EASYJET - Cabin Luggage - How much?

Old April 12th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Stromer2

Default EASYJET - Cabin Luggage - How much?

I will be flying Europe's Easyjet for the first time in June and would like to
get advice on the size of cabin luggage allowed. Since it is almost impossible
to contact Easyjet from the USA (the phone is always busy), I cannot get an
answer from them. I would like to know from the following list of approved
items, the size allowed and fellow passangers experiences in this area. I do
not want to check luggage because it might delay me catching a train from the
airport area.

Easyjet allows:
Cabin bag of 45cm x 35cm x 20cm - wt = 5 kilos - which is not very heavy - the
bag alone would weigh almost 5 kilos. Do they weigh all these bags and charge
the overweight fee - which is very high
Handbag - how big can this be?
Clutchbag - how big can this be?
Duty Free goods - what does this mean - items in sacks, etc.
Small items of camera equipment - how many items can be brought - would several
35mm SLR cameras in a camera bag with a lens be ok (the camera bag would be
about 12" x 10" x 8")?

Is there any flexibility for carryon luggage?

Thanks for any advice on this. I am sure after flying once I will know how
this works.

Rick

Old April 12th, 2004, 07:26 AM
David Bennetts

"Stromer2" wrote in message
I will be flying Europe's Easyjet for the first time in June and would

like to
get advice on the size of cabin luggage allowed. Since it is almost

impossible
to contact Easyjet from the USA (the phone is always busy), I cannot get

an
answer from them. I would like to know from the following list of

approved
items, the size allowed and fellow passangers experiences in this area. I

do
not want to check luggage because it might delay me catching a train from

the
airport area.

Why not just read the following:

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/book/regulations.html under baggage.

You'll probably find that some checkin operators are more flexible than
others, but there's nothing worse than getting on a plane when every other
passenger has the same idea as you appear to have that they can take all
manner of bulky and weighty items on board, and fill up all the overhead
locker space around them to the discomfort of the fellow passengers, and the
dismay of the cabin crew who are required to see that such clutter doesn't
obstruct potential emergency situations.

Unless things have markedly changed since my last international jaunt you'll
find that airlines outside the USA are much more stringent with the weight
and bulk of items allowed in the cabin of the aircraft.

Regards

David Bennetts

..

Old April 12th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Stromer2

David:
Thanks for the reply but I read the EJ link on luggage(not very clear-thats why
I asked questions). I was trying to get experiences of EJ travellers.
Old April 12th, 2004, 07:44 AM
mtravelkay

Stromer2 wrote:

I will be flying Europe's Easyjet for the first time in June and would like to
get advice on the size of cabin luggage allowed. Since it is almost impossible
to contact Easyjet from the USA (the phone is always busy), I cannot get an
answer from them. I would like to know from the following list of approved
items, the size allowed and fellow passangers experiences in this area. I do
not want to check luggage because it might delay me catching a train from the
airport area.

How might it delay catching a train? Won't you have some checked
luggage? If it is going to be that tight of a connection to a train, you
might consider taking the next train.

Old April 12th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Lansbury

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:26:22 +1000, "David Bennetts"
wrote:

You'll probably find that some checkin operators are more flexible than
others,

I doubt it. Easyjet are very strict in the enforced of their carry on
limits. You will be very lucky to get more than the allow in size or
weight.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Jan

"Stromer2" wrote in message
[...]

As an Easyjet customer, who only ever takes Hand Luggage, my advice is to
always wear/carry your heaviest clothes. I have a wheelie flightbag made of
fabric
which I underpack, so it looks lighter.
I carry a daypack/rucsac with my cameras, makeup etc, slung over one
shoulder. Touchwood, I've never had anything queried. The secret is to make
more appear to be less .
I don't buy duty free so I have one less bag than most at the airport door-
where you can also be stopped for to much baggage.
The return check in from Madrid/Barcelona is much more casual than
Stanstead, I'm sure I bring back double what I take out!!
BTW There are always people that appear to carry on more than me.

Jan

Old April 12th, 2004, 01:22 PM
AJC

On 12 Apr 2004 05:07:34 GMT, (Stromer2) wrote:

I will be flying Europe's Easyjet for the first time in June and would like to
get advice on the size of cabin luggage allowed. Since it is almost impossible
to contact Easyjet from the USA (the phone is always busy), I cannot get an
answer from them. I would like to know from the following list of approved
items, the size allowed and fellow passangers experiences in this area. I do
not want to check luggage because it might delay me catching a train from the
airport area.

Easyjet allows:
Cabin bag of 45cm x 35cm x 20cm - wt = 5 kilos - which is not very heavy - the
bag alone would weigh almost 5 kilos. Do they weigh all these bags and charge
the overweight fee - which is very high

In 4 out of 5 flights I have taken with EZY they have weighed my cabin
bag. Assume they will do so with yours, and that they will impose the
limit, probably allowing up to 6 kg. You should think about getting
another bag if it is so heavy.

Handbag - how big can this be?
Clutchbag - how big can this be?
Duty Free goods - what does this mean - items in sacks, etc.
Small items of camera equipment - how many items can be brought - would several
35mm SLR cameras in a camera bag with a lens be ok (the camera bag would be
about 12" x 10" x 8")?

Is there any flexibility for carryon luggage?

Very little. EZY will have the last say, be prepared to check anything
over the limit.

Thanks for any advice on this. I am sure after flying once I will know how
this works.

Rick

--==++AJC++==--
Old April 12th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Miguel Cruz

Stromer2 wrote:
Thanks for the reply but I read the EJ link on luggage(not very
clear-thats why I asked questions). I was trying to get experiences of EJ
travellers.

If it's largish, then they're almost certain to ask you to weigh it.

If it's not excessively large, then in my experience it depends on how you
carry it. If it looks light, then they usually won't bother. With my
backpack, for instance, if I put it on one shoulder and make sure I don't
list off to one side, then they don't say anything. If I wear it on both
shoulders or look like it's weighing me down (unavoidable at a 6am flight!),
then they raise the issue.

miguel
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Rick S

We just flew EasyJet CDG to LHR last week. The carryon backpack was
weighed at 7 KG and I thought they would ask for money but they let it
go. Also had some other lighter plastic bags that weren't bothered
with at CDG. As said before, make it look light and if it turns out a
bit over odds are they won't charge. But they could....

Rick2

Old April 16th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Traveller

"Rick S" wrote in message
om...
We just flew EasyJet CDG to LHR last week. The carryon backpack was
weighed at 7 KG and I thought they would ask for money but they let it
go. Also had some other lighter plastic bags that weren't bothered
with at CDG. As said before, make it look light and if it turns out a
bit over odds are they won't charge. But they could....

Wrong. They won't ever charge for overweight cabin baggage, simply tell you
to check it in. End.