Daintree RainForest (accommodation, tour ) and Reef

Old July 8th, 2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
max11

Default Daintree RainForest (accommodation, tour ) and Reef

Hi!
I need some suggestion!(excuse for my English!)
I travel alone and I'd like to visit Daintree Rainforest in the last
days of August.

1-Probably I will stay in Kuranda (or Cairns), but I'd like to spend
one or two night in Daintree forest.
I read many posts about this.
Could anyone recommend me an accomodation?
e.g. I noticed http://www.daintreecoast.com/accomlocation.htm#ct or
http://www.tripadvisor.it/Hotels-g49...nd-Hotels.html
Are the cheaper options a good choice? Or, because of I'll go there
only one time in my life, I could spend more if it's worth while.

2- I noticed there are many one day tours departing from Cairns or
Port Douglas.
Could anyone recommend me one of these?
But if I am yet in Cape tribulation, how can I visit the forest, make
a cruise on Daintree, tully river, etc. ?

3-I'd like to visit the reef. Where can I do a good diving? From where
could I have a cruise to some Island? from Cairns (I read well about
Fitzroy Island) or from Cape tribulation (e.g.
http://www.rainforesthideaway.com/sc...rier-reef.htm?

Thank you

Old July 8th, 2007, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:01:30 -0700, max11
wrote:

[...]

Just on a couple of points; unfortunately, I'm not a diver.

If you are able to consider driving a car while in
Australia, I would recommend renting one for your stay,
picking up and returning it to Cairns Airport. You should be
able to get a small car for AU$40-50 per day plus insurance.
If not, for tours, reef cruises and day trips, there are
many to choose from. It may be best to wait until you arrive
to book so that you can get detailed information on them.
There are information/booking agencies all over the place in
downtown Cairns. Most depart from Cairns, some from Port
Douglas, I'm not sure about Cape Tribulation. River cruises
on the Daintree depart from both the Daintree Village and
downriver near the Ferry crossing. We travelled by bus in
Cairns and car after that.

If you decide to go on the Kuranda Rail and Skyrail (and you
should, that is a full day-trip) - book it at the Railway
Station in Cairns, not thru an agency, unless you really
need a hotel pick-up. They can also give immediate
confirmation of availability and seat allocation.

I can't comment on the Daintree accommodation, except to say
that it costs twice the price of Port Douglas or Cairns. If
you were choosing just one locality to make day trips from,
I would choose Port Douglas; all the facilities of a town
but more laid back than Cairns. I've noted where we stayed
in the blog in my sig. I used www.wotif.com.au and
individual hotel sites to book.

My trip was a bit limited by weather, but you may get some
ideas from the blog. Start with the Cairns "Tropical North"
entry at the bottom and work your way up; blogs seem to work
backwards:-)

http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/se...opical%20North

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
MI

On 7/8/07 3:50 PM, in article ,
"Alan S" wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:01:30 -0700, max11
wrote:

snip

Just on a couple of points; unfortunately, I'm not a diver.

If you are able to consider driving a car while in
Australia, I would recommend renting one for your stay,
picking up and returning it to Cairns Airport. You should be
able to get a small car for AU$40-50 per day plus insurance.
If not, for tours, reef cruises and day trips, there are
many to choose from. It may be best to wait until you arrive
to book so that you can get detailed information on them.
There are information/booking agencies all over the place in
downtown Cairns. Most depart from Cairns, some from Port
Douglas, I'm not sure about Cape Tribulation. River cruises
on the Daintree depart from both the Daintree Village and
downriver near the Ferry crossing. We travelled by bus in
Cairns and car after that.

Alan has suggested waiting until you get there before booking tours, if that
is the way you will be going. I am going to Australia soon and don't drive
so I am booking tours. You may want to check costs there before you go. I am
booking my tours from home as I can get cheaper rates than there. The prices
being quoted are not available in Australia. I have to trust my travel agent
on this and she says they are cheaper. Prices are quoted in American or
Canadian dollars. Their prices in Canadian dollars are a ripoff. The
Canadian prices quoted are 20 percent more than the US. Even considering
this brochure was printed at the end of 2006 the markup should not have been
more than 10 percent. Since the USD is only worth 5 percent more today I
will be paying in USD.

If you are interested in checking them out the firm is Australian Pacific
Touring. You can check them out at
www.australiasightseeing.com

No I don't get a commission. Maybe if they gave me a 20 percent discount I
might consider it! (G)

Martha T2 Canada

snip

Old July 10th, 2007, 01:34 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
max11

Thanks for your advices, also on Kuranda (I'll go there also).Do you
know something about the Atherton tablelands?

I read you blog, it's well made! but I was unable to read more on Port
Douglas and Daintree, because the link didn' go ahead

Cheers, max

Old July 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
max11

On 9 Lug, 02:27, MI wrote:
On 7/8/07 3:50 PM, in article ,

"Alan S" wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:01:30 -0700, max11
wrote:

snip

[...]

Thank you for the advice, they do a good offer (35% discount) but I
have already booked my tour in Kangaroo Island and Red Centre.

Old July 10th, 2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
max11

e.g. I noticedhttp://www.daintreecoast.com/accomlocation.htm#ctorhttp://www.tripadvisor.it/Hotels-g499639-c3-Cape_Tribulation_Queensla...
Are the cheaper options a good choice? Or, because of I'll go there
only one time in my life, I could spend more if it's worth while.

I studied the map.

North of Cape Tribulation Cmq, there's cape trib beach house, directly
on the beach.
About 4 kms souther, under Mason Creek, about front of Myall Beach(but
not on the beach) there are many accommodations.
Other 4 kms souther, around Alexandra Bay, there's another group, near
Thornton Beach.
At last 3 kms souther, there's another group, around the Cow bay.

Could someone give me some suggestion on the zones' beauty ?Qualcuno
sa darmi un indicazione di massima sulla bellezza delle zone?
Is to stay near or inside the forest better than on the beach?
How muche is simply to move among the zones without car?

2- I noticed there are many one day tours departing from Cairns or
Port Douglas.
Could anyone recommend me one of these?
But if I am yet in Cape tribulation, how can I visit the forest, make
a cruise on Daintree, tully river, etc. ?

3-I'd like to visit the reef. Where can I do a good diving? From where
could I have a cruise to some Island? from Cairns (I read well about
Fitzroy Island) or from Cape tribulation (e.g.http://www.rainforesthideaway.com/sc...rier-reef.htm?

Reef: A web site recommend doing a reef trip from Cape Tribulation
rather than Cairns or Port Douglas as the reef is only 45 minutes
offshore, the trip is more personal, with smaller groups, and the reef
is excellent - and only a metre below the surface.
Are you agree?

Thanks to who will answer!

Old July 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 05:34:54 -0700, max11
wrote:

Thanks for your advices, also on Kuranda (I'll go there also).Do you
know something about the Atherton tablelands?

I read you blog, it's well made! but I was unable to read more on Port
Douglas and Daintree, because the link didn' go ahead

Cheers, max

Sorry, that's a template fault that I don't know how to fix.
"read more" should be ignored, use the archives to go to a
later page. If anyone knows how to correct that without
using a different template - please let me know.

There's only one after that anyway, on Mossman Gorge. I'll
be writing one on the Atherton Tableland shortly.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: Mossman Gorge in the Daintree Rainforest