Cruise Ship Baggage Tags

Old January 18th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Traveller

Default Cruise Ship Baggage Tags

Hi all,

I will be taking my first cruise next Saturday on the Norwegian Wind.
One question I have is regarding the baggage identification tags. The
ones we have received are self-adhesive and obviously get stuck on the
bags. My question is where and when.

Do you stick them on the sides of the bags or the top or through the
handle? Do you put them across the openning so they will rip if the
bag is opened? Do you put them on before checking in at the airport or
after you land and clear customs before handing the bags off to the
cruise ship transfer?

Thanks for you advise.
Old January 18th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Mike Cordelli

I would stick them on the bags after you have them and clear customs if you
are traveling internationally. There was a time when you would put them on
at your home airport, and the cruise line would pick up your bags so you
never had to touch them, but I much prefer getting my bags, making sure they
are all there (otherwise you don't know until the ship is sailing), then
turn them over to the cruise people if doing their transfers.

It's a moot point internationally, you have to clear customs with your bags,
then turn them over.

I would stick them next to the handle so they will see them.

Old January 18th, 2004, 03:35 AM
MsPatty4

One question I have is regarding the baggage identification tags. The
ones we have received are self-adhesive and obviously get stuck on the
bags. My question is where and when.

I put mine through the handle like an airline tag. You pull it through and
fold it and it sticks to itself. Your docs should show you how to do it. I
think it says to put them on right after you get off your plane.
Have a great cruise!

~ Patty
Old January 18th, 2004, 01:55 PM
jcoulter

Traveller wrote in
:

Hi all,

I will be taking my first cruise next Saturday on the Norwegian Wind.
One question I have is regarding the baggage identification tags. The
ones we have received are self-adhesive and obviously get stuck on the
bags. My question is where and when.

Do you stick them on the sides of the bags or the top or through the
handle? Do you put them across the openning so they will rip if the
bag is opened? Do you put them on before checking in at the airport or
after you land and clear customs before handing the bags off to the
cruise ship transfer?

Thanks for you advise.

We always put them on just before heading to the pier. If we are flying
that means at the airport, if we are spending the night before in a hotel
that means at the hotel. Put them through the handles so they are most
visible.

Bon voyage
Old January 18th, 2004, 03:16 PM
jcoulter

Odysseus wrote in news:7bxOb.81672$nt4.120675@attbi_s51:

In article . 77,
says...

Traveller wrote in
m:

[...]

Some lines will pull the luggage from the carousel for you if you
purchased transfers from them. If this is the case, put the tags on
the luggage before you check them at the airport. That way your bags
can be identified and, provided everything goes right, will just
appear in your cabin.

HAL did this the last time I used their transfer service. I don't
know if they still do.

We rarely purchase transfers and like to know that everything got there.
I would still pull the bags and let the porter take them after I have
accoutned for them.
Old January 18th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Surfer E2468

Got our baggage tags,and were told to put them on before leaving
home,leaving in 6 days GOD WILLING

Old January 18th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Becca

Surfer E2468 wrote:

Got our baggage tags,and were told to put them on before leaving
home,leaving in 6 days GOD WILLING

One reason to place the baggage tags on your bags, is in case your
luggage gets lost. This way, they can send the luggage to the cruise
line, instead of to your home.

Becca -----just guessing...

GGC http://www.ggc2004.com/
Mariner of the Seas 3/04
Norwegian Dawn http://www.cruisemaster.com/dawn.htm
Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/
Old January 19th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Dick Goldhaber

Back in 2001 we did a Caribbean cruise from San Juan where we flew in on the
date we sailed.

We also decided to take a cab from the airport to the pier rather than the
transfer that was offered.

I dutifully tagged all of my luggage.

When we arrived in San Juan much to my chagrin my luggage my luggage never
arrived at the carousel. It was at that point that Danni suggested that I
should not have tagged the luggage and that I should pray that it show up in
our cabin.

Fortunately it did.

The moral of this story is that if YOU want your luggage, as in the case
where you are arriving a day ahead of time, don't tag it until you are ready
to have it handled by the ship, but please be sure that it IS tagged when
you release it to the porters otherwise they will have no idea of where it
belongs on the ship.

Also, we always place two tags on each piece of luggage just in case one
comes off.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old January 19th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Mike Cordelli

That's why I would never tag my luggage until I have it in my hand at the
airport I'm flying into. I want to know if any of it's missing, I don't
want to be guessing they may or may not have picked it up for transfer to
the ship.

Even when we do the cruise line transfers, we wait until we have the bags to
tag them, then we turn them over. If you tag five bags at home, and they
pick up four, you won't know until the ship has already sailed, way too late
to do anything about it for at least another day or two.

The other thing cruise tags do is scream to anybody who cares "THE PEOPLE
WHOSE NAME AND ADDRESS IS ON THIS TAG WILL BE AWAY FOR AT LEAST A WEEK, AND
THEY CAN AFFORD A CRUISE".

Not something I care for the baggage handlers to be knowing. Pull off one
tag, then head for the house.