envelope at all (we also did automatic tipping). Figured he would still
get his tip anyway so we did.

I wish you guys had our assistant maitre'd, she was very quiet but did
her job. A real sweetheart!!

sue
Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote

Did you at least go to the High Tea there for Captain's Club members?

The problem with this is that it was sometime in the afternoon and
required you to be dressed up. As I recall they wanted the guys in a
jacket. As much as it would of been nice to go to, the timing/dress code
was the pits.

Yep... I passed that one up for the same reason.

One thing I forgot about the cruise was the number of "invitations" I kept
getting. "Past Passenger This" and "CC That" and "Officers Mid-day
Reception" and "Back stage tour for selected Mahaffadons" and "Italian
Cooking Demonstration by Chef Habbibe Mahout". Then there were the Faux
Invitations to Wine Auctions (????), Art Auctions, Cigar Auctions, pre
Auction Champagne Receptions.... They sure wasted a lot of paper on me
because I didn't go to any of these.

Oh wait... I did go to the CruiseCritic party which got interrupted by the
discovery of the foundering yacht. Come to think of it... that was a pretty
cool party too.

I found one invitation 2 days after the event was held. vbg

--
George Leppla http://www.countryside-travel.com

Cruise Specials BLOG http://www.countryside-travel.com/3834677_6105.htm
May 20, 2006, Caribbean Princess - http://cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 29, 2006 - SLEAZY 4! http://cruisemaster.com/sleazy4.htm

Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

George Leppla wrote:

One thing I forgot about the cruise was the number of "invitations" I kept
getting. "Past Passenger This" and "CC That" and "Officers Mid-day
Reception" and "Back stage tour for selected Mahaffadons" and "Italian
Cooking Demonstration by Chef Habbibe Mahout".

Oh wait... I did go to the CruiseCritic party which got interrupted by the
discovery of the foundering yacht. Come to think of it... that was a pretty
cool party too.

There were so many invitations to different parties, Kevin and I
decided we were only going to do MOAGC2 parties and ignore all the
rest. After awhile when we were on our way back to our cabin, I would
dread finding another invitation to something.lol Maybe those
gatherings would of been of more interest to us, if we had been
cruising alone. We skipped the CruiseCritic party because I wanted to
get to the hot tubs.LOL

sue