elderly mom on Southwest

Old July 10th, 2008, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
milodanger

Default elderly mom on Southwest

Hi I am new to this group.
My mother is flying from IL to AZ the first week in August, via Southwest
Airlines.
Have there been any new developments we should be prepared for? Has SW
began imposing luggage fees or on board beverage fees?
She is getting up there in age and hasn't traveled in a while, (nor have
I). I know there have been many changes in travel lately and it looks like
this is a very informed group of travelers!
Any suggestions, recommendations, or 'heads up' are appreciated.

__________________________________________________ ______________________*

Old July 10th, 2008, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rudy[_1_]

Get to the airport early...SWA seats are on a first come, first served basis

Old July 10th, 2008, 09:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AES

In article ,
"milodanger" wrote:

Hi I am new to this group.
My mother is flying from IL to AZ the first week in August, via Southwest
Airlines.
Have there been any new developments we should be prepared for? Has SW
began imposing luggage fees or on board beverage fees?
She is getting up there in age and hasn't traveled in a while, (nor have
I). I know there have been many changes in travel lately and it looks like
this is a very informed group of travelers!
Any suggestions, recommendations, or 'heads up' are appreciated.

1) Southwest has their special system of A, B, and C boarding lines and
boarding cards -- A cards get boarded first, B second, C last. You get
an A card by checking in early, or by checking in online the previous
day. Even with an A card this can be a bit intimidating; the lines at a
crowded gate can tend to jam into each other.

But I've also seen some of their flights have a special pre-boarding for
children, disabled passengers, etc. Frankly, if she's a bit frail or
uncertain about things, even with an A card I might advise her, or you
or her, to go up to the counter as soon as you reach the gate area; look
even more "up there in age" than she usually does; and ask if there's a
chance she can pre-board.

2) If you (or someone) would like to go the gate with her, you'll also
have to ask the airport in advance how to do this. Only passengers with
boarding cards are normally allowed through security to the gate area.

3) And if she may want to or need to use the toilets during the flight,
choose an aisle seat, even with early boarding.
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article Futdk.62084$kx.60364@pd7urf3no,
Rudy wrote:

Get to the airport early...SWA seats are on a first come, first served basis

No. It's first-to-check-in, first-served. Check in online, and you
don't have to waste your time coming to the airport early.

Old July 11th, 2008, 12:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"milodanger" wrote:

Hi I am new to this group.
My mother is flying from IL to AZ the first week in August, via Southwest
Airlines.
Have there been any new developments we should be prepared for? Has SW
began imposing luggage fees or on board beverage fees?

I don't think so, but feel free to call Southwest or check their web
site for an authoritative answer to your question.

She is getting up there in age and hasn't traveled in a while, (nor have
I). I know there have been many changes in travel lately and it looks like
this is a very informed group of travelers!
Any suggestions, recommendations, or 'heads up' are appreciated.

Enjoy your trip and have fun!
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Neville

"Rudy" wrote:

Get to the airport early...SWA seats are on a first come, first served basis

Haven't flown SWA recently, have you? SWA now boards based on the order you
check in, with a positions in line reserved for those with SW status. While the
seats are still not reserved, your position in line lets you select the best
available seat at the time you board the aircraft.
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:41:49 -0700, "milodanger"
wrote:

Hi I am new to this group.
My mother is flying from IL to AZ the first week in August, via Southwest
Airlines.
Have there been any new developments we should be prepared for? Has SW
began imposing luggage fees or on board beverage fees?
She is getting up there in age

How old is she? "Getting up in age" means different things to
different people. I've seen 55 described as elderly in the newspaper.

Does she have medical problems?

Southwest is running ads now saying they are the airline that doesn't
impose all these extra fees although they do now charge for a third
bag.

and hasn't traveled in a while, (nor have
I). I know there have been many changes in travel lately and it looks like
this is a very informed group of travelers!
Any suggestions, recommendations, or 'heads up' are appreciated.

Check in online as soon as you can before the flight. Look at
Southwest's website for information about it.
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Neville

AES wrote:

1) Southwest has their special system of A, B, and C boarding lines and
boarding cards -- A cards get boarded first, B second, C last. You get
an A card by checking in early, or by checking in online the previous
day. Even with an A card this can be a bit intimidating; the lines at a
crowded gate can tend to jam into each other.

Southwest has not used boarding cards in years. They do use boarding groups, but
those are almost immaterial as you are assigned a place in line when you check
in. There are no "jammed, crowded gates" as there is no reason to stand until
just before the plane boards.

But I've also seen some of their flights have a special pre-boarding for
children, disabled passengers, etc. Frankly, if she's a bit frail or
uncertain about things, even with an A card I might advise her, or you
or her, to go up to the counter as soon as you reach the gate area; look
even more "up there in age" than she usually does; and ask if there's a
chance she can pre-board.

While family boarding is now after the first 60 passenger group, SW does offer
assisted "blue card" preboarding under certain circumstances. This can be
arranged for ahead of time.