****ty exchange rate, any place in europe worth visiting?

Old July 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bert Hyman

Default ****ty exchange rate, any place in europe worth visiting?

(tim.....) wrote in
:

Can you really not work this sort of thing out for yourself?

Time to shut down the newsgroup then?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Old July 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:55:34 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:57:49 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Tim C. wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:06:10 +0100, Mike..... wrote:

After the exchange rate, what problems are you expecting?

Euro 5 for a half litre beer in France and Italy.

In Paris, 8 euro if you want it in a cafe in touristy areas. Actually,
even in non-touristy cafes, it can be almost that expensive (3.50 for 25
cl at one such that I remember.) That said, seems as if Belgian beers
are increasingly popular in France, so you can at least drink the beer
now.

Something to do with InBev and Heineken owning more and more of them?

Quite likely, as Hoegaarden, Leffe, Affligem etc. were quite common.

They own or have shares in most common drinks. Including Hoegaarden, Leffe,
Affligem etc.

That was my point!

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sarah Banick

The other money-saving option is to go east. If it's the Mediterranean

you want, think Croatia with Adriatic coastal towns like Split or
historic Dubrovnik. Similar options might be Bulgaria's Black Sea coast
or western Turkey, all of which can still be relative bargains, even in
these days of the weak American dollar.

Agreed. I spent some time in Bulgaria last fall, and the prices were
amazingly low. Can't speak to the beaches, but there are beautiful towns
throughout the country.

Old July 21st, 2008, 03:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:27:44 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Markku Grönroos wrote:

"grusl" kirjoitti
.. .

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
grusl wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in
message
Markku Grönroos wrote:

"grusl" kirjoitti
.. .

"Tim C." wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:06:10 +0100, Mike..... wrote:

After the exchange rate, what problems are you expecting?

Euro 5 for a half litre beer in France and Italy. That's horrific
in
my
book.

Especially as neither country knows anything about beer. Drink
wine.

What an odd remark! And very untrue also.

Espoecially if you use it as a mixer with voddy!

What? Vodka and beer?

If you're Markkku, sure! I think I climed over him a few times on my
recent trip...

To get to someone else, I hope.

Perhaps he was going to that swish hotel with swish clientele in Madrid.

You're confusing Markkku, George. He was wondering what a Swish hotel
was doing in Madrid!

Is that how he pronounces Swiss?

It depends on what time of vodka it is.

Old July 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

chancellor (*)) wrote:

Tim C. wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:06:10 +0100, Mike..... wrote:

After the exchange rate, what problems are you expecting?

Euro 5 for a half litre beer in France and Italy.

In Paris, 8 euro if you want it in a cafe in touristy areas. Actually,
even in non-touristy cafes, it can be almost that expensive (3.50 for
25
cl at one such that I remember.) That said, seems as if Belgian beers
are increasingly popular in France, so you can at least drink the beer
now.

Something to do with InBev and Heineken owning more and more of them?

Quite likely, as Hoegaarden, Leffe, Affligem etc. were quite common.

They own or have shares in most common drinks. Including Hoegaarden,
Leffe,
Affligem etc.

Hoegaarden is a bit of a refresher in tropical climes but I'm always a bit
embarrassed by the rather large glass bucket it comes in, at least where
I've had it in Asia. A bartender showed me it holds no more than any other
pint glass, but the thickness of the glass makes it look huge. Big enough
for people to comment on. Is that the traditional Hoegaarden container in
Europe?

Cheers
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old July 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bob Fusillo

"Tim C." wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:06:10 +0100, Mike..... wrote:

After the exchange rate, what problems are you expecting?

Euro 5 for a half litre beer in France and Italy. That's horrific in my
book.

Pretty standard in London, Atlanta, New York, and elsewhere.

Old July 21st, 2008, 03:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

chancellor (*)) wrote:

Tim C. wrote:

[...]

Around here it is- but you can always order a half!

Old July 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:26:24 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:36:05 +0200, Keith Anderson wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:24:48 +0100, "Mike....."
wrote:

Following up to grusl

In June I paid EUR8 for a 330ml bottle of Mahou on the terrace of a very
swish Madrid hotel.

I paid £15 for a pot of tea in a posh english hotel.

You were lucky. When I were a lad it yer only got bread and water in '
hotel.

in t' 'otel? We lived on bread and dripping and recycled tea bags in a shoe
box.

Shoe-box? SHOE BOX? You ' ad yer own shoe box? We 'ad ter live in a
bleedin' broom-cupbaord, we did, an ' share it with a complete nutter
'oo lived on re-cycled McDonald's an' Coca-Cola. Right bozo, 'e were -
talked crap all ' t time an' all.

Keith (formerly of Bristol UK)
now moved to Berlin/nach Berlin umgezogen
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_2_]

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:28:44 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:06:23 +0200, "Tim C." wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:57:03 +0200, Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:

In France you'll also find wine chepaer than beer.

It might be possible, but there's not a huge difference ime and the wine
for that price is pretty awful.

If you want cheap beer you better come to Germany.

I did that in 1985. I now live in Austria.

for the cheap antifreeze?

well, it's not as cheap as the beer.

--
Tim C.
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

My wife and I wanted to visit possibly Spain or Italy from here in Arizona US,
but have been hearing horror stories about the current exchange rate.
A while back we visited California, and I really got tired of being ripped
of on everything. I can't imagine how Europe would be right now.

I was wondering if anybody might have some advice on visiting europe on the
cheap? Stuff like renting a room with kitchen access and getting local
groceries instead of paying for restaurant meals, etc.

Some of the rooms I've had in Germany in the past have actually had a
kitchen corner, but it wasn't something I planned.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*