Looks like SWA is changing boarding procedures (in November)

Old September 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Duh_OZ

Default Looks like SWA is changing boarding procedures (in November)

I usually get an aisle seat, so as long as I have an A boarding(or not
the last in the B line) pass it makes no difference. And yep, I
stand in line. If I'm going to be sitting on my arse for a 3+ hour
flight, why would I want to sit down at the airport for another hour?

From the read, it sounds like they'll board in small groups depending

on when you check in, either on-line or at the airport.

Direct link:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....466&highlight=

snip:
========
Beginning in early November, Customers will be assigned a letter and
a number on their Southwest boarding pass when they check in for a
flight (for example: A32). This unique combination represents the
Customers' reserved spot in their boarding group-boarding positions
are separated into groups of five. When a Customer's boarding group is
called, they simply find their designated place in line to board the
aircraft. The A group will queue first in two lines: A1-30 on one side
of marked columns and A31-60 on the other side, followed by two groups
of B, and then the remaining Cs. Click here to a view video of the new
process: (http://www.swamedia.com/swamedia/media_home.html ). Visit
the following link to view Southwest CEO Gary Kelly's blog post:
(http://www.blogsouthwest.com/ ).

Old September 19th, 2007, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

On Sep 19, 1:40 pm, Duh_OZ wrote:
[snip]
Beginning in early November, Customers will be assigned a letter and
a number on their Southwest boarding pass when they check in for a
flight (for example: A32). This unique combination represents the
Customers' reserved spot in their boarding group-boarding positions

[snip]

'Kay. If they can assign you a letter and a number, say like
A32,
why can't they assign you a number and a letter, say like 32A. I
seem to remember that this will specify a particular seat on the
aircraft.
Not sure exactly where I've heard of this before, but I'm sure someone
has been able to figure out how to do it.

Old September 19th, 2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected][_2_]

The best part of this is getting rid of early boarding. It seems like
half the plane is claiming the need to board first these days.

Old September 19th, 2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old September 20th, 2007, 01:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

wrote:
The best part of this is getting rid of early boarding. It seems like
half the plane is claiming the need to board first these days.

I doubt they're doing that. By law, they have to allow that.
ADA, Air Carrier Access Act, etc. etc.

I think the law states 'reasonable accomodation', not that a particular
disability must be afforded priority boarding, but that's a side issue.

Further reading revealed that SWA is just moving "family boarding" behind the A
group. Blue sleeve boarders (ie disabilities) will still go first. Still a good
improvement though - gets rid of the extended family boarding groups.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Randy Hudson

In article .com,
me wrote:

'Kay. If they can assign you a letter and a number, say like A32, why
can't they assign you a number and a letter, say like 32A. I seem to
remember that this will specify a particular seat on the aircraft.

Because the passengers holding such a pass would no longer have the sense of
urgency when boarding that currently gives Southwest its industry-low
turn-around times.

The current system motivates passengers to check in early, to hurry onto the
plane, and to promptly sit down -- clearing the aisle for those still
boarding.

Any changes which dispelled that urgency would increase their gate time and
cost them money.

--
Randy Hudson
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Bucky

On Sep 19, 12:04 pm, me wrote:
'Kay. If they can assign you a letter and a number, say like
A32,
why can't they assign you a number and a letter, say like 32A.

They could, but they choose not to. Trials have shown that allowing
passengers to pick their seats results in faster boarding times than
assigned seating.

Old September 20th, 2007, 08:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mtravel

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

I doubt they're doing that. By law, they have to allow that.
ADA, Air Carrier Access Act, etc. etc.

Can you cite the part of the ADA that require airlines pre-board anyone?
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

On Sep 19, 10:24 pm, (Randy Hudson) wrote:
In article .com,
me wrote:

'Kay. If they can assign you a letter and a number, say like A32, why
can't they assign you a number and a letter, say like 32A. I seem to
remember that this will specify a particular seat on the aircraft.

Because the passengers holding such a pass would no longer have the sense of
urgency when boarding that currently gives Southwest its industry-low
turn-around times.

The current system motivates passengers to check in early, to hurry onto the
plane, and to promptly sit down -- clearing the aisle for those still
boarding.

Any changes which dispelled that urgency would increase their gate time and
cost them money.

Doesn't appear to be so however.

The changes end Southwest's tradition of rewarding patient passengers
who are willing to stand. Now, those passengers can still step to the
front of the line by checking in on the Internet 24 hours before their
scheduled departure.

[snip]
Business travelers don't want to get to the airport early only to have
a family of six with small children be allowed to board before them,
Parsons said. They also don't want to feel like they're being
penalized by having to squeeze into a middle seat because they got
hung up in traffic on the way to the airport.

The boarding pass with the number means no mad rush to queue up.

"I'm not a fan of the cattle call," said Rudy Maxa, a contributing
editor with National Geographic Traveler magazine. "I'm a frequent
flier and I like getting preferential treatment.

Old September 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

On Sep 20, 3:11 am, Bucky wrote:
On Sep 19, 12:04 pm, me wrote:

'Kay. If they can assign you a letter and a number, say like
A32,
why can't they assign you a number and a letter, say like 32A.

They could, but they choose not to. Trials have shown that allowing
passengers to pick their seats results in faster boarding times than
assigned seating.

Actually, in reading the press report, it appears they're keeping
the
"festival seating" because of passenger demand. Although they
could just be claiming to do so even though they really believe it
just saves them money.