Perth in January and February - Any Good?

Old December 14th, 2005, 05:03 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default Perth in January and February - Any Good?

I see that Perth is very sunny and hot in January and February. Can
anyone tell me more about the area? Is it much less expensive than the
Sydney area? Is the ocean warm? Is it low crime? Any other information
would be appreciated?

Old December 14th, 2005, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote in message
oups.com...
I see that Perth is very sunny and hot in January and February. Can
anyone tell me more about the area? Is it much less expensive than the
Sydney area? Is the ocean warm? Is it low crime? Any other information
would be appreciated?

Less expensive then Sydney. Nice and hot January and February. Well worth a
visit.

--

www.simcard.me.uk/australian_sim_card.htm Australian Sim Cards
www.simcard.me.uk/newzealand_vodafone.htm New Zealand Sim Cards

Old December 14th, 2005, 10:02 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote

I see that Perth is very sunny and hot in January and February. Can
anyone tell me more about the area? Is it much less expensive than the
Sydney area? Is the ocean warm? Is it low crime? Any other information
would be appreciated?

Yes, the ocean is warm, crime is low and it's sunny.

Instead of staying in Perth, stay a short distance south of Perth at
Fremantle. It's a beautiful place, great beaches, museums, restaurants and
history - lots to see and do. Fremantle is about a 25 minute drive south of
Perth. It's one of my favorite places in all of Australia.

Kerry

Credit cards, debt cards, EPTPOS cards, T/C's or cash - what to bring to
Australia.
http://www.capebyron.com/travel-money/

Old December 14th, 2005, 10:49 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote in message
oups.com...
I see that Perth is very sunny and hot in January and February. Can
anyone tell me more about the area? Is it much less expensive than the
Sydney area? Is the ocean warm? Is it low crime? Any other information
would be appreciated?

Yes, the ocean is warm, crime is low and it's warm and sunny most of the
time.

Instead of staying in Perth, may I suggest that you stay in Fremantle which
about a 25 minute drive south of Perth. There's nice beaches, lots of good
restaurants, museums, history etc. It's a fun place with lots to see and do.
In fact it's one of my most favourite places in all of Australia. (I live on
the east coast of Australia)

Have a good trip,

Kerry

What to bring to Australia - credit cards, debit cards, bank cards, EFTPOS
cards, T/C's and/or cash.
http://www.capebyron.com/travel-money

Old December 15th, 2005, 08:27 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"www.poms.co.uk" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I see that Perth is very sunny and hot in January and February. Can
anyone tell me more about the area? Is it much less expensive than
the Sydney area? Is the ocean warm? Is it low crime? Any other
information would be appreciated?

Less expensive then Sydney. Nice and hot January and February. Well
worth a visit.

It will be stinking hot - expect days on end 35 deg C plus. There will be
little to do but hide inside in the airconditioning, burn yourself to a
crisp on the beach or get drunk in pubs and brawl on the streets
afterwards. That's what the locals will be doing.

You will have missed the cricket and be too early for football. It is
entirely the wrong season for wildflowers. There's no real
theatre/culture to speak of. (Remember the local nick-name for the place
is 'Dullsville').

Best bet is to hire a car and get out of the city all together - go down
south to Margaret River where the temperature might be bearable.

Prices for food and everyday things are probably marginally higher than
the east coast and IMO not as good - isolation and strict quarantine
means the range is much lower.

Crime is low by, say US standards but, as I said, the city can get a
little 'boisterous' at night, trains after 10pm or so are not recommended
and the city is known as the burglary capital of Australia.

The people are wonderfully friendly - I never cease to be amazed how
patient bus drivers are with tourists and strangers. Also, for some
unknown reason ,the taxi drivers aren't mad.

I'm not a swimmer, so I can't tell you what the water is like, although
the beaches are much 'wilder' and have fewer facilities than Sydney,
Melbourne or the Gold Coast.

Perth is a very pretty city and the weather is very pleasant at the
moment, but I wouldn't recommend it for more than a day or two if you
like activity, and certainly not at all in February.

Then again, I may be biased. I live here G

R.
--
"To a good wicket-keeper much may be forgiven"