Key West T-shirt seller accused of overcharging couple

Old November 21st, 2003, 10:55 AM
fishman

Default Key West T-shirt seller accused of overcharging couple

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...te/7313994.htm

A Key West T-shirt shop clerk has been arrested on grand theft charges after
charging a Japanese couple nearly $800 for six T-shirts.

David Rothschild, 23, a clerk at Bikini Village on Duval St., gave the
couple a written estimate of $198.89 for the six shirts, but when they got
to their hotel the pair realized their credit card had been charged $798.89.

When they returned to the shop, they said Rothschild was belligerent and
refused to refund the money.

The city has struggled for years to tamp down T-shirt fraud and on Tuesday
stiffened ordinances and increased fines.

Old November 21st, 2003, 12:22 PM
Susette405

NEver knew there was TEE SHIRT FRAUD
But you mean you do not see this on your credit card? When you sign it?
and 6 tee shirts for $198? this sound so odd...

Susette
Join us on our Annual Group Cruise 29Nov03 Navigator of the Seas
Check out our new website: www.cruiseoutlets.com
Old November 21st, 2003, 12:39 PM
Paul Hoffman

--
" The only thing more expensive than hiring a professional is hiring an
amateur" Red Adair
"Susette405" wrote in message
NEver knew there was TEE SHIRT FRAUD
But you mean you do not see this on your credit card? When you sign it?
and 6 tee shirts for $198? this sound so odd...

Susette
Join us on our Annual Group Cruise 29Nov03 Navigator of the Seas
Check out our new website: www.cruiseoutlets.com

In defenseof the couple allegedly overcharges I quite often sign my credit
card receipt without verifying th echarge. I realise that this is less that
wise but my nature being what it is I often forget tocheck. Luckily to date
I have not been burned. When travelling however I do tend to be more
careful.

Paul

Paul Hoffman
Burlington ON
or

Old November 21st, 2003, 12:56 PM
Rich Cacace

I'll bet some could slip one over on you in Japan next week & it might even
take you longer to figure it out.

Old November 21st, 2003, 03:27 PM
Queen of Cruising

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:55:30 -0500, "fishman"
wrote:

A Key West T-shirt shop clerk has been arrested on grand theft charges after
charging a Japanese couple nearly $800 for six T-shirts.

Who's prosecuting the Japs for selling us $.01 trinkets for $10 for
decades?
Old November 21st, 2003, 03:28 PM
Queen of Cruising

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:37:06 GMT, (CupCaked)
wrote:

I didn't know Susette was going to Japan next week.

We can only hope.
Old November 21st, 2003, 05:13 PM
Duck

wrote:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...te/7313994.htm

A Key West T-shirt shop clerk has been arrested on grand theft charges after
charging a Japanese couple nearly $800 for six T-shirts.

David Rothschild, 23, a clerk at Bikini Village on Duval St., gave the
couple a written estimate of $198.89 for the six shirts, but when they got
to their hotel the pair realized their credit card had been charged $798.89.

When they returned to the shop, they said Rothschild was belligerent and
refused to refund the money.

The city has struggled for years to tamp down T-shirt fraud and on Tuesday
stiffened ordinances and increased fines.

Chit they were takin for paying $198 for 6 T-SHIRTS.
Must had gold inlay
Old November 21st, 2003, 10:25 PM
Eileen Garland

Right. I always had a great time trying to figure out how to translate
something like 17,000 liras (or maybe it was pesos) to the dollar.

Eileen

Old November 21st, 2003, 11:15 PM
Murray Lundberg

Queen of Cruising wrote in message . ..
Who's prosecuting the Japs for selling us $.01 trinkets for $10 for
decades?

Who's locking up Yanks for being stupid enough to pay $10 for $.01 trinkets????