USA car rental: insurance 'extras'.

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:59 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Default USA car rental: insurance 'extras'.

On my last USA trip in Feb 2010 I hired a car for a week from
Enterprise in Encinitas, California. At the last minute as I was being
handed the keys I was asked if I was covered for various extra insurance
provisions. One was collision damage waiver, or something along those
lines, and the other I forget. But the bottom line was that, because I
wasn't 100% sure, I'm sure I ended up paying excessively for redundant
insurance.

With another USA holiday planned, I'm going to call my own UK insurance
company (Saga) to see exactly what I am and am not covered for in this
context. But meanwhile I'm hoping someone here can sum up the basics for
me please. The key question is: am I likely to be ALREADY covered for
these things on a reasonably comprehensive UK car insurance policy?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maurice ON4BAM

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 07:59:53 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

On my last USA trip in Feb 2010 I hired a car for a week from
Enterprise in Encinitas, California. At the last minute as I was being
handed the keys I was asked if I was covered for various extra insurance
provisions. One was collision damage waiver, or something along those
lines, and the other I forget. But the bottom line was that, because I
wasn't 100% sure, I'm sure I ended up paying excessively for redundant
insurance.

With another USA holiday planned, I'm going to call my own UK insurance
company (Saga) to see exactly what I am and am not covered for in this
context. But meanwhile I'm hoping someone here can sum up the basics for
me please. The key question is: am I likely to be ALREADY covered for
these things on a reasonably comprehensive UK car insurance policy?

Ask your insurrance, they know what's covered and what's not. Belgian
car insurrance is for the car not the driver so it doesn't cover
rentals, However, CDW is covered by our creditcard (mastercard
platinum), so since we have that card we decline all extra's that are
being "offered" bij rental co's. Extra insurrance by a rental co costs
more than renting a small car :-( They see it as easy money. Check
your rental car for damage before leaving the rental co's parking lot
and report any damage that's not on the reportcard for the car. Have
them sign the paperwork that the car is undamaged when you return the
car and take photo's if possible. 99% chance there will be no problems
but if there are you'll beter be prepared as they can and will charge
your CC.

As always, READ your contract.

Bye Maurice
--
Hamradio: ON4BAM http://www.on4bam.com/
Travelogues and Amateur radio
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim....

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
On my last USA trip in Feb 2010 I hired a car for a week from
Enterprise in Encinitas, California. At the last minute as I was being
handed the keys I was asked if I was covered for various extra insurance
provisions. One was collision damage waiver, or something along those
lines, and the other I forget. But the bottom line was that, because I
wasn't 100% sure, I'm sure I ended up paying excessively for redundant
insurance.
es before you go, but
With another USA holiday planned, I'm going to call my own UK insurance
company (Saga) to see exactly what I am and am not covered for in this
context. But meanwhile I'm hoping someone here can sum up the basics for
me please. The key question is: am I likely to be ALREADY covered for
these things on a reasonably comprehensive UK car insurance policy?

almost certainly not

you can get cheaper CDW from UK providers before you go, but it won't come
as standard on your "own car" policy

Old July 15th, 2012, 12:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
Terry Pinnell wrote:

On my last USA trip in Feb 2010 I hired a car for a week from
Enterprise in Encinitas, California. At the last minute as I was being
handed the keys I was asked if I was covered for various extra insurance
provisions. One was collision damage waiver, or something along those
lines, and the other I forget. But the bottom line was that, because I
wasn't 100% sure, I'm sure I ended up paying excessively for redundant
insurance.

With another USA holiday planned, I'm going to call my own UK insurance
company (Saga) to see exactly what I am and am not covered for in this
context. But meanwhile I'm hoping someone here can sum up the basics for
me please. The key question is: am I likely to be ALREADY covered for
these things on a reasonably comprehensive UK car insurance policy?

Only your auto insurance company can tell you what you are covered for
or not. Read your policy.
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

"tim...." wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks, that's what I ended up doing yesterday.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Saga do not cover CDW so I've taken out a policy with Questor.
Difficult to get a straightforward quote for these extras in advance from
Avis, but I'm sure they would be higher.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK