back from the brink

Old April 15th, 2015, 09:31 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
zulu

Default back from the brink

On 2015-04-13, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 13 Apr 2015 13:48:36 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

That's all well and good, but is nowhere near the user experience of
connecting a drive and clicking "Use for Backups".

I don't do it for 'user experience'. In fact, I'm trying to avoid a
'user experience'.

I don't think that you know what the term means.

I know what it means to me. :-)

What does it mean to you?

The experience of everything turning to custard.

........and Apple crumble!

Old April 15th, 2015, 10:15 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
Eric Stevens

On 2015-04-13, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 13 Apr 2015 13:48:36 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

That's all well and good, but is nowhere near the user experience of
connecting a drive and clicking "Use for Backups".

I don't do it for 'user experience'. In fact, I'm trying to avoid a
'user experience'.

I don't think that you know what the term means.

I know what it means to me. :-)

What does it mean to you?

The experience of everything turning to custard.

More nonsense. Not surprised.

Now it's your turn. What does it mean to you?
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:16 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 21:31:13 +0100, "zulu"
wrote:

.. .

On 2015-04-13, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 13 Apr 2015 13:48:36 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

That's all well and good, but is nowhere near the user experience of
connecting a drive and clicking "Use for Backups".

I don't do it for 'user experience'. In fact, I'm trying to avoid a
'user experience'.

I don't think that you know what the term means.

I know what it means to me. :-)

What does it mean to you?

The experience of everything turning to custard.

.......and Apple crumble!

SHHH ...

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:49 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
Jolly Roger[_3_]

On 2015-04-13, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 13 Apr 2015 13:48:36 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

That's all well and good, but is nowhere near the user experience of
connecting a drive and clicking "Use for Backups".

I don't do it for 'user experience'. In fact, I'm trying to avoid a
'user experience'.

I don't think that you know what the term means.

I know what it means to me. :-)

What does it mean to you?

The experience of everything turning to custard.

More nonsense. Not surprised.

Now it's your turn. What does it mean to you?

User experience is the overall experience a user has while using a
product. Duh.

JR
Old April 16th, 2015, 01:38 AM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
Eric Stevens

On 2015-04-13, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 13 Apr 2015 13:48:36 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

That's all well and good, but is nowhere near the user experience of
connecting a drive and clicking "Use for Backups".

I don't do it for 'user experience'. In fact, I'm trying to avoid a
'user experience'.

I don't think that you know what the term means.

I know what it means to me. :-)

What does it mean to you?

The experience of everything turning to custard.

More nonsense. Not surprised.

Now it's your turn. What does it mean to you?

User experience is the overall experience a user has while using a
product. Duh.

But the events which make up the value which you refer to as 'user
experience' are weighted by their desirability. Having everything turn
to custard (aka 'losing the lot') is a user experience I wish to
avoid.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

On 2015-04-13, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 13 Apr 2015 13:48:36 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

That's all well and good, but is nowhere near the user experience of
connecting a drive and clicking "Use for Backups".

I don't do it for 'user experience'. In fact, I'm trying to avoid a
'user experience'.

I don't think that you know what the term means.

I know what it means to me. :-)

What does it mean to you?

The experience of everything turning to custard.

.......and Apple crumble!

SHHH ...

What are you doing wrong in Forte to make your reply part of the quote?
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:29 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
Jolly Roger[_3_]

On 2015-04-16, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 15 Apr 2015 22:49:38 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

User experience is the overall experience a user has while using a
product. Duh.

But the events which make up the value which you refer to as 'user
experience' are weighted by their desirability. Having everything turn
to custard (aka 'losing the lot') is a user experience I wish to
avoid.

Backups allow you to avoid that experience, silly.

The point I was making, which you refuse to acknowledge, is that to do
backups, Mac users simply connect a drive and click "Use for Backups",
which is far easier and simpler than *many* other backup solutions
available, including the one you use.

This conversation is a waste of my time. Feel free to carry on by
yourself from here on out.

JR
Old April 16th, 2015, 11:34 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
Eric Stevens

On 2015-04-16, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 15 Apr 2015 22:49:38 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

User experience is the overall experience a user has while using a
product. Duh.

But the events which make up the value which you refer to as 'user
experience' are weighted by their desirability. Having everything turn
to custard (aka 'losing the lot') is a user experience I wish to
avoid.

Backups allow you to avoid that experience, silly.

You seem to have already forgotten that only the other day I wrote:

On the other hand, I back up all vital data on PC1 to PC 2. All
vital data on PC 2 is backed up onto PC 1. Then both PC backups are
backed up onto a 4Tb external drive on PC 1. Backups are controlled
by Second Copy http://www.secondcopy.com/ which also is on PC 1.

The point I was making, which you refuse to acknowledge, is that to do
backups, Mac users simply connect a drive and click "Use for Backups",
which is far easier and simpler than *many* other backup solutions
available, including the one you use.

Only a minute ago you were trying to argue about the meaning of 'user
experience'.

This conversation is a waste of my time. Feel free to carry on by
yourself from here on out.

A good idea. I can do without your help.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old May 10th, 2015, 12:12 AM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
D. Spencer Hines

This is why it is important to back up to more than one location.

Eschew single backups.

"The final happiness of man consists in the contemplation of truth....
This is sought for its own sake, and is directed to no other end beyond
itself."

Saint Thomas Aquinas, [1224/5-1274] _Summa Contra Gentiles_
[c. 1258-1264]
"Lewis" wrote in message ...

In message
On 2015-04-09, Lewis wrote:

I love how s/he/it blame Yosemite for s/he/it's ****up.

A bad workman always blames his tools.

It's remarkable how defensive the iCrowd gets about catastrophes.

Catastrophes caused by idiocy that are blamed on the computer, yes.

I've lost things and it's awful.

So have I. I once erased many TB of data with amispalced space in a
backup script. While transfering another chunk of TB of data from a
failing drive to a backup, both drives went tits up. It's not fun.

Since I'm a computer engineer, I have the knowledge to indulge my
obsession with backups. For (computer) laymen, the loss of data varies
from a PITA to life-changing crisis.

Right, but with proper backups you should never lose much data at all.

In this case there is a backup, but E-wassit seems to not want to talk
about why s/he/it is not using it and also claims it doesn't contain any
data, only apps. Which is absurd.

--
You are forgetting something: the Nazgul are immune to non-magical weapons.