Rough waters Boston to Bermuda

Old June 17th, 2006, 02:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Rough waters Boston to Bermuda

My wife has heard that the seas can be a bit rough on the NCL Majesty
between Boston and Bermuda. Is there any truth to this and if so, how bad
is it really? What causes this phenomenon? Are the waters any more rough
than the NYC to Bermuda cruise?

~alan

Old June 17th, 2006, 02:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Well you are crossing the open ocean, so you could have heavy seas, if there
is a storm in the vicinity. Having said that, when we left Bermuda in Aug of
2002 on the Majesty, the seas were as flat as a pancake, and not a breath of
wind. It was really rather surreal.

Paul

--
Paul Hoffman
Burlington ON

Old June 17th, 2006, 03:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

~~Alan~~ wrote:
My wife has heard that the seas can be a bit rough on the NCL Majesty
between Boston and Bermuda. Is there any truth to this and if so, how bad
is it really? What causes this phenomenon? Are the waters any more rough
than the NYC to Bermuda cruise?

~alan

It is the North Altlantic after all. I shouldnt be too bad an a ship as
large as a cruise ship.
When i was in the navy we sometimes had to strap ourselves into our
beds so that we would not fall out. much smaller ship.

Old June 17th, 2006, 03:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

~~Alan~~ wrote:

My wife has heard that the seas can be a bit rough on the NCL Majesty
between Boston and Bermuda. Is there any truth to this and if so, how bad
is it really? What causes this phenomenon? Are the waters any more rough
than the NYC to Bermuda cruise?

Sailing from Boston or NYC, it is still the Atlantic Ocean. The ride
could be very rough or it could be as smooth as silk. On one of my
Bermuda sailings from NY, many, many people were very seasick. I had
the same experience on a cruise from NYC up to Canada, half the
passengers didn't come to dinner.
sue
Old June 17th, 2006, 04:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message
Sailing from Boston or NYC, it is still the Atlantic Ocean. The ride could
be very rough or it could be as smooth as silk. On one of my Bermuda
sailings from NY, many, many people were very seasick. I had the same
experience on a cruise from NYC up to Canada, half the passengers didn't
come to dinner.

We have really been lucky then...three cruises to Bermuda from NYC and calm
seas every time!

--Jean

Old June 17th, 2006, 04:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Sailing from Boston or NYC, it is still the Atlantic Ocean. The ride could
be very rough or it could be as smooth as silk. On one of my Bermuda
sailings from NY, many, many people were very seasick. I had the same
experience on a cruise from NYC up to Canada, half the passengers didn't
come to dinner.

We have really been lucky then...three cruises to Bermuda from NYC and calm
seas every time!

The SGC2003 was wonderful, but when I sailed on the Pacific Princess,
the weather was so bad they closed off the outside and had barf bags
all over the place. So many people on that ship/sailing were so sick.

sue
Old June 17th, 2006, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

The only time I saw barf bags passed out on a ship was about a year and a
half ago. We were on the Regal Princess sailing from Bar Harbor to Boston.
It was difficult to walk, we bumped into walls a lot. We spent the day in
Boston as scheduled but the Captain decided not to leave that night. We
stayed in Boston and skipped the next port, which was Newport. I guess we
will never get to see those mansions.
Don

Old June 17th, 2006, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"~~Alan~~" wrote in message
My wife has heard that the seas can be a bit rough on the NCL Majesty
between Boston and Bermuda. Is there any truth to this and if so, how bad
is it really? What causes this phenomenon? Are the waters any more rough
than the NYC to Bermuda cruise?

~alan

We were on RCCL's Jewel OTS in October from Boston to Bermuda and then on
to the Eastern Caribbean. More than half the people didn't come to dinner.
Apparently we had 105 MPH winds and 35 foot seas. Once we got to Bermuda it
was perfect, and coming back was fine. No judging Mother Nature.
Momma

Old June 17th, 2006, 08:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

The SGC2003 was wonderful, but when I sailed on the Pacific Princess,
the weather was so bad they closed off the outside and had barf bags
all over the place. So many people on that ship/sailing were so sick.

You weren't even on the Pac PRincess when Gustav ran across our bow ...
Now that was something ...