Help: Florida Trip in April - Key West, Miami, Orlando

Old January 27th, 2006, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Help: Florida Trip in April - Key West, Miami, Orlando

On 1/25/06 10:33 PM Spam Catcher "tweaked" on too much Starbucks and said:
Hi all,

I'm in the process of planning a 9 - 10 day vacation for my girlfriend
and I. One idea I had is to fly down to Florida (you guys may see other
iteneries I'm planning).

I've been to Florida a bunch of times - but mostly to the Orlando area
(I'm a sucker for Disney World). Here is what I have in mind:

Day
1 Fly to Miami from Toronto
2 Key West
3 Key West
4 Miami
5 Miami
6 Miami
7 Orlando
8 Orlando
9 Orlando
10 Fly to Toronto from Orlando

I did a quick Expedia search and noticed Key West hotels are really
expensive in April (~180CAD/night) - are there any places close to Key
West with more affordable hotels?

Any suggestions on places to visit? We're relatively young - 24 and 25.
My GF doesn't like Disney World at all, so perhaps a couple Orlando days
can be substituted for other areas of Florida. We enjoy historical sites
as well as scenic beach areas.

All suggestions/comments are welcomed. Thanks!

You've chosen to visit South Florida on what is called High Season.
While it varies from destination to destination and lodgings it spans
roughly December 14 to a week or two after Easter. If you can change
your plans to perhaps the second week of May you will get better room
and air rates. Low season room rates are just about half those of High
Season. A $180 per day Bed & Breakfast room during High Season may go
for $90 or $80 a day during Low. Bed & Breakfast inns can be as high or
higher than some Key West hotels like the Casa Marina or Pilot House or
they can be quite reasonable. During Low Season you will have some room
to negotiate a lower price if the innkeeper has rooms they need to
fill. The week of Cinqo de Maio (May 5th) is good because there's
something going on in town, yet the room rates are still Low Season rates.

This link will give you both hotel and B&B listings along with
destination information for the entire Florida Keys.
http://www.fla-keys.com/

Skip Orlando. You've done it and the girlfriend doesn't like it. Keep
the emphasis on romantic locations: Key West do a midnight sail, Little
Pine Key, Bahia Honda, John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Miami, the
Vizcaya mansion, Versailles in Little Havana.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera