"Easy" SF Bay Area airport

Old September 20th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Ken

Hatunen wrote in
:
CalTrain can get you to San Jose, but it can't get you anywhere
near the airport.

There is a free shuttle from the Santa Clara Caltrain station to the San Jose
airport: http://www.vta.org/schedules/SC_10.html

Old September 20th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Hatunen

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:48:17 -0700, "PeterL"
wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
"PTRAVEL" wrote in
:
It depends on what time of day you arrive. Traffic from the East Bay
into San Francisco (and on down to San Jose) can be brutal during rush
hours. I live in San Francisco, and I never use OAK -- SFO is far more
convenient (and nicer -- OAK is a nasty airport desparately in need of
renovation).

BART will quickly get you from OAK to San Francisco or SFO.

Quicker than driving during rush hours, but depending on your definition of
"quickly".

Nearly an hour OAK to SFO, including a change of BART trains in
San Francisco, but not including the ride on the AirBART shuttle
from OAK to the Coliseum station.

On the other hand, if you drive it you have to include the time
at OAK to pick up a rental car and the time at SFO to turn it in.

But the post in question up at the top there regards someone in
San Francisco who is going to an airport. For that you have to
include time to get to a BART station, no simple matter if you
live in, say, the Outer Richmond.

Old September 21st, 2004, 02:26 AM
PTRAVEL

"Hatunen" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 07:12:05 -0700, "PTRAVEL"
wrote:

It depends on what time of day you arrive. Traffic from the East Bay into
San Francisco (and on down to San Jose) can be brutal during rush hours.
live in San Francisco, and I never use OAK -- SFO is far more convenient
(and nicer -- OAK is a nasty airport desparately in need of renovation).

If you must drive, and you are on the peninsula, OAK can be quite
difficult during rush hours, but a lot more convenient than SFO.
From the East Bay getting to OAK during rush hour is no picnic.
But if you don't drive and take BART and the BART shuttle to OAK
it isn't bad (although admittedly BART can be a bit brutal during
rush hour too).

The OP asked about parking, meaning that he would be driving. Driving to or
from OAK to San Francisco during rush hour is not more convenient than from
SFO. As for BART, it's a direct shot to SFO, with an escalator ride to the
tram. For OAK, you need to take a shuttle from the BART station -- hardly
easier. Add to that the fact that OAK is a just-plain-nasty little
airport -- few eating choices, few bars, and a ratty, dirty, 1960s
interior -- and it becomes a clear second-choice for San Francisco
airtravel.

Old September 21st, 2004, 02:27 AM
PTRAVEL

"Ken" wrote in message
"PTRAVEL" wrote in
:
It depends on what time of day you arrive. Traffic from the East Bay
into San Francisco (and on down to San Jose) can be brutal during rush
hours. I live in San Francisco, and I never use OAK -- SFO is far more
convenient (and nicer -- OAK is a nasty airport desparately in need of
renovation).

BART will quickly get you from OAK to San Francisco or SFO. You can
transfer
from BART to Caltrain to get down to San Jose. The main advantage of SFO
over
OAK is that there are many more flights to/from SFO, especially
internationally.

The OP was asking about parking. And it's still more convenient to take
BART to SFO than OAK.

Old September 21st, 2004, 10:37 AM
Icono Clast

Vitaly Shmatikov wrote:
Don't tell me you flew into Hollister to visit the Bay Area. There a
couple dozen general aviation airports closer to San Francisco than
Hollister.

Yeah, like Mills Field. Well, I presume we still have a Mills Field.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net