Gatwick Express cancelled to ease commuter strain.

Old September 10th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Carl Bowman

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"DB." wrote in message
From "The Times" today:

Gatwick, Britain's second-largest airport, will lose its dedicated fast
trains under plans designed to ease overcrowding on commuter services.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...255259,00.html

Great plan! not!

Is it really true that Gatwick Expresses are only a fifth full at peak
hours? Don't know if anyone from Stop Railways Altogether has ever travelled
on a London-bound Gatwick Express in the morning peak (or any train, ever,
come to think of it) but the last time I did, it was wedged.

Old September 10th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Kim Dyer

Is it really true that Gatwick Expresses are only a fifth full at peak
hours?

I don't know what they're talking about. I admit it's been about a year since
I've been on it, but it was packed then.
-- Kimbis

Old September 10th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Hatunen

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:43:10 +0100, "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

"DB." wrote in message
From "The Times" today:

Gatwick, Britain's second-largest airport, will lose its dedicated fast
trains under plans designed to ease overcrowding on commuter services.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...255259,00.html

Great plan! not!

That just loads more traffic onto people wanting to go to Heathrow! I don't
expect the likes of easyJet will be too happy about this proposal.

Eh? What does eliminaiton of he Gatwick Express have to do with
have to do with people wanting to go to Heathrow?

In any case ther are quite a few non-express trains to Gatwick,
including Thameslink.

Old September 11th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Roland Perry

In message , at 14:07:35 on
Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Hatunen remarked:
What does eliminaiton of he Gatwick Express have to do with
have to do with people wanting to go to Heathrow?

If people can see a Heathrow Express and no Gatwick Express, they'll be
more inclined to use Heathrow.
--
Roland Perry
Old September 11th, 2004, 08:28 AM
MartinM

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...
In message , at 14:07:35 on
Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Hatunen remarked:
What does eliminaiton of he Gatwick Express have to do with
have to do with people wanting to go to Heathrow?

I know of at least one commuter who drives to Gatwick in order to take
advantage of a 30 min journey with a table to work at. From Reigate.

Old September 11th, 2004, 09:34 AM
RAK

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:43:10 +0100, "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

"DB." wrote in message
From "The Times" today:

Gatwick, Britain's second-largest airport, will lose its dedicated fast
trains under plans designed to ease overcrowding on commuter services.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...255259,00.html

Great plan! not!

That just loads more traffic onto people wanting to go to Heathrow! I
don't
expect the likes of easyJet will be too happy about this proposal.

Eh? What does eliminaiton of he Gatwick Express have to do with
have to do with people wanting to go to Heathrow?

In any case ther are quite a few non-express trains to Gatwick,
including Thameslink.

Quite.
I often use Gatwick and never use the over-priced Gatwick Express as I don't
want to go to Victoria. I take other trains to E Croydon or London Bridge. I
would like to see some of them improved, newer trains with better luggage
space, rather than some privilged service for those who happen to like
Victoria. So there!
This certainly won't sent me via Heathrow, I would use Gatwick more if more
long haul (Asia) airlines went there.

Old September 11th, 2004, 09:56 AM
MartinM

"RAK" wrote in message

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:43:10 +0100, "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

"DB." wrote in message
From "The Times" today:

Gatwick, Britain's second-largest airport, will lose its dedicated

fast
trains under plans designed to ease overcrowding on commuter services.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...255259,00.html

Great plan! not!

That just loads more traffic onto people wanting to go to Heathrow! I
don't
expect the likes of easyJet will be too happy about this proposal.

You would think Easyjet would do some low fare deal with Southern as they
did with Thameslink at Luton. BTW I have not used GE since the NC was
introduced, even without a discount it is now £4 cheaper by Southern.

Old September 11th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Simon Elliott

On 10/09/2004, Hatunen wrote:
That just loads more traffic onto people wanting to go to Heathrow!
I don't expect the likes of easyJet will be too happy about this
proposal.

Eh? What does eliminaiton of he Gatwick Express have to do with
have to do with people wanting to go to Heathrow?

If the Gatwick Express dies then access to Heathrow might be easier for
a few people.

In any case ther are quite a few non-express trains to Gatwick,
including Thameslink.

Some of these are nearly as quick as the Gatwick Express. IIRC the
Gatwick Express only saves about five minutes.

But airline passengers with baggage will be competing for space with
commuters, and the non-express trains which stop at Gatwick are already
pretty crowded.

The Thameslink service will be affected by engineering works between
September 2004 and May 2005:

http://www.thameslink.co.uk/about_us...?1094824336245

(Which will be a pain for me as I use them to get to STN.)

--
Simon Elliott http://www.ctsn.co.uk