****ty exchange rate, any place in europe worth visiting?

Old July 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Default ****ty exchange rate, any place in europe worth visiting?

"Mike O'Sullivan" wrote in message
tim..... wrote:
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
My wife and I wanted to visit possibly Spain or Italy from here in
Arizona US,
but have been hearing horror stories about the current exchange rate.
A while back we visited California, and I really got tired of being
ripped
of on everything. I can't imagine how Europe would be right now.

I was wondering if anybody might have some advice on visiting europe on
the
cheap? Stuff like renting a room with kitchen access and getting local
groceries instead of paying for restaurant meals, etc.

Can you really not work this sort of thing out for yourself?

Whilst it is not common in Europe to get rooms with kitchen equipment,

Far from it. I commonly do this in various countries, recently France,
Netherlands and Denmark.

And what percentage of rooms have a kitchem 1%, 0,5% that to me is not
common

Old July 21st, 2008, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

With its mediterranean coastal climate, don't forget Croatia! I find it
a tad cheaper than Poland or Hungary as well.

However, unless one is a genuine red-neck, Arizona is practically
bi-lingual. The OP might find it easier to get along in a
Spanish-speaking country - especially outside the tourist areas.
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Markku Grönroos wrote:

"grusl" kirjoitti
.. .

"Tim C." wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:06:10 +0100, Mike..... wrote:

After the exchange rate, what problems are you expecting?

Euro 5 for a half litre beer in France and Italy. That's horrific in my
book.

Especially as neither country knows anything about beer. Drink wine.

What an odd remark! And very untrue also.

Clear to see you're not a beer drinker! American beer is bad enough,
but I think most beer drinkers concede that Belgian or German are the
best. (Although some of those imported to the U.S. leave a bit to be
desired.)
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

grusl wrote:
"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
Markku Grönroos wrote:

"grusl" kirjoitti
.. .
"Tim C." wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:06:10 +0100, Mike..... wrote:

After the exchange rate, what problems are you expecting?
Euro 5 for a half litre beer in France and Italy. That's horrific in
my
book.
Especially as neither country knows anything about beer. Drink wine.

What an odd remark! And very untrue also.

Espoecially if you use it as a mixer with voddy!

What? Vodka and beer?

Well, better than creme de menthe and beer, which I understand is a St.
Patrick's Day standby in parts of the U.S.! (Myself, I'd prefer using
food coloring, if I MUST have green beer.)
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

With its mediterranean coastal climate, don't forget Croatia! I find it
a tad cheaper than Poland or Hungary as well.

However, unless one is a genuine red-neck, Arizona is practically
bi-lingual. The OP might find it easier to get along in a
Spanish-speaking country - especially outside the tourist areas.

I really don't think that's a factor the OP needs to consider. English
is widely enough spoken in Croatia, especially wherever a tourist would
be likely to go. Certainly, there are some areas such as the Istrian
peninsula where Italian (and sometimes even German) might be more useful
than English (it certainly was in the case of one place we stayed in
Pula) but someone who only speaks English will get by fine. As for those
"outside the tourist areas" places- Croatians are friendly and helpful
enough that it wouldn't be a big problem.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

grusl wrote:
"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
Markku Grönroos wrote:

"grusl" kirjoitti
.. .
"Tim C." wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:06:10 +0100, Mike..... wrote:

After the exchange rate, what problems are you expecting?
Euro 5 for a half litre beer in France and Italy. That's horrific in
my
book.
Especially as neither country knows anything about beer. Drink wine.

What an odd remark! And very untrue also.
Espoecially if you use it as a mixer with voddy!

What? Vodka and beer?

Well, better than creme de menthe and beer, which I understand is a St.
Patrick's Day standby in parts of the U.S.! (Myself, I'd prefer using
food coloring, if I MUST have green beer.)

Lager and creme de menthe is actually not that bad ... once in a blue (or
green) moon. I've mixed lager with stout, lemonade, cider or lime, but never
with vodka.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old July 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:
Am Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:56:09 +0200 schrieb Tim C.:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:52:31 +0530, grusl wrote:

Especially as neither country knows anything about beer. Drink wine.

Some Alsatian beers are very good

I remember sitting next to a lady on a flight and they served Kronenbourg,
and I remarked "Oh, they serve french beer" - at which she gave me a bad
look and said "It's not french, it's Alsatian!" ;-)

I think my German grandmother (whose family came from Alsace-Lorraine)
would have been in agreement with that!
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Tim C. wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:57:03 +0200, Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:

In France you'll also find wine chepaer than beer.

It might be possible, but there's not a huge difference ime and the wine
for that price is pretty awful.

If you want cheap beer you better come to Germany.

I did that in 1985. I now live in Austria.

I envy you! I had toyed with the idea of retiring there, but was too
lazy to really examine the practicalities of doing so. (Given the
decline of the dollar, and the fact all my retirement income is in USD,
it's probably fortunate I did not, but I do regret choosing Arizona
instead of Vienna!)

Old July 21st, 2008, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:47:46 -0700, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

AZ Nomad wrote:
My wife and I wanted to visit possibly Spain or Italy from here in Arizona US,
but have been hearing horror stories about the current exchange rate.
A while back we visited California, and I really got tired of being ripped
of on everything. I can't imagine how Europe would be right now.

What does the "exchange rate" have to do with California vis a vis
Arizona? (A year of living in AZ has shown me that Arizona resembles a

Visiting california means paying 50-100% more than I would at home, exactly
as is the case when the exchange rate causes me to pay 200-500% more when
traveling overseas.

I don't understand why you find this such a difficult concept. I only used
the california example as an example of vacationing and getting tired of
being ripped off.

I suppose you don't mind paying 5-10 times more for everything while
traveling. You seem to have money coming out your ass. Not all of us are
so blessed.
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:00:36 -0700, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

With its mediterranean coastal climate, don't forget Croatia! I find it
a tad cheaper than Poland or Hungary as well.

However, unless one is a genuine red-neck, Arizona is practically
bi-lingual. The OP might find it easier to get along in a
Spanish-speaking country - especially outside the tourist areas.

Especially with my bilingual wife. :-)
She's also learning Italian. I'm too old to learn a new language outside of
a new programming language.