Question for Central American travelers...

Old December 8th, 2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Howard

Default Question for Central American travelers...

"Harry" wrote in message
Wheat flour.

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message
Are these made of wheat flour or maza harina (maize)?
I'm getting the impression that maize is not the most popular food grain
south of Mexico.

"Harry" wrote in message

wrote in message
In article ,

(Harry) wrote:

!

Empanadas vary a lot, too. I had some Colombian ones the other day

that
were quite different from those in Argentina - much yellower and
thicker
crust, due to a different kind of flour, I guess. And IIRC the

Bolivian
ones were quite sweet.

Argentine empanadas are my favorite. Chileans are not too bad, either.

Has anyone ever seen a burrito south of El Paso? I think they're a
Tex-Mex thing.Yes or No............?

Old December 8th, 2006, 06:11 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Wayne Lundberg

Burritos are typical north of the border fare. But what with the advent of
the brazero program some sixty years ago and the neverending migration in
and out by Mexicans, the burrito is becoming popular even throughout Mexico.

Not long ago it was near impossible to buy a flour tortilla south of
Torreon. Now they are in every supermarket in the republic. Same with sliced
bread.

"Howard" wrote in message
. ..

"Harry" wrote in message
Wheat flour.

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message
Are these made of wheat flour or maza harina (maize)?
I'm getting the impression that maize is not the most popular food

grain
south of Mexico.

"Harry" wrote in message

wrote in message
In article ,

!

Old December 9th, 2006, 02:52 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
David Eduardo

"Howard" wrote in message
. ..

Has anyone ever seen a burrito south of El Paso? I think they're a
Tex-Mex thing.Yes or No............?

They are from Texas, and an adaptation of the gordita from Mexico. Just like
Chili con Carne, it is American.

Old December 9th, 2006, 02:54 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
David Eduardo

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message
Burritos are typical north of the border fare. But what with the advent of
the brazero program some sixty years ago and the neverending migration in
and out by Mexicans, the burrito is becoming popular even throughout
Mexico.

Not long ago it was near impossible to buy a flour tortilla south of
Torreon. Now they are in every supermarket in the republic. Same with
sliced
bread.

We had sliced bread in Mexico City in the 60's (it just tasted bad, just as
it does today. yech)... Bimbo was a national brand in the early 70's.

Old December 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Ron T

In article ,
"Mike Hanlon" wrote:

"Honduras 2" -- them's fightin' words!

One of my fondest memory of my Peace Corps stint was buying a stack of
tortillas every morning from my neighbor in Danli, Honduras. Just a few
pennies, and they were still warm!

Small world Mike.

My family is from Danli, wife grew up there and as did her entire family.

Fresh tortillas (or as the street venders put it
-tORRRRR-Teaaaa-yAAAAAaaa) and bioled/grilll fresh corn was fantastic.
It helped take the edge off the Yuscaren Aquadente' from the night
before.

When were you there?
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:15 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Sancho Panza[_1_]

"Harry" wrote in message

El Salvador has pupusas, but I don't know how they are made or if they are
a version of torillas. Last time I had one was in 1978.

Pupusas are two tortillas with chicharron (mashed pork and spices) in
between. The fillings also include frijoles and queso, and there are
mezclado combinations. Authentic service will include a relish of spicy
pickled cabbage and a couple of other things. Diners open up the pupusa and
put it directly on the filling or eat it on the side. Pupuserias, thanks to
mass migration, are cropping up in many major cities in the U.S.

Old December 11th, 2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Robert Broughton

Wayne Lundberg wrote:

Burritos are typical north of the border fare. But what with the advent of
the brazero program some sixty years ago and the neverending migration in
and out by Mexicans, the burrito is becoming popular even throughout
Mexico.

Have they started opening up Taco del Mar's in Mexico? And PLEASE don't tell
me that there are any Taco Bells in Mexico.

--
Bob Broughton
http://broughton.ca/
- Chuck Wright, May 22, 2006
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:06 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected]

Wayne

I just returned from 11 days in Guatemala, and the corn tortilla is
served everywhere I went in the country along with meat, beans, rice
and plantains.

Bill

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
I have been told that the Mexican tortilla, and many of the very popular
Mexican dishes are not found south of the Mexican border. Places like
Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua... down through Panama... into So. America.

What are the favorite dishes from those places? I can't imagine a Maya
without maize tortillas... so what do they eat?

Thanks!