United equipment transpacific

Old November 20th, 2006, 07:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Miguel Cruz

Default United equipment transpacific

Time for the semiannual trip across the Pacific. Anyone done this on
United recently? Has the economy class (or economy plus) experience
improved since my last SIN-HKG-SFO-NRT-SIN ordeal? Or is it still the
1972 planes?

miguel
--
Hit the road! Photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu
Detailed airport information: http://airport.u.nu
Old November 20th, 2006, 05:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bob Myers

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Time for the semiannual trip across the Pacific. Anyone done this on
United recently? Has the economy class (or economy plus) experience
improved since my last SIN-HKG-SFO-NRT-SIN ordeal? Or is it still the
1972 planes?

If you can get Economy Plus in a 777, it's tolerable; pray for
a biz class upgrade, of course...

My last was last month; SFO-NGO-TPE-ICN-NRT-SFO. Sigh.

Bob M.

Old November 20th, 2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Blake S

"Bob Myers" wrote in message
news

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Time for the semiannual trip across the Pacific. Anyone done this on
United recently? Has the economy class (or economy plus) experience
improved since my last SIN-HKG-SFO-NRT-SIN ordeal? Or is it still the
1972 planes?

If you can get Economy Plus in a 777, it's tolerable; pray for
a biz class upgrade, of course...

My last was last month; SFO-NGO-TPE-ICN-NRT-SFO. Sigh.

Bob M.

United uses 3 types of planes on these routes, 747-400, 777 configuration 1,
and 777 configuration 2. They retired their older 747's several years ago.
Basically, the 777's are about the same, with configuration 1 having more
economy plus seats and less business seats. You can see these
configurations on seatguru.com...

I probably wouldn't fly United on the transpacific flights if I didn't have
so many miles with them. Service will be better on Singapore, Cathay, EVA
(especially their new 777's) IMO. Even Northwest has very modern A330's
with the new ptv's that pretty much blows United antiquated ptvs away.

United really needs to update their ptvs. There's an inherant problem with
the sound that stutters and turns on and off during the movies. I've
experienced the same problem on many different planes. Sometimes I can't
even watch the movie because the sound is so muddled (or off) that makes the
movie unwatchable. I think "You, Me and Dupree" is probably a pretty funny
movie, but I wouldn't know for sure because the sound was off 80% of the
time. Another thing United does sometimes is that they show the eastbound
movies on the westbound flights and vice-versa. Someone really needs to pay
attention.

Old November 20th, 2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Time for the semiannual trip across the Pacific. Anyone done this on
United recently? Has the economy class (or economy plus) experience
improved since my last SIN-HKG-SFO-NRT-SIN ordeal? Or is it still the
1972 planes?

miguel
--
Hit the road! Photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu
Detailed airport information: http://airport.u.nu

United's oldest 744 is approximately 1988 vintage, but their interior in
economy is still the same gray shades. First and Business now have new
seats however.

Old November 20th, 2006, 10:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Blake S

"Jeff Hacker" wrote in message
om...

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Time for the semiannual trip across the Pacific. Anyone done this on
United recently? Has the economy class (or economy plus) experience
improved since my last SIN-HKG-SFO-NRT-SIN ordeal? Or is it still the
1972 planes?

miguel
--
Hit the road! Photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu
Detailed airport information: http://airport.u.nu

United's oldest 744 is approximately 1988 vintage, but their interior in
economy is still the same gray shades. First and Business now have new
seats however.

Since when? The 744 I flew on a couple weeks ago had the same business
seats they've had for years.

Old November 21st, 2006, 01:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Bob Myers

"Blake S" wrote in message
nk.net...

I probably wouldn't fly United on the transpacific flights if I didn't
have so many miles with them. Service will be better on Singapore,
Cathay, EVA (especially their new 777's) IMO. Even Northwest has very
modern A330's with the new ptv's that pretty much blows United antiquated
ptvs away.

Same here; I fly out of Denver, and United gets just about all of
my domestic business as a result. So when it comes time to do
the overseas stuff - I'm also in Asia about twice a year - they get that
too. Could be worse.

United really needs to update their ptvs. There's an inherant problem
with the sound that stutters and turns on and off during the movies.

Most often, I've found that to be a problem in the headphone jack
in the seat, and have been able to at least temporarily "fix" it just
by wiggling the plug a bit. If this is a system problem you're talking
about, I guess I've been lucky on my recent flights.

United's food service on the transpacific legs seems to have declined
considerably this past year, as well, not that it could hold a candle to,
say, Singapore or Thai to begin with.

Bob M.