heathrow-devon-scilly advice

Old March 10th, 2014, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default heathrow-devon-scilly advice

Hi. I am planning to land at Heathrow in early June and have five days to kill and instead of doing the usual in London, I was thinking of taking a train to Devon, rent a car in Devon, staying for three or so days and then heading out to spend a night on the Isles of Scilly. Then drive back to Devon, and train back to into London, where we are meeting friends.

Some questions:

1. Doable? Enjoyable? Looking for relaxing, quaint town, good food.

2. If not, other alternatives?

3. Suggestions for places to stay, train and rental car tips?

4. Food tips?

Thanks in advance.

NR
Old March 10th, 2014, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

wrote in message

Hi. I am planning to land at Heathrow in early June and have five days to
kill and instead of doing the usual in London, I was thinking of taking a
train to Devon, rent a car in Devon, staying for three or so days and then
heading out to spend a night on the Isles of Scilly. Then drive back to
Devon, and train back to into London, where we are meeting friends.

Some questions:

1. Doable? Enjoyable? Looking for relaxing, quaint town, good food.

2. If not, other alternatives?

3. Suggestions for places to stay, train and rental car tips?

4. Food tips?

Thanks in advance.

It's too far to go in 5 days to be relaxing.

If you want relaxing and quaint within the time available I suggest the
Norfolk/Suffolk coasts (avoiding the larger resorts)

tim

NR

Old March 10th, 2014, 09:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"tim....." wrote in message

wrote in message

[...]

Not sure I totally agree. I think the plan needs modification. I'd get
the bus from Heathrow to Reading and then the train to Penzance. Spend
night 1 in Penzance and then go to Scilly for night 2. Come back to the
mainland early and hire the car. Not sure what the actual times are but
rather come back to Penzance I'd look at flying back to Newquay or even
Exeter
http://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.u...-isles-skybus/.
My preference would be pick the car up at Newquay and drive along the north
coast (possible stops include Port Isaac, Boscastle, Tintagel, Bude,
Hartland, Colvelly) as far as Barnstaple or Bideford (night 3). Then head
due south (past the RHS Rosemoor Garden near Torrington) to Okehampton and
(if time allowed) on to Tavistock and over Dartmoor (a slow road) to drop
the car and spend the night in Exeter on evening 4 whence train to London on
day 5. Europcar have offices at Newquay airport and offer a meet and greet
service at Exeter St Davids station.

Old March 11th, 2014, 01:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

So, basically skip Devon and head from Heathrow to Newquay
(Train? Plane? Possible?), get a car, tool around the end
of Cornwall, spend a night there, ditch the car, then ferry
over to Scilly, spend two nights there and then ferry back
and well, what's the best way back to London, So Kensington?

Do you realize what driving round Cornwall is like?

(Imagine the skeleton bobsled event from Sochi, only with high
stone walls on each side).

Old March 12th, 2014, 09:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Hi. I am planning to land at Heathrow in early June and have five days
to kill and instead of doing the usual in London, I was thinking of
taking a train to Devon, rent a car in Devon, staying for three or so
days and then heading out to spend a night on the Isles of Scilly. Then
drive back to Devon, and train back to into London, where we are meeting
friends.

Some questions:

1. Doable? Enjoyable? Looking for relaxing, quaint town, good food.

Sure. Well, I'd be inclined to skip the Scilly Isles as not interesting
enough to be worth the trouble of getting there.

Note that you have two main choices of where in Devon to switch between
train and car: there's Exeter, and there's Plymouth, which is on the
boundary with Cornwall.

Also note that trains are currently not running through to Plymouth:
one of the most scenic bits of the railway, where it runs right along
the seashore (at Dawlish), was washed out by a major storm last month
and the repairs aren't complete yet. They're expecting to have it back
in service in early April, though, so it should be fine when you go.
--
Mark Brader | "Opening a monitor case is not for the inexperienced
Toronto | or the faint of heart, unless you need

Old March 13th, 2014, 06:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:
Well, I'd be inclined to skip the Scilly Isles...

"Martin":
Have you been to the Scilly Isles?

Only for one day, and that on foot once we got there. Perhaps I should
have spoken more circumspectly.

I'd go.

Please expand.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and