What form of ID needed for a baby?

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Boris the Spider

Default What form of ID needed for a baby?

We might travel by air (USA, domestic) in July with our baby who will be
about 7 months old then. Do they ask for some form of picture ID for
infants? The only ID we have for her is her birth certificate, nothing
with her picture on it - although the birth certificate has our
(parents') names and we, of course, have proper ID - can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Boris the Spider

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:43 PM
mrtravelkay

Boris the Spider wrote:
We might travel by air (USA, domestic) in July with our baby who will be
about 7 months old then. Do they ask for some form of picture ID for
infants? The only ID we have for her is her birth certificate, nothing
with her picture on it - although the birth certificate has our
(parents') names and we, of course, have proper ID - can anyone advise?

No id will be needed.. If the fare required her to be under 2, and she
was a little bit older, I would suggest a birth certificate. Generally,
no ID is required for children 16 and younger. However, in some cases
you might need ID to show age. This wouldn't be a problem for most 9
year olds, for instance, as you don't generally try to pass them off for
free "under 2" travel, and they don't look old enough for the age 16
requirement. There was an episode of Airline where a woman tried to
tell WN the child was under 2. As I remember it, the airline even called
the hospital and they had no record of the child being born on the day
the mother had claimed. This shouldn't be a problem if you child looks
like a regular 7 month old.

Old May 6th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Traveller

"Boris the Spider" wrote in message
We might travel by air (USA, domestic) in July with our baby who will be
about 7 months old then. Do they ask for some form of picture ID for
infants? The only ID we have for her is her birth certificate, nothing
with her picture on it - although the birth certificate has our
(parents') names and we, of course, have proper ID - can anyone advise?

Generally, no picture ID is required for infants - but always check with the
airline before you travel. Carrying a copy of her birth certificate is a
good idea.

Remember also that depending on the airline you MAY need to make a
reservation for your baby even if she's travelling for free. If you want a
seat for her, for example to use her car seat, then you do of course need to
book a child ticket.

Old May 6th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
Boris the Spider wrote:

We might travel by air (USA, domestic) in July with our baby who will be
about 7 months old then. Do they ask for some form of picture ID for
infants? The only ID we have for her is her birth certificate, nothing
with her picture on it - although the birth certificate has our
(parents') names and we, of course, have proper ID - can anyone advise?

Your airline's web site probably has this information, but a birth
certificate for the child (or even a passport) should be enough.
Definitely confirm with your airline though.
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Traveller

"Traveller" wrote in message
"Boris the Spider" wrote in message
We might travel by air (USA, domestic) in July with our baby who will be
about 7 months old then. Do they ask for some form of picture ID for
infants? The only ID we have for her is her birth certificate, nothing
with her picture on it - although the birth certificate has our
(parents') names and we, of course, have proper ID - can anyone advise?

A quick check of the major's reveals that CO, AA, DL all state that
passengers under 18 travelling with their parents don't need any ID.
Couldn't find the info easily on UA. It seems to be federal, as opposed to
airline, regulations so I guess it's the same for all carriers - but do
check your airline.