Carry-on and secondary screening

Old January 5th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:03:19 +0100 "tim"
wrote:

:I carry boarding pass, ticket and passport visably sticking out
:of my shirt breast pocket . On 9 out of 10 occasions I am
:*instructed* to remove them and told to put them in the little
:trays with my coins etc that go through the machine.

As the rules^W recommendations to remove shoes are growing wildly (MIA and
MDW, though MDW was gonna due a full secondary anyway since I had a one way
ticket) I have gone thru secondary security several times despite no-beeps.

I refuse to walk in an uncontrolled area without shoes. I tried once with
beach shoes, but the TSA in EWR even objected to those. So I go to secondary
security (no beeps in the metal detector), remove my shoes at a chair, the TSA
takes them and runs them thru and then returns them to me. They then wand me
and pat me. No big deal. I always complain to the supervisor but it really
doesn't help.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old January 6th, 2005, 01:56 AM
JimL

tim wrote:

I carry boarding pass, ticket and passport visably sticking out
of my shirt breast pocket . On 9 out of 10 occasions I am
*instructed* to remove them and told to put them in the little
trays with my coins etc that go through the machine.

tim

Really? Interesting. Out of six trips in the last two months, one
time I forgot to have my boarding pass in my hand or pocket. I left it
in the carry-on bag. The TSA droid was upset, and made me go back and
get my boarding pass, or otherwise I didn't have "permission" to go
through the checkpoint. Same thing with photo ID. And I still
certainly won't let wallet or passport out of my possession. there is
no metal on any of them.

You say they want all paper items in the trays? How about
handkerchiefs? Eyeglasses? Tampax?
9 out of 10? I doubt your statistics.

Old January 6th, 2005, 07:39 PM
tim

"JimL" wrote in message
oups.com...

tim wrote:

I carry boarding pass, ticket and passport visably sticking out
of my shirt breast pocket . On 9 out of 10 occasions I am
*instructed* to remove them and told to put them in the little
trays with my coins etc that go through the machine.

tim

Really? Interesting. Out of six trips in the last two months, one
time I forgot to have my boarding pass in my hand or pocket. I left it
in the carry-on bag.

The airports I use have a man (or two) checking BCs who then feeds
you into an Xray queue. You're expected to pack away the BC
somewhere before going through the machine.

The TSA droid was upset, and made me go back and
get my boarding pass, or otherwise I didn't have "permission" to go
through the checkpoint. Same thing with photo ID.

Airport staff do not check ID for most intra european flights anymore.
This is done by the airline (if they want to be bothered). If the flight
does require a passport check, this is separate from the BC/Xray, at
an air-side desk. You sometimes have to go through a machine again
here - I guess that this is in case you have gained something from an
incoming pax off a flight from somewhere that doesn't check too
well (Athens!) - it would be better if they segregated OG and IC
pax, but they don't.

And I still
certainly won't let wallet or passport out of my possession. there is
no metal on any of them.

They expect you to place everything reasonably portable in the tray
(or HL). European wallets often have little coin pouches, I use mine
for those stupid 1 and 2 cent coins that somebody decided that we
need. (He must have been a German, this seems to be the only race
who think them worth using!)

You say they want all paper items in the trays?

No, the things that were sticking out of my pocket.

How about handkerchiefs? Eyeglasses?

I put my glasses in HL, they set off the machine and I get a pat
down (I am ticklish and I hate it!).

Tampax?
9 out of 10? I doubt your statistics.

OK, I exagerated a bit. 6 out of 10.

tim

Old January 7th, 2005, 02:50 AM
ant

"tim" wrote in message
-
European wallets often have little coin pouches, I use mine
for those stupid 1 and 2 cent coins that somebody decided that we
need. (He must have been a German, this seems to be the only race
who think them worth using!)

They have them in America too, and very annoying they are.

ant

Old January 7th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Dennis G. Rears

"ant" wrote in message

"tim" wrote in message
-
European wallets often have little coin pouches, I use mine
for those stupid 1 and 2 cent coins that somebody decided that we
need. (He must have been a German, this seems to be the only race
who think them worth using!)

They have them in America too, and very annoying they are.

The USA hasn't minted 2 cent coins since 1872. I have one but I paid a
few dollars for it.

dennis