Belize, Cozumel, Key West, from enchantment.

Old May 19th, 2004, 09:34 PM
mjd

Default Belize, Cozumel, Key West, from enchantment.

Key West - interesting town. Shopping was good. Hemingway's house
was interesting. Choclate covered Key Lime Pie on a stick - YUM!

Cozumel - I've seen big changes since first going there 8 years ago.
1. They destroyed my favorite reef to put in a cruise ship dock
(paradise)
2. Way more people
3. Native shopkeepers being replaced by frickin' Indians.
4. Reefs are dying. Hi Nitrate loving sponges and gorgonians are
overgrowing
dead, hard reefgrowing corals.
5. Went snorkeling/deep sea fishing with Papahogs. Snorkeling was
OK, fishing was non-eventful. Not PH's fault. Reefs dying, Ocean
being fished out.
6. I'm afraid Cozumel is paradise lost.

Belize - Interesting Country. I think they are poorer than Jamaica.
They are trying very hard to raise their educational level and
standard of living. The Belizians that I met were very proud of their
country.

The Lamanai/New River tour that I took may be my favorite excursion of
all time.
THe ride to the river was comfy, air conditioned and well narrated.
The ride was a blast. 40mph over a perfectly smooth river stopping to
see a Jaguar, Iguana, Crocs and many different birds. Didn't see any
of Belize's horribly venomous snakes. The tour of the Manyan ruins
was excellent.
Vel from velguide was very friendly and informative. An expert in
Mayan culture and Belizian history. Contact him at
.
I think he does many of the Lamanai tours for RCCL. You can also book
him independently.

Enchantment - Half the size of Navigator (my first cruise) but a very
fun ship.
Entertainment- The pseudo Beatles were great as was Blair Shannon.
Food- Very good except for one piece of angel food cake that I could
have stabbed someone with. Ordered a different dessert.
Service- One minor problem that was taken care of immediately.
4.5 out of 5 stars.