Driving from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia

Old November 9th, 2004, 04:20 PM
George Johnson

Default Driving from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia

We're visiting Patagonia in late February and early March, flying in
and out of Punta Arenas, Chile. I'd like to rent a car and drive from
Punta Arenas to Ushuaia and back. Does anyone know if this is a
reasonable thing to try, and how long it might take?

Many thanks in advance.

--
George Johnson
johnson AT santafe DOT edu
Old November 10th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Daniel Masse

George Johnson wrote:
We're visiting Patagonia in late February and early March, flying in
and out of Punta Arenas, Chile. I'd like to rent a car and drive from
Punta Arenas to Ushuaia and back. Does anyone know if this is a
reasonable thing to try, and how long it might take?

A few years ago, we took the bus between Ushuaia and Punta Arenas. It took
about 12 hours, and the road is in reasonably good condition. The bus is
quite comfortable, but it is best to make reservations as soon as possible,
several weeks in advance.

The car rental company may not let you cross borders : better to check with
them before finalizing your plans.

Old November 10th, 2004, 04:32 PM
George Johnson

In article , Daniel Masse
wrote:

A few years ago, we took the bus between Ushuaia and Punta Arenas. It took
about 12 hours, and the road is in reasonably good condition. The bus is
quite comfortable, but it is best to make reservations as soon as possible,
several weeks in advance.

The car rental company may not let you cross borders : better to check with
them before finalizing your plans.

Thanks very much for the advice. Do you recall whether the bus went to
Punta Arenas via Porvenir (folllowed by a two-hour ferry ride) or via
Puerta Delgada? I'm guessing it would be the latter, which involves a
much shorter ferry across the narrowest portion of the Magellan Strait.

We would go from Punta Arenas via Porvenir, but would have to return
via Pta. Delgada -- the Porvenir ferry runs only once a day and not on
Mondays when we would need it.

--
George Johnson
johnson AT santafe DOT edu
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Daniel Masse

George Johnson wrote:
In article , Daniel Masse
Thanks very much for the advice. Do you recall whether the bus went to
Punta Arenas via Porvenir (folllowed by a two-hour ferry ride) or via
Puerta Delgada? I'm guessing it would be the latter, which involves a
much shorter ferry across the narrowest portion of the Magellan
Strait.

Yes, it was via Puerta Delgada. The crossing is very short, and takes only
10 to 15 minutes.

Old November 11th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Daniel Masse

In article , Daniel Masse

Old November 11th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Bart de Graaf

Hi,

My advice would be to take a bus as it takes around 12 hours(Turbus is
a good option , rather punctual and comfortable) and the Car rental
company most probably won't let you cross the Chilean border to
Argentina..

Bart

Bart at Cat-travel dot com

Old November 11th, 2004, 05:48 PM
George Johnson

Thanks very much for the suggestion. The rental company does allow a
border crossing but the extra charge is fairly steep. I'll have to give
this some more thought.

Does anyone have suggestions of places to stay between Punta Arenas and
Ushuaia?

George

Old November 11th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Katja

Hello George
Did you book your hotel accomodation in Ushuaia yet? Reason I'm asking
is because I will be there on 2 March till 5 March and I am looking
for a hotel or albergue. Any place you (or anyone else) would
recommend?
Thanks!

Katja