Advice LAX to LHR

Old September 28th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Kenneth Litwak

Default Advice LAX to LHR

I need to book seats for December from LAX to LHR for my wife and I
to attend my Ph.D. graduation in Bristol. I've taken the trip several
times from SFO to LHR and once from a conference in Orlando, FL to
Gatwick. I'm trying to decide what will be the least uncomfortable in
terms of leg space in coach and air conditioning . I've been in UAL's
coach section, with no working headphone jack and it was somewhat
uncomfortable on my legs, but at least the air conditioning was decent.
I had good entertainment and the best meals and snacks on Virgin
Atlantic but the air was not too fresh and that ws the shortest leg
space I've encountered. British Airways was similar to UAL, but it was
my first trip and I didn't know what I was doing so I ended up with an
aisle seat (as requested) in the very last row in the plane, sharing the
armrest with a woman who held an infant the whole 10.5 hours. Oiy!

So who will have the most leg room? Best air conditioning? Best
meals? Best entertainment? Really, the seating is most important,
followed by the air. I can always take snacks or sandwiches with me and
I usually take a novel along anyway (last time I took a scholarly book
but I also had points so I got a seat in business there and first class
back) .

Any thoughts about planning a stopover in the middle, like in New
York? Will an hour or two off the plane make the trip seem less wearying
or more wearying? Thanks.

Ken

Old September 28th, 2003, 06:06 AM
mrtravel

Kenneth Litwak wrote:
Really, the seating is most important,

If so, then take the AA nonstop

Old September 28th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Kenneth Litwak wrote:

[...]

I'd be inclined to go on American. A bit more leg room than BA. And
you still have individual vents (BA doesn't equip its latest long-haul
a/c with such).
Old September 28th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Bob & Barbara Mann

Most recent exoerience - Miami to Heathrow in April. Adequate legroom,
good inflight entertainment, food OK.
Oh, AA 767.

Old September 29th, 2003, 12:59 AM
Jeff Hacker

American still has "more room in coach" on their 767's and 777's, so they'd
be your best bet - I don't know if they fly SFO-LHR anymore, but even with a
connection in Chicago, it would be better for legroom. Don't expect much in
the way of meals, though.

Jeff

Old September 29th, 2003, 01:49 AM
Kenneth Litwak

Thanks for the info. I have one small follow-up question that I'm
curious about. I've never been on any AA plane except an MD-11 I think
it is. My impression at the time was that the seats were just wide
enough for Twiggy to be comfortable in but no one else. Are the seats on
the larger planes just as narrow? Thanks.

Ken

Old September 29th, 2003, 03:06 AM
mrtravel

Jeff Hacker wrote:
American still has "more room in coach" on their 767's and 777's, so they'd
be your best bet - I don't know if they fly SFO-LHR anymore, but even with a
connection in Chicago, it would be better for legroom. Don't expect much in
the way of meals, though.

AA doesn't do a nonstop from SFO-LHR

They do fly LAX-LHR though. That is what the subject line says, or did I
miss something.

Old September 29th, 2003, 05:58 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Kenneth Litwak wrote:

Thanks for the info. I have one small follow-up question that I'm
curious about. I've never been on any AA plane except an MD-11 I think
it is. My impression at the time was that the seats were just wide
enough for Twiggy to be comfortable in but no one else. Are the seats on
the larger planes just as narrow? Thanks.

It's prety much the same in econoym for all airlines. most seats are
17-18" wide
Old September 29th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Kenneth Litwak

mrtravel wrote:

Jeff Hacker wrote:
American still has "more room in coach" on their 767's and 777's, so they'd
be your best bet - I don't know if they fly SFO-LHR anymore, but even with a
connection in Chicago, it would be better for legroom. Don't expect much in
the way of meals, though.

AA doesn't do a nonstop from SFO-LHR

They do fly LAX-LHR though. That is what the subject line says, or did I
miss something.

No. You got it right. I used to do SFO-LHR on United because I had points. Now
I have no points and I'm much closer to LAX. Thanks.

Ken

Old September 29th, 2003, 03:43 PM
ACottingto

good legroom and service on Air New Zealand non stop LAX - LHR daily