"Special" swimming times for Muslims in UK public swimming pools

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:33 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Maria

Default "Special" swimming times for Muslims in UK public swimming pools

wrote:
Maria wrote:

People have their own very strict rules about degrees of nudity,
whatever their religion.
I have no objection to whatever-only sessions in the pool for that
reason.

I'm not sure what you mean here.
If we have whatever-only sessions then
the possibilites are endless.

Yes they are, but we seem to be coping ok.

I personally would be happier to swim in women-only sessions
because I am easily embarrassed about my body and do not want to parade
it in front of strange men. I'm not a Muslim BTW.
Muslim only tennis courts - no, I don't think so.

I think if we allow Muslim only swimming sessions, then
it won't be long before we have Muslim only tennis
courts and everything else besides.

I am talking about nudity as the factor, which is what the issue is
here. Where nudity is not an issue, then I think the argument against
segration is stronger.
Even so, people tend to segregate themselves (as per women only gym or
swimming sessions), and that there is no harm in it.
Once you start to find rules to force people to integrate, it won't
only be Muslims who get uppity I'm sure.

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:35 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Arthur Brain wrote:
Maria wrote:

People have their own very strict rules about degrees of nudity,
whatever their religion.

YEP.

Seth Effrikens found the idea of swimming in the same swimming pool as
Blekk people EXTREMELY YUKKY, so they banned Blekk people from their
pools.

Yes, that's a good point.
Some extreme religious denominations
forbid the mixing of races.
So do we accommodate that too?
Where does it end?

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Maria

Arthur Brain wrote:
Maria wrote:

People have their own very strict rules about degrees of nudity,
whatever their religion.

YEP.

Seth Effrikens found the idea of swimming in the same swimming pool as
Blekk people EXTREMELY YUKKY, so they banned Blekk people from their
pools.

That wasn't about nudity, it was about racial superiority.

Obviously, muslims have similar opinions about non-muslims.

I have no idea - I can't deduce that because someone does not want to
mix with me, that they think are superior to me. I do not particularly
want to mix with them, but not because I feel superior - simply because
they have an alien culture which would probably mean we had little in
common.

Personally, I risked arrest and a criminal record demonstrating in
front of the Seth Effriken embassy in the 1980's in Canberra in order
to register my personal protest against such discrimination.

INteresting to see that discrimination of this nature STILL has its
supporters in our western societies.....

I am simply talking about nudity based discrimination - I would support
the wishes of people to retain their dignity wrt their bodies, which is
why I think that mixed wards should be abandoned and women and men be
given back their privacy.

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:44 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Maria wrote:
Even so, people tend to segregate themselves (as per women only gym or

swimming sessions), and that there is no harm in it.

That's true, but only because men and women mix freely
at all other times. We aren't segregated in society.

Once you start to find rules to force people to integrate, it won't
only be Muslims who get uppity I'm sure.

I don't think we should be concerned about that.

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:45 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Addinall

wrote:
Addinall wrote:
jb wrote:

The people such as yourself who appear to be saying the Moslems are a
special case.

Not really. Any group who have a special requirement for pool use are a
special case. A couple of ho-hum special cases that spring to mind are
competitive swimmers and naturists. Competitive swimmers regularly get
exclusive use of the pool when they want to hold races and carnivals.

But that is inclusive of all religions/races/gender.

Nope. Plenty of "girl only" swimming venues in this
country, your country and the USSA.

Still have a club in Brisbane that today voted not
to allow women full membership. Good old Tatts.
It gave me great pleasure to see Sarino Russo
whining out on the street.

Yes, actually there are swimming excercise
sessions at my gym which are for women only.

Sexist.

That's because they are designed for toning
women, and obviously the exercises don't apply
to men.

So, the female skeletal-muscular system is very
different to the male is it?

In any case, men and women mix freely in our
society at all other times.

No they don't. Sexes still clump. That's pretty
bloody obvious isn't it?

This isn't the case for
many sections of the Muslim community.
They are segregated religiously and culturally.

As are all communities. Primitive and (sic)
sophisticated.

Mark Addinall.

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:50 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Addinall

wrote:
Maria wrote:
Even so, people tend to segregate themselves (as per women only gym or

swimming sessions), and that there is no harm in it.

That's true, but only because men and women mix freely
at all other times. We aren't segregated in society.

You can't drink in my club.

Mark Addinall.