Clueless first-timer needs advice about cruises please

Old August 5th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Bob Thomas

Default Clueless first-timer needs advice about cruises please

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 02:24:28 +0000 (UTC), Juliana L Holm
wrote:

Not necessarily. I'm doing the Baltics, and in order to achieve the
objective of minimising hotel changes (and thus luggage movement) and
to see the number of different locations, this is really the best
option. I know there are many who cruise just for the cruise, but this
isn't to say that they should dominate those who don't.

On what cruise line. This doesn't sound like a standard mass market cruise,
so the rules may be different. Although it is in Europe, which is, if anything
more formal than the Caribbean. What has your travel agent told you, and what
cruise line/ship will you be on?

Marco Polo, a Baltic Cruise. I don't think it would have been
practical to go to all those little places travelling independantly,
so cruising seems the best option in terms of safety, little luggage
carrying, stability etc.

I wouldn't drag others around old churches or expect to have to sit
out my time in a coffee shop. Similarly, I wouldn't ask anyone *not*
to wear a tux, and I'd just like the courtesy reciprocated.

You do realize that the dress code does not mandate tux? At most it
mandates slacks (which you are already planning to bring) and a jacket. It ma
y be just slacks and a shirt with a collar.

Tuxes are always mandatory.

I'm guessing you mean "optional" here.

Looks like the compromise is going to be a navy jacket and slacks.
maybe even a tie! (A tie doesn't add much to my load, although no-one
ever sees it beneath the beard).

Bob T.
Old August 5th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Juliana L Holm

Bob Thomas wrote:
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 02:07:19 GMT, "Tom & Linda"
wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a navy jacket for the occasion .... my
concession to the formal set. 8*)

That's probably ideal.

--
Julie
**********

Old August 5th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Juliana L Holm

Sagittaria wrote:
Sue, we have been on three NCL cruises- two 7 day ones on The
Norway and Norwegian Sea and a fourteen day one on the Norwegian
Crown and I did not see any shorts in the dining room in the
evening...morning and noon, yes, but not in the evening.
In fact, I just pulled a *Cruise News* letter from my file on the
Norwegian
Sea and it states, "Please no shorts after 6:00 PM in our lounges
and restaurants."

--Jean

Their website also says: "We do not allow jeans, T-shirts, shorts,
cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of the restaurants at
dinner."

But I have seen nice jeans many times. I suspect the jeans is in there so
they can toss you out if yours are grungy. If they are nice, they don't seem
to bother.

--
Julie
**********

Old August 5th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Sagittaria wrote:
Charles wrote in
d:

In article , Otis
McNatt wrote:

Now I know that I must look incredibly uninformed, but what do
the people eat who don't want to participate in such a formal
dinner? Are there other alternatives?

Howard explained the dress code but I would add that Century is
not one of those ships that has good alternatives to the regular
dining room. They do have alternative dining and a sushi bar in
the lido area but I don't recomend it.

Do they have complimentary room service?

Yes, the main stream cruise lines have complimentary room service. On
most cruise lines it is only sandwiches, salads, etc not the same menu
as the dining room. When you get room service, a small tip is customary.

sue

Old August 5th, 2004, 03:06 PM
JEFFCOUD

No, in fact it is the cruise line's recommendation for the atmosphere they are
trying to put forth. You just don't want to get it obviously.

Isn't it a "me, me, me" approach to say that everyone has to dress up?

Old August 5th, 2004, 03:06 PM
JEFFCOUD

Old August 5th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Dillon Pyron

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:29:13 +1000, Bob Thomas
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 03:10:44 GMT, Dillon Pyron
wrote:

I've found that packing two pairs of slacks (Dockers or the like, one
dark, one light) will do the trick. I wear them for dinner and
nothing else. Of course, this is in the Caribbean.

That's the current plan ... plus a navy jacket if I buy one in time.

Now I have a new problem to deal with ... the cruise company I took
the cruise from has just admitted to me that they do not, after all,
pay for all on-board tipping (despite saying so in their brochure). So
now I'm faced with yet another expense that wasn't budgeted for!

The fine print always gets you. Especially when it's not printed.

bummer ....

Bob T.

--
dillon

When I was a kid, I thought the angel's name was Hark
and the horse's name was Bob.