Pompeii vs Herculaneum tour suggestions

Old January 28th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Tony McCann

Default Pompeii vs Herculaneum tour suggestions

Does anyone have information about day tours to P or H. Is one location
better than the other. I have heard that H is better. Would visiting both
in one day be rushed?
Tony McCann

Old January 28th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Juliana L Holm

Tony McCann wrote:
Does anyone have information about day tours to P or H. Is one location
better than the other. I have heard that H is better. Would visiting both
in one day be rushed?

I have been to Pompeii but not (yet) Herculaum. You could not do justice to
Pompeii and also do another ruin in the same day.

--
Julie
**********

http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Dan Stephenson

In article , Tony McCann
wrote:

Does anyone have information about day tours to P or H. Is one location
better than the other. I have heard that H is better. Would visiting both
in one day be rushed?
Tony McCann

I liked both and would recommend spending one day for each. One day
for both would not let you see enough, particularly of Pompeii.

Herculaneum is better preserved in many ways as compared to Pompeii,
but Pompeii is larger - a real city - including theatres and an arena.
Herculaneum is more like a resort village on the sea.

I spent all day at Pompeii and did not finish - it is just huge. You
can see all of Herculaneum in one day.

Something else to consider is that a lot of the artifacts from the
sites are in the National Archeological Museum in Naples. This
includes the awesome Battle of Issus mosaic depicting the charge of
Alexander the Great to Darius, the emperor of Persia.

Here are some links that might help:

http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda/Gra...toAlbum60.html

http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda/Gra...toAlbum62.html

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
Old January 28th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Alan Harrison

"Tony McCann" wrote in message
Does anyone have information about day tours to P or H. Is one location
better than the other. I have heard that H is better. Would visiting

both
in one day be rushed?

The answer to your final question is "Yes".

I'm not sure what you mean by "day tours". From where would you be starting?
I would STRONGLY advise against the "day trip from Rome" option. If you are
staying in Rome, go to Ostia Antica. If you are staying in or near
Naples/Sorrentine peninsula, I would advise the following:

Take the Circumvesuviana train to Pompei Scavi (Villa dei Misteri) on at
least one day and visit Pompeii. On another day go to Herculaneum and the
so-called Villa of Poppaea at Torre Annunziata, both on the Circumvesuviana
line and, for a first visit at least, "doable" in the same day.

Alan Harrison

Old January 28th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Poetic Justice

Tony McCann wrote:

Does anyone have information about day
tours to P or H.

Hi Tony, By 'day tours' do you mean bus tours? If so, from where (Rome,
Naples, Sorrento, etc).
In 3 trips (off season) to Herculaneum, I don't recall ever seeing any
bus tour groups or any hotel or tourist info office pamphlets
advertising bus tours there.
Pompeii has alot of bus tours from as far away as Rome. But the Rome
ones cost twice as much as doing it yourself and only spent ~2hrs on the
site. And they will probably stop at a couple of factory outlets
(cameos, furniture) and do a drive-thru of Naples and possibly Sorrento.
A very long day (12-14hrs) for 2hrs at the site with the rest of the
herd. On your own from Rome you can be at Pompeii in 3hrs.

Is one location better than the other. I
have heard that H is better.

My opinion: Pompeii is a *complete* walled-in city, sort of a mini-Rome.
Herculaneum is just a small section of a smaller city (population wise
~25% of Pompeii). But it is better preserved than Pompeii and it has a
better 'going back in time' feel to it for me.
IMO Pompeii is the far better choice. Esp now that some of Herculaneum
is closed off and it was already small to begin with.

Would visiting both in one day be rushed?

I don't know where you are stating from but let me give you a timeline.
Ok 1st off I'm a history nerd, so *I* have to see and find
*everything*. I'm still debating on visiting Pompeii for the 5th time
next March.
But for the average tourist, they could easily spend an enjoyable day
there or they could walk thru the site and see many highlights in 4hrs.
Herculaneum is alot smaller and you can leisurely do the audioguide
tour and explore alittle in 2hrs.
If you have the Circumvesuviana train schedule you can be from inside
Pompeii to inside Herculaneum in ~45min.
Both sites have very informative audioguide tours, Pompeii's has a 2, 4
or 6 hr itinerary.
If your email address is valid I'm going to send a tripreport with
detailed directions that I have posted in the past. I will put POMPEII
in the Subject Line.
Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old January 29th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Pickin@fiddle

We went year before last. I suggest you go to Naples. See the museum
mentioned earlier in this thread. (I really wish we had.) Take the
Circumvesuviana (spelling?). Got to Sorrento. Check out the beach town,
wonderful little hotel there right off the town square. Cost us 80$ for
the night and they have a great breakfast. Get on the train and stop at
Opalantis. It's only a couple of hours. Get back on the train and go to
Herculeneum. Plan at least four or five hours, maybe a day. As you walk
down the hill from the train station to the ruins, you will find an
excellent little restaurant on the right hand side of the road. It ain't
fancy, but it had the best doggone pizza we ever had, before or after.
Before you leave, catch the bus at the top of the hill just before the
train station to the volcano. Don't go up there if the volcano is erupting!
station. But watch for thieves. The locals warned me to hide by camera.
Take the train to Pozoulli. That's where the apostle Paul landed after
his shipwreck. See Acts 21 for details. He was there about 80 years
before Mt. Vesuvius had to act up. There is a taxi station in Pozoulli.
Take a taxi and see Solfatarra, Lago D'Averno, the cave of the
Sybillines (sp?) and the ruins of the huge bath at Cuma. The taxi driver
will hurry you. Just give him some Euros and ask him to be patient.
He'll cheer up. Get him to drop you off at the train station at
Pozooulli and go back to Naples for your return to wherever. Read up on
all these places and you will enjoy them.

We loved every bit of it and only regret that we didn't spend one more
day seeing Sorrento and the museum at Naples.

Old January 29th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Alan Harrison

Pickin@fiddle wrote in message news:41FB8D2D.8090108@fiddle...

Get on the train and stop at
Opalantis.

The ancient name of the place was Oplontis (Oplonti in Italian). The station
you would want is Torre Annunziata - Oplonti. On leaving the sation go left
to the main road, turn right and walk about 300 yards. The arcaheaological
site is just beyond the first traffic lights, on thhe left.

It's only a couple of hours. Get back on the train and go to
Herculeneum. Plan at least four or five hours, maybe a day. As you walk
down the hill from the train station to the ruins,

Station name is Ercolano.

Alan Harrison

Old January 29th, 2005, 06:28 PM
B Vaughan

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:18:37 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

Take the train to Pozoulli. That's where the apostle Paul landed after
his shipwreck. See Acts 21 for details. He was there about 80 years
before Mt. Vesuvius had to act up.

I doubt it. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 30th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Poetic Justice

nitram wrote:
A bit of a swim from Malta?

Perhaps he walked, I heard his boss pulled it off once. Regards,