Problems with credit card payment for low-costs?

Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Problems with credit card payment for low-costs?

I've just had the following problem with buying a ticket with a
European low-cost carrier, Vueling:

The system refused several times to accept my two US-issued credit
cards, a MasterCard and Visa. Both are perfectly valid, and I use them
every day here in Europe (Spain in this case). My choice was either to
give up, or submit a Visa debit card. The latter was accepted without
a problem, and the money withdrawn from my account promptly.

Nowhere could I find any caveat about cards with a non-European
mailing address, yet I suspect a company policy behind it. They offer
a choice of either a credit card (for an extra fee of Euro 6.50, that
is, about US $ 10.00), or a debit, but will accept only debit. Is this
a known phenomenon?

On the way back, I am flying with Ryan Air. Their system refused the
Master Card, but accepted the Visa credit card (for an extra fee,
too).

jrk
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message

wrote:

[...]

If I had to guess, probably an address verification system that is
unable to cope with the address format of your card.

This happens constantly to myself, a Canadian who frequents the US.
Recharging a T-Mobile prepaid account is a 45 minute process to phone
and get the correct person to auth it, including a call to my credit
card company.

*shrugs*
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:42 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

It is possible that it was the card authorisation system rejecting the card,
not the airline. Remember that authorisation has to make its' way through
a number of other systems before it gets to your issuer. Depending on
circumstances it can be as simple as a time out that causes a "rejection".

Old March 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Mar 4, 10:42*am, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

It is possible that it was the card authorisation system rejecting the card,
not the airline. * Remember that authorisation has to make its' way through
a number of other systems before it gets to your issuer. * Depending on
circumstances it can be as simple as a time out that causes a "rejection".- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to all who answered this thread. You're probably right: either
an address check (which you don't go through when e.g. using the card
in a restaurant), or a simple timeout (in which case, however, this
should happen also in a restaurant or a similar place, but has not.)
In any case, this makes non-European issued cards almost worthless
when buying tickets on-line in Europe. Did't have such a problem in
Asia.

jrk