body scanners in European airports

Old August 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

Default body scanners in European airports

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 14:58:20 +0000 (UTC), Erilar

On 2011-08-08 19:23:58 -0500, Ken Blake said:

I can't speak about all of Europe, but I flew out of Athens a couple
of months ago. I didn't go through a body scanner.

I should phone back. Perhaps they thought I mean the metal detector.

Did you see body scanners there, and if so, could you tell how they
selected people to use them?

.?? I really can't see why anyone would prefer an intrusive body pat-down
to an innocuous body scanner on an occasional trip.

I've undergone both, at various times, and have no serious objection
to either. I've never found the "body pat-down" to be intrusive. At
worst, it was time-consuming.

--
Ken Blake
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 2011-08-08 19:23:58 -0500, Ken Blake said:

I can't speak about all of Europe, but I flew out of Athens a couple
of months ago. I didn't go through a body scanner.

I should phone back. Perhaps they thought I mean the metal detector.

Did you see body scanners there, and if so, could you tell how they
selected people to use them?

.?? I really can't see why anyone would prefer an intrusive body pat-down
to an innocuous body scanner on an occasional trip.

I've undergone both, at various times, and have no serious objection
to either. I've never found the "body pat-down" to be intrusive. At
worst, it was time-consuming.

Mostly I find the pat-down annoying - but once, I was randomly selected
for a secondary security check at the gate - the pat-down was so
thorough it should have been preceded by an engagement party...

Old August 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Johannes Kleese wrote:
Erilar wrote:

.?? I really can't see why anyone would prefer an intrusive body pat-down
to an innocuous body scanner on an occasional trip.

A body pat-down is usually only done if the metal scanners indicate you
have anything metallic on you.

Some body scanners, however, produce an image that resembles you being
naked, or at least might reveal other things quite personal (elderly
person having to wear diapers, somebody with an ostomy?).
If body scanners are introduced, everbody will have to go through them.

So the choice is rather no pat-down vs. being seen naked. It's ok if you
don't mind being naked, but quite a few do.

Any total stranger thrilled by a sight of my ancient body is someone I'm
more than a bit unlikely to care a proverbial fig for.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

On 8/9/2011 4:26 PM, Erilar wrote:
Johannes wrote:
Erilar wrote:

.?? I really can't see why anyone would prefer an intrusive body pat-down
to an innocuous body scanner on an occasional trip.

A body pat-down is usually only done if the metal scanners indicate you
have anything metallic on you.

Some body scanners, however, produce an image that resembles you being
naked, or at least might reveal other things quite personal (elderly
person having to wear diapers, somebody with an ostomy?).
If body scanners are introduced, everbody will have to go through them.

So the choice is rather no pat-down vs. being seen naked. It's ok if you
don't mind being naked, but quite a few do.

Any total stranger thrilled by a sight of my ancient body is someone I'm
more than a bit unlikely to care a proverbial fig for.

There is no reason why the scanner operator or the image should be
visible to travellers and any audible disparaging comments by operators
should be grounds for dismissal.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Old August 10th, 2011, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Johannes wrote:
Erilar wrote:

[...]

Exactly why I find this scanner paranoia silly 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old August 10th, 2011, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 8/9/2011 6:18 PM, Martin wrote:
wrote:
Mostly I find the pat-down annoying - but once, I was randomly selected
for a secondary security check at the gate - the pat-down was so
thorough it should have been preceded by an engagement party...

:-)

Did he have to marry you?

She.
No.
My husband wouldn't have been happy about that...
Old August 10th, 2011, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

On Aug 8, 11:56*pm, Dan Stephenson wrote:
My plans were to visit Europe again in October, but it has come to my
attention that the use of those body scanners has become common since
the attempted bombing of that flight to Detroit last Christmas 2009. *
My last flight was prior to that.

So I called the Athens airport and spoke to their security people who
said that they had the scanners and their use was required, and
furthermore that this was to be found in the other airports in Europe.

This sounds incredible but it is plausible. *Can anyone confirm this at
your local big airport? *My googling only turned up EU regular that
"permitted" the scanners and a lot of talk of health issues. *But that
is all.

--
Dan Stephensonhttp://web.mac.com/stepheda
Travel pages for Europe and the U.S.A. (and New Zealand too)

I've never seen any such scanners at Stuttgart Airport. I was scanned
3-4 years ago at Amsterdam on a flight from there to Stuttgart, and it
was mandatory (or at least that was what the security personnel said).

George
Old August 11th, 2011, 01:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2011-08-09 15:26:48 -0500, Erilar said:

Johannes Kleese wrote:
Erilar wrote:

.?? I really can't see why anyone would prefer an intrusive body pat-down
to an innocuous body scanner on an occasional trip.

A body pat-down is usually only done if the metal scanners indicate you
have anything metallic on you.

Some body scanners, however, produce an image that resembles you being
naked, or at least might reveal other things quite personal (elderly
person having to wear diapers, somebody with an ostomy?).
If body scanners are introduced, everbody will have to go through them.

So the choice is rather no pat-down vs. being seen naked. It's ok if you
don't mind being naked, but quite a few do.

Any total stranger thrilled by a sight of my ancient body is someone I'm
more than a bit unlikely to care a proverbial fig for.

So, you don't know what the body scanner situation is in the Athens airport?