Cell Phone Rental/Purchase in NZ (for vacation)

Old February 12th, 2004, 04:58 PM
RonB

Default Cell Phone Rental/Purchase in NZ (for vacation)

I'd appreciate comments/suggestions on the best options for acquiring a cell
phone for use while on vacation in NZ (for about a month)

I know some car rental firms rent phones for $3-$5/day. I've heard that
phones can also be rented at Auckland Airport, but have no info on costs.
And/or can phones be purchased for reasonable cost?

The main purpose of the phone would be for use in emergency situations (e.g.
car breakdown).

Thanks
Ron B

(to respond directly, please delete the prot)

Old February 12th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Roger_Nickel

RonB wrote:
I'd appreciate comments/suggestions on the best options for acquiring a cell
phone for use while on vacation in NZ (for about a month)

I know some car rental firms rent phones for $3-$5/day. I've heard that
phones can also be rented at Auckland Airport, but have no info on costs.
And/or can phones be purchased for reasonable cost?

The main purpose of the phone would be for use in emergency situations (e.g.
car breakdown).

Thanks
Ron B

(to respond directly, please delete the prot)

For a month it would be cheaper to buy a phone on Trademe for $100 and
get a prepay SIM card for $20. You can sell the phone when you leave or
keep it as a souvineer.

Old February 13th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Paul O

Buy a cell phone (gsm service is Vodafone) from a discount outlet - they're
in every mall, department stores etc - for about $100 - usually it will
include $20 air time also. Remember you do NOT pay for incoming cell phone
calls in NZ (or anywhere much outside North America).
If you already have a gsm phone (triband if you're in North America) - and
it's not sim locked (your phone carrier can tell you) it will just need a
new sim card. Cost $20 - and it will include free air time too. Recharge
cards are available from every supermarket, servo etc in the country.
I'd also check out 'callback' services. Using one will give you access to
very cheap calls to anywhere in the world from your NZ cell phone. There are
several - do a Google!

Good Luck.

Old February 14th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Frank Slootweg

RonB wrote:
I'd appreciate comments/suggestions on the best options for acquiring a cell
phone for use while on vacation in NZ (for about a month)

I know some car rental firms rent phones for $3-$5/day. I've heard that
phones can also be rented at Auckland Airport, but have no info on costs.
And/or can phones be purchased for reasonable cost?

The main purpose of the phone would be for use in emergency situations (e.g.
car breakdown).

AFAICT, you are from Canada (please always mentione your country of
origin for questions like these). Isn't Canada part of The Civilized
World (tm), i.e. uses the GSM system instead of the US-centric system?

If you have a GSM phone, you can just use it in NZ. If you want lower
call costs, you can, as mentioned, buy a pre-paid SIM for some $20
(provided your phone is not SIM-locked).
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Paul O

Canada is part of the civilised world - BUT it's phone system is merely an
extension of the US system. There are two GSM carriers (Fido and Rogers
Wireless - with poor coverage indeed) - but they use the 1900 frequency; so
unless you have a triband phone..............