Delhi hotels

Old October 30th, 2008, 09:23 AM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
AKT

Default Delhi hotels

A middle aged American couple we know would be passing through Delhi
twice.

(i) Once they arrive at 9PM, go to the hotel, spend a good part of the
next day in Connaught Place, then airport late afternoon for a domestic
flight.

(ii) Next time, they arrive during the day, would like 1-2 days in CP
again, but have to catch of those dreaded 1AM flights.

They are experienced travelers and don't expect luxury, but would like
an "age-appropriate" (how they put it) clean, comfortable, quiet, safe
hotel.

Which hotel do you know that will provide the best value? CP location
would be good, but something a quick auto ride away acceptable.

The reason I mentioned 1AM flight is that would want to shower at 7-8
PM and leave for the airport by 8-9 PM. So, if possible, they would not
like to pay for a night they don't sleep. Would any hotel allow shower
facilities, even in the gym area, even at some charge?

Thanks for any info or ideas.
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:22 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , AKT says...
A middle aged American couple we know would be passing through Delhi
twice.

(i) Once they arrive at 9PM, go to the hotel, spend a good part of the
next day in Connaught Place, then airport late afternoon for a domestic
flight.

Well, Connaught place is not really a nice place to be. See here how it
looks:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/India/.../img.php?pic=1

I wouldn't spend more than half an hour there.

(ii) Next time, they arrive during the day, would like 1-2 days in CP
again, but have to catch of those dreaded 1AM flights.

They are experienced travelers and don't expect luxury, but would like
an "age-appropriate" (how they put it) clean, comfortable, quiet, safe
hotel.

Which hotel do you know that will provide the best value? CP location
would be good, but something a quick auto ride away acceptable.

The reason I mentioned 1AM flight is that would want to shower at 7-8
PM and leave for the airport by 8-9 PM. So, if possible, they would not
like to pay for a night they don't sleep. Would any hotel allow shower
facilities, even in the gym area, even at some charge?

That is indeed possible with some hotels, but I don't know which ones
exactly.

Thanks for any info or ideas.

There are other, more interesting things to see in Delhi. See here what
Delhi has to offer:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/India/Delhi/
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
AKT

In article , Alfred Molon
wrote:

: Well, Connaught place is not really a nice place to be. See here how it
: looks:
: http://www.molon.de/galleries/India/.../img.php?pic=1
:
: I wouldn't spend more than half an hour there.

Well these guys have been to Delhi before, when they had a friend to
host them, so I assume they liked CP or some parts of it enough to go
there again.

I know by personality they have no interest in old ruins and monuments,
but would be interested in markets and street life, fancy as well as
down to earth.

However they did say they don't have to stay in CP and could take an
auto to/from hotel. So I could suggest something else.

Which area of delhi would you pick to stay in? For stay as well as
vicinity to interesting stuff. How is Karolbagh?

Old October 30th, 2008, 03:51 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , AKT says...

Which area of delhi would you pick to stay in? For stay as well as
vicinity to interesting stuff. How is Karolbagh?

I actually didn't really like Delhi. But the area around the Jama Masjid
mosque is a bit more interesting: there is the mosque, and nearby are
some markets. The national museum is quite interesting as well.
Otherwise I would leave Delhi as soon as possible.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:07 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
harmony

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , AKT says...

Which area of delhi would you pick to stay in? For stay as well as
vicinity to interesting stuff. How is Karolbagh?

I actually didn't really like Delhi. But the area around the Jama Masjid
mosque is a bit more interesting: there is the mosque, and nearby are
some markets. The national museum is quite interesting as well.
Otherwise I would leave Delhi as soon as possible.
--

Alfred Molon

c.p. is a pretty good and safe area. don't listen to this silly man alfred
who is telling you to stay in islamic place which is for most part is filthy
and even high crime. india is not an islamic country.

Old October 30th, 2008, 05:14 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
grusl[_4_]

"harmony" wrote in message
. ..

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , AKT says...

Which area of delhi would you pick to stay in? For stay as well as
vicinity to interesting stuff. How is Karolbagh?

I actually didn't really like Delhi. But the area around the Jama Masjid
mosque is a bit more interesting: there is the mosque, and nearby are
some markets. The national museum is quite interesting as well.
Otherwise I would leave Delhi as soon as possible.
--

Alfred Molon

c.p. is a pretty good and safe area.

There's nothing much to see around there. It's also being redeveloped so a
lot of what was there is gone and plans are to turn it into a giant shopping
mall for tourists.

don't listen to this silly man alfred who is telling you to stay in islamic
place which is for most part is filthy and even high crime.

The crime rate for tourists is negligible. Goa is worse.

india is not an islamic country.

It has its own brands of extremists instead.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
AKT

In article , grusl
wrote:

{CP is} also being redeveloped so a lot of what was there is gone and
plans are to turn it into a giant shopping mall for tourists.

I do agree with that, but hey that's what this couple is: tourists,
interested in shops!

India is a big country and what's wrong if a miniscule portion of it
caters to tourists? People who are interested in other parts, like
trekking or culture or old ruins, can go there. Seems fair enough.
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:51:10 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , AKT says...

Which area of delhi would you pick to stay in? For stay as well as
vicinity to interesting stuff. How is Karolbagh?

I actually didn't really like Delhi. But the area around the Jama Masjid
mosque is a bit more interesting: there is the mosque, and nearby are
some markets. The national museum is quite interesting as well.
Otherwise I would leave Delhi as soon as possible.

I stayed in the Karol Bagh markets district and quite
enjoyed it.

My first night was at the Florence. Well located, very close
to the markets. http://www.hotelflorence.in/

My only difficulty there was that my room was internal,
without any windows at all. I would have preferred a room
with windows, but if the guests don't want street noise it
would be good. The quality of the room, the service and the
breakfast were excellent. They do have rooms with a view but
I arrived late and without a booking so I accepted what was
available. Maybe that is part of the reason for three
different room rates. Possibly there may be better rates on
the net.

My final two nights were at the Grand Park Inn; it was
acceptable, but not good, and I don't recommend it.

On the late shower need, I would recommend selecting a short
list of half a dozen hotels and emailing them with that
request, including advice of any additional tariff charged.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Two Indian Hotels: to Sleep, Perchance...
Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,alt.bonehead.jai-maharaj
Wanderer

harmony aka pradip**** parekh wrote:

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , AKT says...

Which area of delhi would you pick to stay in? For stay as well as
vicinity to interesting stuff. How is Karolbagh?

I actually didn't really like Delhi. But the area around the Jama Masjid
mosque is a bit more interesting: there is the mosque, and nearby are
some markets. The national museum is quite interesting as well.
Otherwise I would leave Delhi as soon as possible.
--

Alfred Molon

c.p. is a pretty good and safe area. don't listen to this silly man alfred
who is telling you to stay in islamic place which is for most part is filthy
and even high crime. india is not an islamic country.

Most of India is filthy, and Delhi is the rape capital of India. But
what is important is to denigrate Muslims and Christians, and blame the
filth, the crime, the poverty and the human indignity that is rampant in
"hindu areas" on Muslims and Christians, rather than accept the
responsibility and do something about it. Of course, visualizing the
filth that is much of India is difficult to do from the serene, orderly
and sanitized surroundings of Victoria, TX.
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:25 AM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,alt.bonehead.jai-maharaj
Mudali

On Nov 3, 4:51*pm, Wanderer wrote:
harmony aka pradip**** parekh wrote:

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
m...
In article , AKT says...

http://www.molon.de- Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

c.p. is a pretty good and safe area. don't listen to this silly man alfred
who is telling you to stay in islamic place which is for most part is filthy
and even high crime. india is not an islamic country.

Most of India is filthy, and Delhi is the rape capital of India. But
what is important is to denigrate Muslims and Christians, and blame the
filth, the crime, the poverty and the human indignity that is rampant in
"hindu areas" on Muslims and Christians, rather than accept the
responsibility and do something about it. Of course, visualizing the
filth that is much of India is difficult to do from the serene, orderly
and sanitized surroundings of Victoria, TX.- Hide quoted text -

You are a Parawa Fisherman and a Black coolie of Church. No one will
rape or **** your wife!

If you or your wife is FAIR color, it is a gift from the PORTUGUESE!

But you are happy when a WHITE man screw your wife!