How much does it cost to operate?

Old May 18th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Tom & Linda

Default How much does it cost to operate?

"Scott T. Jensen" wrote in message
Just curious, but let's say a cruiseship can take on 2,000 passengers.

How
much would it cost to operate such a ship per week?

Scott Jensen
--
Like a cure for A.I.D.S., Alzheimer, Parkinson, & Mad Cow Disease?
Volunteer your computer for folding-protein research for when it's idle.

Let's look from a different direction. Let's play topside finance (like a
consultant).

Let's say, as you said, you get a 2-00 people on a ship. And let's say the
average cruise price is $750. Average for insides, outsides, balconies and
suites all mixed together. But of that, $100 is port charges. That's an
average cruise fare of $650 (whether correct or not... just an assumption).
Maybe the right number is higher. Maybe it's lower. But the average won't
be over $1000. And it won't be under $250. So the most I'm off by is
60-80%. I'm not off by 10 times.

However, in addition, let's say you spend and extra $200 on board. But of
that let's assume that the cost to them is $50 (booze, payment to shore
operators, etc.). That nets $150 in on board revenue.

I exclude tips since those go to the employees.

So the income is around $800 per person for 2000 people.

Taking $800 per person time 2000 people would bring in $1.6 million per
sailing.

If we assume an 80% operating cost resulting in a 20% profit margin, that
would mean that it costs $1.3 million to run a ship for a week.

You can then take that as an order of magnitude number. Given the potential
that my assumptions might be off (some may compound the errors while others
may offset the errors)) maybe the range is somewhere between $1 million to
$2 million to run the ship for a week.

The $1 million estimate is probably pretty close.

--Tom

Old May 18th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Tom & Linda

"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote in message
nk.net...

"CupCaked" wrote in message

I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by an "around the world"
cruise ship.

Karen

You know--a cruise ship that stretches around the world. 25000 miles in
length, 125' beam. I think the inside cabins are cheaper.

It doesn't have to be Panamax width if it's a few thousand miles longer than
Panamax length.

--Tom

Old May 18th, 2004, 01:26 AM
fishman

"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote in message
ink.net...

Nice to see you back!

Chris

Old May 18th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Ray L. Nutz

Skip the booze other than booze for crew(heavely discounted) is to be turned
into a big profit .

Jaap

"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Ray L. Nutz" wrote in message
probably about $1 Million or more
your cost would be writeoff on ship's construction loan.
Fuel of about 600 metric tons a week
Food for 2000 passengers and crew of about 450.
Wages for 450 crew
insurance
cost of shore operations (office and support)

Add to that shipboard ops like fire equipment and maintenance, medical
services and supplies, and other ongoing expenses like computer

maintenance
and booze.

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Jeff Coudriet

Crew of 450 for 2000 passengers would suck! Just plucking one example
off the web, the Celebrity Mercury fits 1870 passengers (basis 2 I
presume) and carries 909 crew.

Jeff

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Tom & Linda

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
.net...
In article ,

wrote:

Karens, some waters have more jellyfish in them hence more drag and
fuel consumption, you dummy.

Wouldn't differences in salt content also have an impact?

Only on the flavor of the pasta.

--Tom

Old May 19th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Cruising Chrissy

On Tue, 18 May 2004 18:05:49 GMT, (Kurt Ullman)
wrote:

Karens, some waters have more jellyfish in them hence more drag and
fuel consumption, you dummy.

Wouldn't differences in salt content also have an impact?

Yes, well, uh, like, no, well...

WORD!
Old May 20th, 2004, 07:14 AM
bennington

Hey all,

Watching a documentary on liners on the QM2 last week, they mentioned
that it cost the QE2 $6million to do each transatlantic. I do not know how
up to date that figure is, especially since she no longer offers regular
transatlantic service. They also said that the QE2 needed to be 60% full in
order to break even on each crossing. Hope this helps.

Ryan