internet access on cruises

Old March 5th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Mike Cordelli

Default internet access on cruises

Where are you cruising? It may make more sense to get a modem and a cable
to connect to your cell phone and just dial in if you are in an area where
there is coverage. If you are roaming at a dollar a minute then maybe not,
but if you are in an area where it's on your plan, they maybe.

It's going to be quite difficult to be able to stay connected, especially
with your own computer on a cruise, indeed, it's one of the advantages of a
cruise, that you can't logon whenever there is an issue.

"Angela" wrote in message
om...
I'm hoping there's someone(s) out there that can help out me and my
husband. We have been trying to locate cruise lines/ships that have
internet access where you can use your own laptop (for security
reasons). We both need to stay "connected" for our job and
idealistically would like to have access in our room. High speed
internet is a bonus, but at this point, anything will do. It seems
the cruise lines haven't quite caught up with the web world yet...

Can anyone help us out with good info??? There is too much
information to sift thru to make much sense of everything online....

Many Thanks!!
Angela

Old March 5th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Jaime A. Cruz, Jr.

Mike Cordelli wrote:
Where are you cruising? It may make more sense to get a modem and a cable
to connect to your cell phone and just dial in if you are in an area where
there is coverage. If you are roaming at a dollar a minute then maybe not,
but if you are in an area where it's on your plan, they maybe.

It's going to be quite difficult to be able to stay connected, especially
with your own computer on a cruise, indeed, it's one of the advantages of a
cruise, that you can't logon whenever there is an issue.

BINGO!! My feelings EXACTLY! Let the world revolve WITHOUT me for one
week a year!

--
Jaime A. Cruz
Secretary
Old March 5th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Dick Goldhaber

Mike,

On most of our recent cruises cell phone service was rarely available. Last
year was the second time that Internet service was available. On our Panama
Canal cruise in 2001 we only used the service briefly in order for me to
send an e-mail to my boss requesting that he turn on my computer so that I
could access it when I returned home.

Last year we bought the package on Statendam so that Danni could e-mail her
non-cruising significant other and I could check my stock prices. I can
only remember one day out of 16 going to and from Hawaii where service was
not available.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

. com...

Old March 5th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Mike Cordelli

That's why it depends on where you are going. If you are doing a cruise to
Canada along the coast, you probably have cell service all the way. Between
the islands you will have it a good portion of the time. In the Baltic's,
most of the time. Trans Atlantic probably not at all. All depends on the
route.