"Special" swimming times for Muslims in UK public swimming pools

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:12 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default "Special" swimming times for Muslims in UK public swimming pools

Maria wrote:
DVH wrote:
"David Johnston" wrote in message

On the beaches of Egypt and Libya the women do indeed swim fully-clothed,
unveiled but otherwise draped in the usual garb.

And also in Hindu India. (try swimming with 6m of sari fabric wrapped
around you!)
It's a western thing - taking most of your clothes off in public I mean.

I don't think so. There are plenty of cultures around
the world, on all the continents, where it's acceptable
to wear very little.

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:13 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Maria

jb wrote:

Wrong answer!
You are the one making the assertation that special times for Moslem women
are A OK, you therefore have to make your case that special treatment for
Moslems is correct.

It is compounded when the PC brigade agree with them.

Who are the PC Brigade?

The people such as yourself who appear to be saying the Moslems are a
special case.

Not really. Any group who have a special requirement for pool use are a
special case. A couple of ho-hum special cases that spring to mind are
competitive swimmers and naturists. Competitive swimmers regularly get
exclusive use of the pool when they want to hold races and carnivals.

But that is inclusive of all religions/races/gender.
Segregated swimming along the lines of religion and
gender is not inclusive.

People have their own very strict rules about degrees of nudity,
whatever their religion.
I have no objection to whatever-only sessions in the pool for that
reason. I personally would be happier to swim in women-only sessions
because I am easily embarrassed about my body and do not want to parade
it in front of strange men. I'm not a Muslim BTW.
Muslim only tennis courts - no, I don't think so.

The idea that segregation is not helpful in society
is a new concept in the UK but it's very newsworthy
now. It was virtually a taboo subject in the past,
and perhaps that's still the case in Australia.

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:17 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Maria

wrote:
Maria wrote:
DVH wrote:
"David Johnston" wrote in message

On the beaches of Egypt and Libya the women do indeed swim fully-clothed,
unveiled but otherwise draped in the usual garb.

And also in Hindu India. (try swimming with 6m of sari fabric wrapped
around you!)
It's a western thing - taking most of your clothes off in public I mean.

I don't think so. There are plenty of cultures around
the world, on all the continents, where it's acceptable
to wear very little.

I presume you are referring to tribal people who have not been
subjected to modesty-related dress codes?

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:21 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Addinall wrote:
jb wrote:

The people such as yourself who appear to be saying the Moslems are a
special case.

Not really. Any group who have a special requirement for pool use are a
special case. A couple of ho-hum special cases that spring to mind are
competitive swimmers and naturists. Competitive swimmers regularly get
exclusive use of the pool when they want to hold races and carnivals.

But that is inclusive of all religions/races/gender.

Nope. Plenty of "girl only" swimming venues in this
country, your country and the USSA.

Still have a club in Brisbane that today voted not
to allow women full membership. Good old Tatts.
It gave me great pleasure to see Sarino Russo
whining out on the street.

Yes, actually there are swimming excercise
sessions at my gym which are for women only.
That's because they are designed for toning
women, and obviously the exercises don't apply
to men.
In any case, men and women mix freely in our
society at all other times. This isn't the case for
many sections of the Muslim community.
They are segregated religiously and culturally.

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Maria

wrote:
Addinall wrote:
jb wrote:

[...]

Oh please!

In any case, men and women mix freely in our
society at all other times. This isn't the case for
many sections of the Muslim community.
They are segregated religiously and culturally.

Mixed hospital wards anyone?

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:24 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Arthur Brain

Patrick Wallace wrote:

But there is an established principle that anti-discrimination rules
don't stop dedicated provision to counter inequalities. Rather the
contrary. If you could show that an apparently equitable rule tends to
disadvantage a particular group (such as insisting on a given command
of English language for a job that doesn't require it), it could well
be counted as an indirect discrimination. If there is nothing stopping
men from swimming at any other time, a set session for Muslim women
wouldn't be as much of a discrimination against men as permanently
mixed swimming would be against Muslim women.

What you have failed to grasp is that in our culture & society there is
ABSOLUTELY NO REASON which prevents muslim women from using public
swimming pools at ANY TIME of their choosing.

They are perfectly free to come and swim along with all the other equal
citizens in our society at the same time.

If they subscribe to a belief which forces them to discriminate against
US, they can **** OFF BACK TO THE ISLAMIC ******** THAT PRODUCED THEM.

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:26 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Maria

Arthur Brain wrote:
Patrick Wallace wrote:

But there is an established principle that anti-discrimination rules
don't stop dedicated provision to counter inequalities. Rather the
contrary. If you could show that an apparently equitable rule tends to
disadvantage a particular group (such as insisting on a given command
of English language for a job that doesn't require it), it could well
be counted as an indirect discrimination. If there is nothing stopping
men from swimming at any other time, a set session for Muslim women
wouldn't be as much of a discrimination against men as permanently
mixed swimming would be against Muslim women.

What you have failed to grasp is that in our culture & society there is
ABSOLUTELY NO REASON which prevents muslim women from using public
swimming pools at ANY TIME of their choosing.

Or non-Muslim women, or men, or families, or parent and baby, or people
who want private parties, or to play with giant inflateables.

They are perfectly free to come and swim along with all the other equal
citizens in our society at the same time.

If they subscribe to a belief which forces them to discriminate against
US, they can **** OFF BACK TO THE ISLAMIC ******** THAT PRODUCED THEM.

Best not to let them in in the first place.

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:28 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Maria wrote:

People have their own very strict rules about degrees of nudity,
whatever their religion.
I have no objection to whatever-only sessions in the pool for that
reason.

I'm not sure what you mean here.
If we have whatever-only sessions then
the possibilites are endless.

I personally would be happier to swim in women-only sessions
because I am easily embarrassed about my body and do not want to parade
it in front of strange men. I'm not a Muslim BTW.
Muslim only tennis courts - no, I don't think so.

I think if we allow Muslim only swimming sessions, then
it won't be long before we have Muslim only tennis
courts and everything else besides.

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:29 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Arthur Brain

Maria wrote:

People have their own very strict rules about degrees of nudity,
whatever their religion.

YEP.

Seth Effrikens found the idea of swimming in the same swimming pool as
Blekk people EXTREMELY YUKKY, so they banned Blekk people from their
pools.

Obviously, muslims have similar opinions about non-muslims.

Personally, I risked arrest and a criminal record demonstrating in
front of the Seth Effriken embassy in the 1980's in Canberra in order
to register my personal protest against such discrimination.

INteresting to see that discrimination of this nature STILL has its
supporters in our western societies.....

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:32 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Maria wrote:
wrote:

Yes, actually there are swimming excercise
sessions at my gym which are for women only.
That's because they are designed for toning
women, and obviously the exercises don't apply
to men.

Oh please!

Well I suppose men could join if they wished, but
I doubt if they are interested in toning their
pelvic muscles after childbirth.

In any case, men and women mix freely in our
society at all other times. This isn't the case for
many sections of the Muslim community.
They are segregated religiously and culturally.

Mixed hospital wards anyone?

That's something which bothers most people in
society though. It's not an issue affecting only Muslims.