MEXICAN RIVIERA ON RCCL: Still looking for feedback...

Old May 14th, 2004, 11:15 AM
TauSphinx5

Default MEXICAN RIVIERA ON RCCL: Still looking for feedback...

(I posted this before, but I didn't receive any responses. If you have sailed
the Legend (RCCL) or done the Mexican Riviera itinerary, your feedback would be
appreciated...)

Has anybody done the Mexican Riviera on the Legend of the Seas out of San
Diego? I will be surprising my wife with this in August.

Together, we have only cruised Carnival in the Caribbean. I have had
experience on NCL, Princess, and a couple of other lines that may have been
bought up by now. I did do the Mexican Riviera about 15 years ago on a
10-night itinerary, but I can't remember the name of the line...

Anyway, any feedback on the Legend of the Seas, the Mexican Riviera, or this
specific itinerary, would be appreciated. Also, feel free to suggest
"must-do's" for the ports that will be visited (Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San
Lucas, and Mazatlan).

Thanks.

Old May 14th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Cruising Chrissy

Old May 14th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Neil Gillis

"TauSphinx5" wrote in message
[...]

Here is a link to my review of our trip through the Panama Canal on the
"Legend" this past March. This might help a little.

http://www.seacruisereviews.com/bycr...?cruiseid=1102

Neil

Old May 14th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Peri

TauSphinx5 wrote:
(I posted this before, but I didn't receive any responses. If you have sailed
the Legend (RCCL) or done the Mexican Riviera itinerary, your feedback would be
appreciated...)

Tau, I haven't done this ship before, and my last full Mexican Riviera cruise
was over 20 years ago, but I can tell you that my husband and I booked the
Legend/Mexican Riviera for 8/29/04 on our last Celebrity cruise this past April.

I'm confident, having sailed Royal Caribbean several times over the last few
years, that the ship will be more than fine, and I know the ports will be
enjoyable.

For finding out about the ship, and some beautiful photos, look at
http://psp.club.tip.nl/ (click on one of the photos to enter, and then on the
Legend link).

For what to do, check out www.cruiseconcierge.com or
http://seacruisereviews.com/portsofcall.asp.

You and your wife will have a wonderful time, I'm sure!

~ Peri

Old May 14th, 2004, 05:14 PM
leek

We did this in July 2 years ago on Grandeur. It was cool and foggy on
the 2 days into and out of San Diego, and hot as hell on the days at the
ports. Be warned!
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:14 PM
yoyo

Default MEXICAN RIVIERA ON RCCL: vision

just got back from vision of the seas, rccl Mexican Riviera....

I could do a blow by blow review for you...

embarkation.. darn near perfect.. right on..
dis embarkation ok but customs was slow (not RCCL's fault) took close to 2
hrs to get through customs.. (American passport line goes MUCH faster than
non passport or passport from other countries.. line) fight between to
cruisers broke out in line.. something you don't want to here when you walk
up to get clearance to enter a country is people yelling security.... behind
you... oh well no biggy I didn't have any flights to catch in a hurry so it
was fine.. but ship dock's @ 8:00am but don't plan on being in an airport
before 12:00 especially LAX..

stateroom - inside functional, smallish but no problems.. cheap price
(620.00 all in) .. can't complain at all (good value)

Good mix of clients.. 40% white hairs, 30% Dinks (double incomes no
kids..party people) 30% middle class(me after a die job..) & families
ideal really as long as all get along well.. so if you want to party
there's somebody to party with if you want to lay by a pool area with no
kids..you could... NCL was a little more conservative and older crowd...

ship 8.5/10 yes it's time for some carpet changes but so what ....it's
still beautiful and the solarium is worth any petty annoyances alone... (
glassed in pool area.. no kids allowed... Mexican inspired roman bath
atmosphere... very relaxing no screaming kids no burnt drunk lobster boys by
the pool...) Shows where very good to excellent.. with Dan Dan the Party
Man (cruise Director and Bingo Boy assistant cruise director getting you
involved in more things that turn out fun than you expected... Don't miss
the Vision Quest game, and battle of the sexes.. as well as others...)

Service 8/10 very good no problems, as good as other cruises.. you have to
be truly exceptional to get the 9 out of me...

cabo - tender- worth the trip to see lands end water cooler (to cold for
snorkelers..) than other Mexican ports.. as usual beach hassled by sellers
(every Mexican port) no biggy...

Mazatlan ..dock .. warmer waters trip up into the sierra madres to copala &
concordia worth while to see something slightly more authentic... 7 hrs...

Puerto Vallarta .. dock .. took dolphin excursion morning (VG), beach
afternoon... as usual beach hassled by sellers (every Mexican port)
then a booze cruise called rhythms of the night all you can drink from
5:00 ... you get to a secluded beach for candle lit dinner more
drinking..children of the corn folk show... boat ride ,, more drinking...
back to rccl boat now for some this was not such a good idea as this boat
bounces around in the choppy waters pretty good.. but was very good food
not elegant but very good.. and the folk show was better than I expected...

Food - main dinning room -- Well here I have to be slightly negative, it
was good but hit or miss.. They seem to murder steaks of any kind (I am a
chef with 27years exp.) but other things were quite good, better on desserts
than mains... soups good, presentation poor no garnish drips on edges
etc..compared to other cruises... I teach that first you taste with yours
eyes....
lobster tails were small, but you could order as many as you like.. (younger
more tender anyway..)

The Windjammer Cafe
- Not open as early as needed, not very much difference, between days, good
omletes, closed in mid afternoon.. not a problem for me but some where
annoyed .. didn't do room service but it was reported slow.. this is normal
and to be expected on a cruise ship.. so get over it.. staff was friendly
but not effusive. in general 2 midnight buffets,, some expected more.. 1
bbq , 1 Elegant grand buffet.. VG but I don't need the calories just the
pictures...

If you have time and like Latin Food with a twist, try Alegria Cocina Latina
on Pine in Long beach excellent www.alegriacocinalatina.com

I have some pics of ship email me of which you would like to see ship /
ports/ shows / party animals / or regular animals/ or dolphins