body scanners in European airports

Old September 7th, 2011, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black[_2_]

Default body scanners in European airports

On 07/09/11 22:49, Erilar wrote:
wrote:
Schiphol is going to buy more of the scanners that Germany rejected.

A: i can't figure why people are afraid of them.

B: i just heard on the news that we're soon going to be allowed to wear
shoes through security again. HOORAY! This has irritated me more than
any of their other intrusions from the very beginning, because they never
give you a place to sit down to take them off(except the one time I was in
Heath Row) and seldom have a place anywhere near to put them back on.

The only place I've had to take my shoes off in the past couple of years
has been the 'air side' security check at CDG.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 131

Isn't he funny

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 13:45:50 +0200, Tom P wrote:

I suspect that the motivation for getting the scanners was not to
catch terrorists but reduce staffing.

Me too! A terrorist could do that too :-)
--

Martin

Old September 8th, 2011, 07:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 131

medievalist lol
I love those who show off that way

"Erilar" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

James Silverton wrote:
On 8/9/2011 4:26 PM, Erilar wrote:
Johannes wrote:
Erilar wrote:

.?? I really can't see why anyone would prefer an intrusive body
pat-down
to an innocuous body scanner on an occasional trip.

A body pat-down is usually only done if the metal scanners indicate you
have anything metallic on you.

Some body scanners, however, produce an image that resembles you being
naked, or at least might reveal other things quite personal (elderly
person having to wear diapers, somebody with an ostomy?).
If body scanners are introduced, everbody will have to go through them.

So the choice is rather no pat-down vs. being seen naked. It's ok if you
don't mind being naked, but quite a few do.

Any total stranger thrilled by a sight of my ancient body is someone I'm
more than a bit unlikely to care a proverbial fig for.

There is no reason why the scanner operator or the image should be
visible to travellers and any audible disparaging comments by operators
should be grounds for dismissal.

Exactly why I find this scanner paranoia silly 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

Old September 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
baby4luv01

Hola,
Mi nombre es Lillian, una niña sola, vi su perfil en (www.nonsolonews.net),
puede ponerse en contacto conmigo en mi dirección de correo electrónico
), tengo algo importante que decirte
Gracias
Lillian
.................................................. ..........
Hello,
My name is Lillian,a single girl,I saw your profile at
(www.nonsolonews.net),can you please contact me on my email address
),I have something important to tell you
Thank you
Lillian
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 2011-09-03 05:28:45 -0500, Martin said:

I certainly beats grinding down the crappy Italian autostrade for a
day or
more

We did it from Ancona the first couple of times, but we vastly prefer
Venice Patras. We never tried the much cheaper option of Brindisi
Patras

For someone considering the Brindisi-Patras ferry, note that you do not
have to stay in the crazy, CRAZY town. Go to the port. There is a really
nice, large, hotel there called Nettuno. The ferry leaves mid-morning,
and there is plenty of time beforehand to get the tickets on the day of
travel. Note that you need to drive past the roulette of aggresive
peddlers, though, to reach the main terminal/ticket office.

I would also recommend getting a private cabin if you can afford it. I
have HAD IT with Screaming Children Hell on ferries!! arhhh!

And get a 1st class cabin.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 09/08/2011 12:27 AM, William Black wrote:
On 07/09/11 22:49, Erilar wrote:
wrote:
Schiphol is going to buy more of the scanners that Germany rejected.

A: i can't figure why people are afraid of them.

B: i just heard on the news that we're soon going to be allowed to wear
shoes through security again. HOORAY! This has irritated me more than
any of their other intrusions from the very beginning, because they never
give you a place to sit down to take them off(except the one time I
was in
Heath Row) and seldom have a place anywhere near to put them back on.

The only place I've had to take my shoes off in the past couple of years
has been the 'air side' security check at CDG.

My last trip I was wearing my hiking boots. I offered to take them off,
but they said not to unless the scanner alarm went off - which of course
it did, so I had to take them off anyway.
I have another pair of shoes with some kind of metal strip in the sole
- it always sets the alarm off.

Old April 22nd, 2015, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Update --

(1) I at long last got to revisit Greece and I can confirm the Athens
airport does not have the body scanners, just metal detectors. Nor
Frankfurt (my connecting city). I infer this is true for any Schingen
country.

(2) Within the USA, you can get a Known Traveller Number, after going
through a lengthy application process, to in effect have a background
check, to avoid the scanners in the USA, and use the metal detectors
instead. You also get a shorter security line.

Dan

On 2011-08-08 21:56:10 +0000, Dan Stephenson said:

My plans were to visit Europe again in October, but it has come to my
attention that the use of those body scanners has become common since
the attempted bombing of that flight to Detroit last Christmas 2009.
My last flight was prior to that.

So I called the Athens airport and spoke to their security people who
said that they had the scanners and their use was required, and
furthermore that this was to be found in the other airports in Europe.

This sounds incredible but it is plausible. Can anyone confirm this at
your local big airport? My googling only turned up EU regular that
"permitted" the scanners and a lot of talk of health issues. But that
is all.

On 2011-08-08 21:56:10 +0000, Dan Stephenson said:

My plans were to visit Europe again in October, but it has come to my
attention that the use of those body scanners has become common since
the attempted bombing of that flight to Detroit last Christmas 2009.
My last flight was prior to that.

So I called the Athens airport and spoke to their security people who
said that they had the scanners and their use was required, and
furthermore that this was to be found in the other airports in Europe.

This sounds incredible but it is plausible. Can anyone confirm this
at your local big airport? My googling only turned up EU regular that
"permitted" the scanners and a lot of talk of health issues. But that
is all.

They've got them now in Duesseldorf International.

On 2011-08-08 21:56:10 +0000, Dan Stephenson said:

My plans were to visit Europe again in October, but it has come to my
attention that the use of those body scanners has become common since
the attempted bombing of that flight to Detroit last Christmas 2009.
My last flight was prior to that.

So I called the Athens airport and spoke to their security people who
said that they had the scanners and their use was required, and
furthermore that this was to be found in the other airports in Europe.

This sounds incredible but it is plausible. Can anyone confirm this
at your local big airport? My googling only turned up EU regular that
"permitted" the scanners and a lot of talk of health issues. But that
is all.

They've got them now in Duesseldorf International.

Body scanners don't bother me, but taking off my shoes did. Being obviously
old and leaning on a cane has been sparing me lately, however.
--
biblioholic medievalist