Hotel in Venice?

Old March 6th, 2011, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Justin[_5_]

Default Hotel in Venice?

Hi folks, my family and I (five of us) are planning a trip through Italy
and would like to possibly spend a few days in Venice.
My first question is, is it feasible? Is there enough to do in Venice
to keep us busy for a few days?
Second are there any super secret hotels that are "off the beaten path"
we should consider?
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Epsilon

Justin wrote:
Hi folks, my family and I (five of us) are planning a trip through
Italy and would like to possibly spend a few days in Venice.
My first question is, is it feasible?

Yes, but not with a car. No cars in Venice.

Is there enough to do in Venice
to keep us busy for a few days?

That depends on your interests. For many people, a few days is not nearly
enough.

Second are there any super secret hotels that are "off the beaten
path" we should consider?

Venice is expensive, both for accommodation and food. It has a wide range
of accomodation, but it's a bit more expensive than in other parts of Italy.
You are unlikely to find super secret hotels because the city is such a
popular destination, and it's quite small. There are a lot of tourists, and
those who run hotels in Venice have a good idea of price. You might find a
new place offering a promotional rate. Early booking can sometimes get you
a lower rate.

Old March 7th, 2011, 09:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Mar 6, 11:38*pm, Justin wrote:
Hi folks, my family and I (five of us) are planning a trip through Italy
and would like to possibly spend a few days in Venice.
My first question is, is it feasible? *Is there enough to do in Venice
to keep us busy for a few days?
Second are there any super secret hotels that are "off the beaten path"
we should consider?

The main sights of Venice can be easily seen in a day - as done by
many from nearby mainland tourist resorts.

If you want longer ... we spent a week there a couple of years ago,
living in a rented flat just behind St. Marks, and could easily have
filled another week!
Renting a flat is still relatively pricey - the 5 of you could have
lived in ours and it was £600 - maybe twice the price of elsewhere -
but far cheaper than hotels and, for us, distinctly preferable anyway.

A cheaper way of using hotels is to take one on the nearby mainland -
Treviso for instance - and just take the very quick rail trip over the
causeway each time.

If you do enjoy a longer time, strongly advise taking a look at the
outer islands also - Torcello, Murano, Burano etc.

Old March 7th, 2011, 12:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 03/07/2011 10:35 AM, Surreyman wrote:
On Mar 6, 11:38 pm, wrote:
[...]

If you miss out on experiencing Venice by night, it's like visiting
Paris and not seeing the Eiffel tower.

Old March 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

Second are there any super secret hotels that are "off the beaten path"
we should consider?

Try the Hotel Marconi. Hardly off the beaten path being on the Grand Canal
within yards of the Rialto Bridge.
Small hotel. Small rooms. Great breakfasts included. Rooms 101 & 102 and
another terrace onto the canal.

Regards, S

Old March 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 18:38:57 -0500, Justin
wrote:

Hi folks, my family and I (five of us) are planning a trip through Italy
and would like to possibly spend a few days in Venice.
My first question is, is it feasible? Is there enough to do in Venice
to keep us busy for a few days?
Second are there any super secret hotels that are "off the beaten path"
we should consider?

They are in Treviso.

Beat me to it!

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2011-03-06 17:38:57 -0600, Justin said:

Hi folks, my family and I (five of us) are planning a trip through Italy
and would like to possibly spend a few days in Venice.
My first question is, is it feasible? Is there enough to do in Venice
to keep us busy for a few days?
Second are there any super secret hotels that are "off the beaten path"
we should consider?

Hello Justin. I found enough for two weeks. This was helped by first
reading John Julius Norwich's history of the Venetian Republic, which I
recommend for you. It tells an interesting story of the history of
Venice, which you can then go out and see for yourself. Truly, I would
sometimes bring my copy of it out with me for the day. You can really
connect with history in Venice because it is all so accessible. Just
wandering around and getting lost was cool. And walking Venice at
night is incredible atmospheric and at no time did I feel nervous.

I cannot recommend specific hotels for you, and some will be
spectacular if pricey. I rented an apartment for two weeks, from the
Views on Venice people. I could get groceries from the grocery store
like the locals and cook for myself. The apartment had a clothes
washer, too. (hang to dry, though) Something to think about.
--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda

Old March 8th, 2011, 11:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Mar 7, 11:01*am, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 01:35:22 -0800 (PST), Surreyman

wrote:
On Mar 6, 11:38 pm, Justin wrote:
Hi folks, my family and I (five of us) are planning a trip through Italy
and would like to possibly spend a few days in Venice.
My first question is, is it feasible? Is there enough to do in Venice
to keep us busy for a few days?
Second are there any super secret hotels that are "off the beaten path"
we should consider?

The main sights of Venice can be easily seen in a day - as done by
many from nearby mainland tourist resorts.

If you want longer ... we spent a week there a couple of years ago,
living in a rented flat just behind St. Marks, and could easily have
filled another week!
Renting a flat is still relatively pricey - the 5 of you could have
lived in ours and it was 600 - maybe twice the price of elsewhere -
but far cheaper than hotels and, for us, distinctly preferable anyway.

That's about the same rate as a holiday cottage in July Augustr in UK.

A cheaper way of using hotels is to take one on the nearby mainland -
Treviso for instance - and just take the very quick rail trip over the
causeway each time.

If you do enjoy a longer time, strongly advise taking a look at the
outer islands also - Torcello, Murano, Burano etc.

--

Martin

We usually rent these days.
We expect to pay around £350 a week for a couple almost anywhere -
sometimes in larger accommodation.
Our Dutch house (2 bedrooms, for 4) in June is just less than £400.
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Mar 6, 11:38 pm, *wrote:
[...]

You *can stay in Treviso and not miss Venice by night, just as you can
stay in Versailles and not miss Paris by night.
--

Martin

Agreed!
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:24 PM
vechkus vechkus is offline
Banned

Location: Bol, Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin[_5_] View Post
Hi folks, my family and I (five of us) are planning a trip through Italy
and would like to possibly spend a few days in Venice.
My first question is, is it feasible? Is there enough to do in Venice
to keep us busy for a few days?
Second are there any super secret hotels that are "off the beaten path"
we should consider?
For young people it's pretty boring in Venice.Ok it's romantic and many beautiful sites to see, I guess Venice is actually for couples and families, but not much exciting and adventureous.
For us, it was also pretty expensive in hotels so we stayed in a hostel.