Vancouver to Boston - What is the best connecting city?

Old October 10th, 2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Pokee

Default Vancouver to Boston - What is the best connecting city?

I want to book a flight from YVR to BOS using points on Air Canada -
there seems to be three connecting cities with Air Canada (Toronto,
Ottawa and Montreal). Toronto has the most flights to Boston (just in
case our flight from Vancouver is delayed and they need to put us on
another), BUT that airport is AWFUL for making connections (mostly
because you need to change terminals, as far as I can remember, and
they are FAR apart!).

The thing that irritates me the most about a Canadian connection to a
US city is that I cannot clear customs at Vancouver (I must do this at
the connecting airport - which is soooo stressful, because at times,
it's hard just to make your flight - let alone collect your bags, run
to the other terminal, go through customs and then catch your flight).

There are some Star Alliance Partner flights that connect through
Chicago and other US cities. I am thinking that may be a better
choice.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Old October 10th, 2007, 03:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air
rieker

Any advice?

Thanks!

Cross the border to Bellingham, Washington...fly Delta...one stop to Boston
thru Salt Lake City. $395.00 rt.

Old October 10th, 2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Any advice?

Use your aeroplan points and book a ticket on United or US Airways.
You'll then be able to clear customs in Vancouver - Clearing in
Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal will be a hassle.

That being said, unless your trip is 10 months from now, you may find
the limited availability determines your route.

Old October 10th, 2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Cross the border to Bellingham, Washington...fly Delta...one stop to Boston
thru Salt Lake City. $395.00 rt.

I like BLI but be advised right now the border queues are horrendous.

Old October 11th, 2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected][_1_]

On Oct 9, 8:06 pm, "rieker" wrote:
Any advice?

Thanks!

Cross the border to Bellingham, Washington...fly Delta...one stop to Boston
thru Salt Lake City. $395.00 rt.

Sounds like a good price, but not as good, as the free ticket he is
trying to get with FF points on AC, UA, or US.

Michael

Old October 11th, 2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.travel.air
rieker

Sounds like a good price, but not as good, as the free ticket he is
trying to get with FF points on AC, UA, or US.

If that's the case....UA flies YVR-BOS one stop thru SFO.

Old October 11th, 2007, 09:34 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Stephen Farrow

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

Pokee wrote:

[...]

Chicago may let you clear customs & immigration in Vancouver. Check
with the airline.

If you fly to *any* US city from Vancouver you'll clear US customs and
immigration in Vancouver. It's not a question of Chicago (or any other
city) "letting" you do it.

--

Stephen

Petula: I said that to George, because he's invited me over.
Jean: Gershwin?
Petula: Michael. Could you credit that business in that public
toilet? I can't believe a policeman would stoop so low.
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Stephen Farrow

Pokee wrote:
[...]

Personally I'd fly via the USA, for just the reason you describe - it'll
be easier not to have to deal with collecting bags and going through US
customs and immigration at a connecting airport.

--

Stephen

That is enigmatic. That - that is - that is textbook enigmatic.
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John L

Toronto has the most flights to Boston (just in case our flight from
Vancouver is delayed and they need to put us on another), BUT that
airport is AWFUL for making connections (mostly because you need to
change terminals, as far as I can remember, and they are FAR apart!).

Not any more. AC has consolidated all of their operations into T1. See
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...yyz_ca_us.html

I would be more concerned about what's actually available,
particularly if you want a classic or star alliance 25K mile award.
Looking at the Aeroplan web site, there are some *A awards I see with
connections in the US so you'd pre-clear in Vancouver, but they're all
red eyes. Ugh. I'd change in Toronto, leaving enough time to clear
immigration there.