Air Asia anyone?

Old April 27th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Sjoerd

Default Air Asia anyone?

I just booked some flights on Air Asia for incredibly cheap fares. Anyone
here who flew on them? Any experiences to share? I will do BKK -KUL and SIN-
BKK.

Thanks in advance.

Sjoerd

Old April 27th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Jan

"Sjoerd" wrote in message
I just booked some flights on Air Asia for incredibly cheap fares. Anyone
here who flew on them? Any experiences to share? I will do BKK -KUL and

SIN-
BKK.

Thanks in advance.

Sjoerd

Flew KUL-BKK-KUL in Feb/arch this year.

Excellent value for money. Will definitely use them again.

We were issued with paper (Till roll) boarding passes at KUL. Its Free
seating on board. The right hand side boarding gate is for parents and
children and Elderly passengers, who board first. This was the same for our
return from BKK.
For both flights we had First row Exit aisle seat and aisle seat on right
side.
The flight from KUL was on time, the return flight was about 40 mins late.
Light snacks and drinks can be purchased on board.
When you return to KUL make sure you go through immigration. Air Asia (then)
was using the Domestic terminal for landing, we got off the plane quickly
and the ground staff were not there to direct us the correct way !! We
didn't realise, having flown to the same terminal with MAS on many
occasions, we just went our usual route, that was, until we reached the
Baggage area and realised we hadn't yet had our passports stamped !! We and
a few other passengers had to go into immigration and be interviewed, and I
suspect AirAsia got a Rollicking.

Jan

Old April 28th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Gregory Morrow

Sjoerd wrote:

I just booked some flights on Air Asia for incredibly cheap fares. Anyone
here who flew on them? Any experiences to share? I will do BKK -KUL and

SIN-
BKK.

Somesample reviews he

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/air_asia.htm

Air Asia - by Abdul Rahmat Omar

KUL-PEN-KUL, KUL-AOR-KUL, LGK-KUL and the BKK-KUL sectors. Most of the time
flights are right on the dot for both departures and arrivals. Only delays
I've had was when we had to divert to PEN (LGK-KUL 1730hrs 12 Feb 04) for
technical reasons, and delayed take-off due to traffic (BKK-KUL 1510hrs 14
Mar 04). Now I can take my family almost anywhere without worrying too much
about my plastic melting.

Air Asia - by Tawfiq Isa

KUL to PEN last week. It was a great experience travel with this low-cost
airline. I choose the day flight (7.20am) as there is only 2 choices day or
night. The staff at check-in counter was quite rude. Depart on time.
Uncomfortable seat because this flight using the old AC. Cabin crew was
great and friendly (the steward uniform was nice, better then MH). I buy a
sandwich and mango juice and it cost RM 9.00. This 50min flight was arrive
on time with no aerobridge and it cost about RM 80.00 include the food.

Air Asia - by Richard Sterchi

Flight from KUL -TGG. Don't look for legroom on the 737-300, but if you want
a bit of comfort sit on the first row of seats (ample legroom) as soon as
you board the aircraft. Most people tend to move to the back. Also means you
will be first of the plane. The Galley is up front which will also give you
good service if you need anything. Air Asia tends to add 15 to 20 minutes to
it's flying time in case of delays. KUL to TGG took 35 minutes instead of
50. Good and easy flight. Worth the money.

Air Asia - by Hugues Martel

JHB-KUL: umbrella were offered to passenger to board the plane as it was
raining. Crew were very polite and seemed very professional. The seat are
comfortable. As mentioned before, the legroom is limited but for the fare
19.99RM, you can not complain. Then in conclusion a very good low cost
airline. I would definitely recommend it to anybody travelling in Malaysia
or Thailand."

/

Old April 28th, 2004, 10:59 PM
 @X.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:30:17 +0200, "Sjoerd"
wrote:

I just booked some flights on Air Asia for incredibly cheap fares. Anyone
here who flew on them? Any experiences to share? I will do BKK -KUL and SIN-
BKK.

Thanks in advance.

An outstanding value. There prices are amazing. In some respects you
get what you pay for but considering how cheap they are you can't
complain. Good points. Cheap, easy to book, prompt and on time,
efficient, friendly staff and did I mention cheap. Down sides. No
assigned seating. The absolute least amount of leg room of any airline
I ever flew in my life. Not designed for 6' westerners. Meal costs
extra. Like I said I can not complain much for the price I paid
though. I will fly them again any chance I get based on value.
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:47 AM

wrote:

I just booked some flights on Air Asia for incredibly cheap fares. Anyone
here who flew on them? Any experiences to share? I will do BKK -KUL and SIN-
BKK.

Thanks in advance.

An outstanding value. There prices are amazing.

Yes, you're stupid. 'Their". Let's dummy up!

Old April 29th, 2004, 12:49 AM

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:59:08 -0700, *@X.* wrote:

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:30:17 +0200, "Sjoerd"

Hahahah says it all.

Old April 29th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Sjoerd

@X. schreef in bericht
Not designed for 6' westerners.

I am 6'4. But after flying Mongolian Airlines economy class I can't believe
that Air Asia are worse.

Sjoerd

Old April 29th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Jan

"Sjoerd" wrote in message

@X. schreef in bericht
Not designed for 6' westerners.

I am 6'4. But after flying Mongolian Airlines economy class I can't

believe
that Air Asia are worse.

Sjoerd

.....Its no worse than Easyjet.
We also had no prblem getting the first row seats, the "locals" did not wish
to sit at the front!

Jan

Old April 29th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Sjoerd

"Jan" schreef in bericht

"Sjoerd" wrote in message

@X. schreef in bericht
Not designed for 6' westerners.

I am 6'4. But after flying Mongolian Airlines economy class I can't

believe
that Air Asia are worse.

Sjoerd

....Its no worse than Easyjet.

Easyjet is fine. I can sit normally in their seats. So Air Asia should be OK
too.

Sjoerd

Old May 1st, 2004, 09:40 AM
Mika

X-posted to rta to invite further comments

"Sjoerd" wrote in message ...
I just booked some flights on Air Asia for incredibly cheap fares. Anyone
here who flew on them? Any experiences to share? I will do BKK -KUL and SIN-
BKK.

I flew AK a few weeks ago from Johor Bahru to Kota Kinabalu and
back from KK to KL.

It seems like a very useful airline for me in the region. I usually
fly into KUL or SIN and often continue on to Borneo. During SARS all
direct flights from SIN to BKI disappeared and have not reappered
yet.

Since getting to JB from Singapore is no problem at all (Taxi S$50,
bus much cheaper) I was delighted to find out that this alternative
now exists.

AK does not have a lot of planes, so be prepared for schedule changes.
They DO send you an email when that happens. I was a bit careless and
did not phone them before the return flight. And since I was on
Sipadan I had no access to my email. Got to terminal 2 at BKI to find
out the flight had already left (T2 is the no-frills side of BKI, no
shops, no food, and you wait outside). They were nice enough to put me
on the next flight to KUL. From where I then caught the next SIN shuttle
at my own expense. No big deal.

Seat pitch is tight. But you cannot argue with RM 99 for JB-KK (@ EUR 20).

Checked luggage limit is 15kg. Bit of a problem for me as a diver, I
rarely get my weight down below 30kg, and only if I travel with less
than 5 t-shirts. Extra kg is only RM 8 though, and they give you some
free excess baggage if you ask nicely.

Snacks and drinks are sold for cash. Coke RM 3, Nasi lemak or a sandwich
for RM 7 or so. Cheap and quite ok. Want service? Fly SQ. Except that they
don't do BKI at the moment.

Conclusion: I'll use them again.

And it'll be quite interesting to see what the arrival of the no-frills
will do to the market in this area.