Recommendation for affordable hotel in Rome in city center

Old September 12th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Lil

Default Recommendation for affordable hotel in Rome in city center

My Mom loves those hop on hop off bus rides. We did it in Washington
DC and when they got tired, it was very convenient. We'll look into
that when we get to Rome. Thanks.

"GG" wrote in message et...

Originally posted by Lil

I'll check it out. Is it close to the metro or a bus? (My Mom has a

bum knee and I want her to "make it" to the sights.

Thanks.

Lil

A few years ago I spent five days in Rome with elderly parents who had
limited stamina for walking as a basic means of transportation. We tried
the bus and subway a couple of times, but those were a struggle too with
crowding, so we were mostly using taxis to get around. The third day, I
noticed a brochure for a hop-on/hop-off bus. For the next two days we used
two different tours to get around for the day and it worked out very well.
They were reasonably priced and kept fairly close to their schedules. They
both provided some commentary between stops, and their itineraries were
somewhat different which provided some variety. I found this link for bus
tours of Rome, three of which are the hop-on/off type.
http://www.romeguide.it/FILES/visite/bus_tour.html .
Buon viaggio!
GG

Old September 12th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Barbara Vaughan

Lil wrote:

My Mom loves those hop on hop off bus rides. We did it in Washington
DC and when they got tired, it was very convenient. We'll look into
that when we get to Rome. Thanks.

These busses may be very convenient for your Mom. There is one called
the Archeobus that goes to some of the archeological sites outside the
city proper. However, much of Rome's charm is in the little streets
where no bus can go. Do try to do some walking off the beaten track in
the historic center and in Trastevere.

Barbara