AA ends food service on ALL domestic flights (incl. Hawaii)

Old December 30th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Service Tech

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
rk wrote:

If AA can hook up with someone who can make desirable food for a decent

price, and sell that, everyone wins.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Maybe Dominos Pizza can come up with a new delivery system. Hang the Pizzas
from a weather balloon, & the plane can snag them as they fly by.

Old December 30th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Miguel Cruz

*bicker* wrote:
(Miguel Cruz) escribió:
The economics are obviously different in some ways, but in these parts,
low-cost carrier AirAsia provides edible food for a premium of maybe 30%
over what the same food would cost at an upscale mall food court

How much money does AA lose by not offering food on-board? How much money
does AA save? What else can AA do with the capital it would have to
expend to operate complementary food service on board?

I didn't say anything about complimentary.

Now answer these questions for AirAsia. The answers will be different,
because every company has different people, with different skills,
different systems with different efficiencies, etc.

My suggestion was to identify a good vendor and outsource it. I don't
imagine that Tony Fernandes is sitting in the AirAsia corporate kitchen
humming the theme to Naked Chef and stewing up a giant vat of Tom Yam. They
found someone who could sell them food that people would want to eat, and
priced it to cover their costs and then some (costs being primarily ground
handling, I guess, since the flight attendants are on the plane anyway).

It seems quite obvious. At the end of the day all I'm really saying is that
the airlines that have started selling food in the US are selling remarkably
****ty food. A little closer to home, I'd gladly pay for the snacks that
JetBlue gives away for free, if AA chose to sell those instead of their
current crap. There's a reasonable range of choice, and they're
non-perishable, so that diversity is easy to manage. Sounds like a winner to
me. Not particularly nutritious but neither is greasy salami swimming in
mayo on white bread.

miguel
Old December 30th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Service Tech

"Pizen" wrote in message
I think sometimes we eat on an airplane because of boredom or because of

conditioning.

I think "Boredom" is right on the nose. I take a medium bag of Chex-Mix
with me, and eat them one at a time slowly. A glass of soda, and a
magazine, and the flight is over in no time.

Old December 30th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Martin WY

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:38:31 -0000, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

The snack boxes will replace current main cabin food service on about
120 other transcontinental and 40 Hawaii flights, which the airline
said would help it save about $30 million a year.

The airline said it would continue to offer complimentary food for
first-class passengers.

American had tested food on-board flights for main-cabin passengers
since September.

American said Friday it would sell a "morning snack box" containing a
muffin bar, dried cranberries, bagel chips, cream cheese spread and a
mint from 6 a.m. to 9:59 a.m.

From 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., the snack boxes will include crackers,
sliced salami, cheddar cheese, fruit mix and Oreo cookies, the airline
said.

I trust that they will provide Halah, Kosher, Vegan and organic versions of
the above.

AMERICAN AIRLINES is revamping its in-flight catering offerings and is
expected to roll out the new arrangements on 1 February. At that time
the airline will begin selling food on many flights that currently
have only beverage service. According to the airline, 660 of its
1,900 domestic flights will have the food-purchase option – about 300
more than currently offer food service. In addition to ending
complimentary meals in coach, American said it would stop offering
special dietary request meals, such as kosher or low-sodium meals
during domestic flights. Three dollar snack boxes will be sold on
more than 500 daily non-transcontinental flights of three hours or
more, cash only (for the time being). First class passengers will
still receive complimentary meals. American – the nation's largest
airline – said the new food service is a direct result of tests
conducted in September. Survey results from customers and feedback
from employees supported the idea of selling food in-flight and,
ultimately, helped design the new programme.

Old December 30th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Jeff Hacker

wrote:

The snack boxes will replace current main cabin food service on about
120 other transcontinental and 40 Hawaii flights, which the airline
said would help it save about $30 million a year.

The airline said it would continue to offer complimentary food for
first-class passengers.

American had tested food on-board flights for main-cabin passengers
since September.

American said Friday it would sell a "morning snack box" containing a
muffin bar, dried cranberries, bagel chips, cream cheese spread and a
mint from 6 a.m. to 9:59 a.m.

From 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., the snack boxes will include crackers,
[...]

This is an old press release. The latest info is as above - no more meals
in domestic coach, including Hawaii flights, as of 2/1/05. And only the
snack boxes as an alternative.

Old December 30th, 2004, 10:17 PM
nobody

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
nice to have a snack. I'd rather bring my own for about $2 if it means
saving $20 on my ticket.

Well, that is the point. A real hot meal of quality higher than what US
airline have been serving costs between $8 and $12.

The hot meal itself costs about $2 (check out your supermarket's frozen
dinners section). The rest is desert, salad, handling, and the washing of
utensils/dishes etc.

The airline still needs the logistics of catering the plane with peanuts and
soft drinks.

At most, I reckon the airline may save $5.00 per ticket by not serving a meal.
(Especially since AA wasn't serving real meals).

What AA should really be doing is allowing coach pax to pre-purchase first
class meals. Charge $15 for meal only (no free wine, no champagne, no hors
d'oeuvres or any other first class perk, just the meal).

On-board, they can sell chocolate bars, chips, yoghurt.

I find it funny that they would try to sell surprise bags, probably to
increase FA efficiency, yet they'll want the FAs to collect money.

AA should equip its FAs with wireless credit card machines so they could
efficienctly sell goods on board.
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:19 PM
JohnT

"nobody" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't the wireless credit card machines emit radio waves which would
interfere with the aircrafts' navigational systems and cause them all to
crash?

JohnT

Old December 31st, 2004, 01:51 AM
Jeff Hacker

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
rk wrote:
nobody wrote:
Now if they want to start selling meals on board, they should start to
sell real meals that are worth paying for.

Why? They aren't in the food business, they are in the transportation
business.

Ford is in the transportation business but they make money on selling
climate control and audio entertainment systems.

If AA can hook up with someone who can make desirable food for a decent
price, and sell that, everyone wins.

If they're going to sell me a bag of mayonnaise-soaked white bread and
greasy chips for $5, that just means someone in the airport gets my
business
instead. It's extra hassle for me and lost revenue for AA.

Years ago, the airlines had three classes of service between Hawaii and hte
West Coast - The basic economy class had no meals; the middle class was also
economy, but with meal service at a nominal charge built in. The two
sections were partitioned by a card stuck in the ceiling - behind the card
people got meals; in front, they didn't (the middle of the 707/DC8 cabins.
Within one year, the section with meals was outselling the one without to
the point that the one without was eliminated. The cost was $15 extra. In
today's market, they could probably justify that or even $20.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu