Effect of very long flights

Old April 1st, 2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Effect of very long flights

Greetings! Now a days there are very long flights lasting more than
twelve hours. One can go directly from Dallas to Tokyo or Chicago to
Delhi. I am a senior citizen. I am wondering the effect of such a
long distance flight on senior citizens like me. Has any member has
taken such a long flight? Please write about your experience with such
long flights. With thanks.

Old April 1st, 2007, 03:04 AM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

On 31 Mar 2007 16:05:51 -0700, "
wrote:

Greetings! Now a days there are very long flights lasting more than
twelve hours. One can go directly from Dallas to Tokyo or Chicago to
Delhi. I am a senior citizen. I am wondering the effect of such a
long distance flight on senior citizens like me. Has any member has
taken such a long flight? Please write about your experience with such
long flights. With thanks.

Aches and pains, crankiness, all the normal symptoms of old age.
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

(PeteCresswell) writes:

Senior or otherwise, blood clots from lack of motion seem tb a significant
consideration from what I've read so far.

DVT can occur anywhere, whenever one stays in the same place for a long time.
Air travel doesn't make one especially prone to DVT. Getting up and moving
around periodically (even for just a minute or two) helps. DVT is rare in
people who are in good health, irrespective of age.

And I'll be they're under-reported, since the bad stuff happens sometime *after*
the flight.

I think in recent years the danger of DVT on aircraft has been greatly
exaggerated.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

On Apr 1, 6:05 am, "
wrote:
Greetings! Now a days there are very long flights lasting more than
twelve hours. One can go directly from Dallas to Tokyo or Chicago to
Delhi. I am a senior citizen. I am wondering the effect of such a
long distance flight on senior citizens like me. Has any member has
taken such a long flight? Please write about your experience with such
long flights. With thanks.

I fly 12+ hour flights several times a year. Direct flights with
layovers often as long as 24 hours (including layover time).

Other than being tired, no adverse affects.

A lot will depend on your class of service and choice of airlines.
Coach for 12 hours in a second tier (or even low quality first tier
like Continental) can be a dreadful experience. Business or First
Class on a top airline like Singapore or Cathay is actually enjoyable.

You pay your money and you make your choices and you live with the
results.

Old April 4th, 2007, 05:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air
qansett

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
(PeteCresswell) writes:

Senior or otherwise, blood clots from lack of motion seem tb a
significant
consideration from what I've read so far.

DVT can occur anywhere, whenever one stays in the same place for a long
time.
Air travel doesn't make one especially prone to DVT. Getting up and
moving
around periodically (even for just a minute or two) helps. DVT is rare in
people who are in good health, irrespective of age.

And I'll be they're under-reported, since the bad stuff happens sometime
*after*
the flight.

I think in recent years the danger of DVT on aircraft has been greatly
exaggerated.

I think so to, particularly when back in the 1970's a flight between LHR
and SYD
was 36 hrs. DVT was never spoken about. It never affected me either.

Old April 4th, 2007, 06:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rupa Bose www.rupabose.org

On Mar 31, 4:05 pm, "
wrote:
Greetings! Now a days there are very long flights lasting more than
twelve hours. One can go directly from Dallas to Tokyo or Chicago to
Delhi. I am a senior citizen. I am wondering the effect of such a
long distance flight on senior citizens like me. Has any member has
taken such a long flight? Please write about your experience with such
long flights. With thanks.

I've taken quite a few long flights recently. I actually find it
quite pleasant to break journey (any place other than LHR) rather
than flying all the way, but frankly I don't know if there's that much
difference between a 10 hour flight and a 14 hour one. Getting a
decent seat becomes much more important, of course.

The medical risks are as the others have posted. I sleep reasonably
well on planes, and I read a lot, so I am usually OK. I try to get up
every few hours, unless the person next to me is asleep, when I
hesitate to disturb.

A couple of occasions I've felt a that the cabin air was very stale.

Old April 4th, 2007, 08:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Rupa Bose www.rupabose.org writes:

A couple of occasions I've felt a that the cabin air was very stale.

Cabin air is actually quite fresh in modern aircraft. There is some
recirculation, but also a considerable amount of outside air introduced into
the cabin, and the air at altitude is very clean. The recirculated air is
very heavily filtered to remove just about everything it might contain.
However, the air can be very dry (some aircraft allow the crew to control
humidity to some extent).